Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:12 PM

457 posts, read 646,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
It seems like anything nowadays can disqualify you from getting a good job, no matter how skilled and motivated you are:
  • "Criminal" record, especially felonies
  • Bad reference
  • Employment "gaps"
  • Poor credit report/score
  • Being "too old" (40+)

I have a good job and I live in perpetual fear of getting laid off and never getting a good job again. If I got cancer, I would care so much about the fact that I might die as I would the fact that being sick and taking time off work might make it hard to re-enter the workforce.

Is fear of losing the reason why so many Americans work themselves so hard?
Not having a criminal record, alone, does you NO GOOD WHATSOEVER these days if the other four are true. It's as if you have to find another country to live in where references, employment gaps, and your credit can't follow you there - and hope that being in your mid-40's won't keep you unemployable there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
LOL
People with criminal records get hired everyday
People with "bad references" get hired everyday
People with "employment gaps" get hired everyday
People with poor/bad credit get hired everyday
People over 40 get hired everyday

If you can't get the job. most of the time the problem is you.
they do? how do you know that or do you just assume it? certainly not for professional white collar jobs do people with the above 'get hired everyday' most likely except for credit & bad references the other issues above can be glaringly apparent on ones Resume so they are likely summarily rejected and never even called for an interview

Old 08-04-2016, 03:41 AM

901 posts, read 747,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
they do? how do you know that or do you just assume it? certainly not for professional white collar jobs do people with the above 'get hired everyday' most likely except for credit & bad references the other issues above can be glaringly apparent on ones Resume so they are likely summarily rejected and never even called for an interview
I know it because it's a fact. I know that it doesn't fit the narrative of the depressed and negative unemployed posters on city data these depressives should spend less time reading Yahoo news feed. maybe if people started believing in themselves and getting out of their head and stopped making excuses and putting false limitations on themselves they might actually succeed in life. And just because your phone isn't ringing off the hook with job offers doesn't mean that other people's aren't

Old 08-04-2016, 03:48 AM

3 posts, read 2,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
1. People control their criminal history by not committing crimes.
2. People control their references by only providing the names of people will give a good reference.
3 Employment gaps can be mitigated by doing freelance or volunteer work should unemployment drag on past a few months .
4. Poor credit can be controlled by paying bills, repairing credit report, or targeting jobs where credit doesn't matter.
5. After age 40, one can plan to stay long term in a current position, stay abreast of latest technology, keep skills updated, move to become an "expert" in the field by getting published, speaking at conferences, etc.

No need to live in fear.
Best reply ever.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:51 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
refereneces can be faked very easily and gaps can also be carefully faked with fake jobs. Age, can't do anything other than makeup and hair dye, credit, some states outlaw it.

But yea the modern hiring process is designed so that lazy HR and other people can screen you with little effort since companies rarely hire for qualifications now a days so improving your skills is almost worthless. You are better off learning to politic and network rather than gain valueable skills.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:13 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,738 times
Sometimes. The fear doesn't drive me crazy or consume my thoughts but sometimes I do worry.

I do have a gap on the resume and a degree that is largely seen as "useless" by many employers. That being said I am gainfully employed and am working on getting a position (within the current company) that I truly want but yes there is worry. It seems today that if you don't graduate with the nursing, accounting, computer programming, etc... type degree or don't know anyone internally then you are really relying on luck to land that minuscule # of entry level jobs for which a lot more people are applying for.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:05 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,936 times
The problem coming is TPP which will eliminate more manufacturing jobs in the USA. This will act like NAFTA and help other countries like China and hurt the US.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:09 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
THe modern work world sucks these days anyways Your best bet is to become self employed or at least land a public sector job where most of that "corporate crapola" seen in the private sector doesn't pertain most of the time

It's not really the work world. It's just the cesspool private sector

Old 08-06-2016, 06:01 PM

245 posts, read 382,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
It seems like anything nowadays can disqualify you from getting a good job, no matter how skilled and motivated you are:
  • "Criminal" record, especially felonies
  • Bad reference
  • Employment "gaps"
  • Poor credit report/score
  • Being "too old" (40+)

I have a good job and I live in perpetual fear of getting laid off and never getting a good job again. If I got cancer, I would care so much about the fact that I might die as I would the fact that being sick and taking time off work might make it hard to re-enter the workforce.

Is fear of losing the reason why so many Americans work themselves so hard?
I don't live in fear but it already has happened to me. Haven't held a full time jobs since 2011, references are stale. You can imagine the employment gap on my resume although I have done some day jobs along the way. I have poor credit with a couple of judgements I need to discharge with bankruptcy but I can't afford to do that. And I'm going to be 40 in October, Yippee.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:19 PM

924 posts, read 752,389 times
Sometimes I worry about that with my employer.....from my viewpoint, it's almost getting to where you "have" to be fluent in a specific non-English language to have a decent chance at getting hired. (Job postings don't come out and say that it's required to be fluent in "Language X", but it IS listed as "helpful".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment