Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:25 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Being too old is the big one for me.

I'm at that crossroads in my life where I feel I am too old to go into debt to learn a new field, so all I can do is try to maintain what I have now in my industry.

My body has been breaking down at an alarming rate the past few years. I've been dealing with a knee ligament issue the past six months and it seems like every little thing keeps cropping up. Not good when your job is physical.
Please look up prolotherapy and perineural injection therapy for your knees. You can heal 100%, but also address whatever underlying issue you might have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 02:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Not everyone will get a job. If necessary, start your own business or do anything you can to make a living.

I recently heard about a guy out of college who could get no work at all. He finally started making and selling jars of chutney. He does quite well now. Do whatever you can, whatever it takes.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:46 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,252,026 times
I don't view "over 40" as an issue, but over something like 55 does become an issue at getting a job comparable to what one is doing. The other ones I control, so not worried about those things.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:40 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Companies today do not really want older people unless they have a skillset so niche that the company has no choice but to throw their hands up out of desperation and hire them.
And even then lots of companies just don't bother hiring and would rather suffer the consequences of doing nothing.

Old 08-26-2017, 12:44 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnewyorkcity View Post
I think one of the issues with America is that working hard no longer means much.
Growing up I never thought I would ever see America get to this point, but it is true.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:18 PM

341 posts, read 293,190 times
I am a 52 year old male so I am starting to worry a bit about the "age" thing.

I am single so at least I don't have anyone to support. But I am taking steps to mitigate a sudden loss of my income (six figures), by paying off my home, being debt free, and living way below my means to save money.

Fortunately I am in decent shape and I try to stay current on technology, music, etc so I don't appear "old", and I relate well to people of all ages. I like helping people so if I can help a younger person get a job maybe they can help me one day when I am really old and need a job .

Old 08-27-2017, 01:05 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
As far as the age thing is concerned, I'd gun for jobs and careers where the age factor doesn't apply. I see plenty of folks in their 50s-70s working in the trucking and nursing fields. Some of them veterans at the trade, others switching into it from other things in their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment