Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:07 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times

Advertisements

What? Then do you want us to give you a pat on the back and say hurry up and switch instead? You posted your opinion, I posted a different one. I think you should stick around long enough to learn the skills needed for that position, if at that time you want to change jobs then go. But to me, you haven't learned what you needed to do that job yet.

You got hired for a job, manager brought you in to do it. Him not being there doesn't mean the job isn't there. Do job and then incorporate it into your skill set. Then apply for a promotion

You are being hostile because we don't agree? People should switch jobs when they hit a wall in their skillset, not out of panic. There is nothing to say the next company would be any better. How do you know the new job isn't due to a restructuring? Or someone who left due to a bad manager? Or any other reason? Sure you can ask, but do you really know? At least if you have the skills people want, you can be more selective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 01:07 PM
SQL SQL started this thread

1,337 posts, read 1,193,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke_D View Post
No it's not! You are just reading it wrong! See what I did there?

But seriously, it's not just city-data that is like this. All of America has a "blame the individual" mentality. We love our big corporations and big government. Makes us feel all warm and safe to know that those big guys are there and have our best interests in mind.
I agree. I also think that people want to refuse to believe that there are issues. If they can convince themselves that the issue doesn't exist, or that the individual is to blame for everything, then they allow themselves to feel safeguarded against the topic/issues being discussed.

Repeat after me. "If it doesn't exist, it can't hurt me. If it doesn't exist, it can't hurt me. If it doesn't exist, it can't hurt me. If it doesn't exist..."

Old 06-24-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
What? Then do you want us to give you a pat on the back and say hurry up and switch instead? You posted your opinion, I posted a different one. I think you should stick around long enough to learn the skills needed for that position, if at that time you want to change jobs then go. But to me, you haven't learned what you needed to do that job yet.

You got hired for a job, manager brought you in to do it. Him not being there doesn't mean the job isn't there. Do job and then incorporate it into your skill set

You are being hostile because we don't agree?
This isn't the problem. You've clearly not been through many restructures or hostile take-overs, so I forgive your ignorance. Let me clue you in, because I've been through three already in my short career.

When a manager hires someone, they may have a specific purpose for the new employee to fulfill besides just doing the job at hand. In my case, my former manager wanted an analytics guy to help him with the analytics. But now that manager is gone. Whatever his directives were, they may not be the same with the new, incoming manager. They may want to go an entirely new direction. In fact, that is what happens when old management leaves and new management comes in. Clearly the CEO didn't think the old management was working, so now they are seeking a new direction. Whether or not my skill set and experience falls in line with that, I have no clue. The execs aren't saying anything to us about it either.

I have bills, so of course I'm concerned with what happens with my position. As of right now, I have no manager or mentor. And because I'm only six weeks into a new position, I really don't know what the hell I am expected to do now.

And I'm not being hostile, I've explained very clearly what my concerns are, but you refuse to have any empathy towards my situation. Your objective is to be right, not to be helpful. That's how it seems.

Last edited by SQL; 06-24-2016 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 01:25 PM

61 posts, read 42,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
I agree. I also think that people want to refuse to believe that there are issues. If they can convince themselves that the issue doesn't exist, or that the individual is to blame for everything, then they allow themselves to feel safeguarded against the topic/issues being discussed.

Repeat after me. "If it doesn't exist, it can't hurt me. If it doesn't exist, it can't hurt me. If it doesn't exist, it can't hurt me. If it doesn't exist..."

Refusing to believe that there are issues is one of the biggest reasons America has been allowed to slip as low as it has.
We live in a dreamworld of sorts that has been/is being created by powerful people.
Most Americans go through life as optimistic zombies following the script and up until recently that has worked for most people but now things have changed.
You can only extract so much value out of a society before a large swath of people wake up and realize that something is not right.

Remember! "It can't happen here!"

Old 06-24-2016, 01:33 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
I think this is why there is a big shift to a "sharing economy". The Millennials realize what a mess our economy is and they don't want to be bogged down with financial commitments when you know what hits the fan ever 2-3 years.

Unfortunately, I have both a mortgage and a car payment. Shame on me for thinking I had a stable job eight years into my career..
I'm not sure about a sharing economy or any sort of communal type culture. Many Americans, myself included, are often too individualistic for that. I don't want roommates or really anyone other than family or a romantic interest living with me. I don't want to "share my possessions."

Who knows, maybe we'll basically be forced into that going forward. In any event, I do think there is going to be a lot less of being anchored in one spot if you want a lucrative career, and if you do settle down, you may need to accept the fact that you'll be less wealthy and less stable.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm not sure about a sharing economy or any sort of communal type culture. Many Americans, myself included, are often too individualistic for that. I don't want roommates or really anyone other than family or a romantic interest living with me. I don't want to "share my possessions."

Who knows, maybe we'll basically be forced into that going forward. In any event, I do think there is going to be a lot less of being anchored in one spot if you want a lucrative career, and if you do settle down, you may need to accept the fact that you'll be less wealthy and less stable.
Here in Denver, shared car programs, Uber/Lyft, AirBnB, shared bikes, etc., are hugely popular. That's probably why my perception leans that way.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke_D View Post
No it's not! You are just reading it wrong! See what I did there?

But seriously, it's not just city-data that is like this. All of America has a "blame the individual" mentality. We love our big corporations and big government. Makes us feel all warm and safe to know that those big guys are there and have our best interests in mind.
I'm not a shill. But what has a big corporation done to you? Is the real problem unrealistic expectations?

Nothing in life is promised. No company or job ever said that it was going to make your life perfect.

So what specifically are you blaming corporations for?

If you have a job, great. That doesn't mean that job is yours forever.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:51 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Here in Denver, shared car programs, Uber/Lyft, AirBnB, shared bikes, etc., are hugely popular. That's probably why my perception leans that way.
The people that can actually get by on this type of thing is fairly small and going to largely be confined to dense urban areas. I'm from east Tennessee and there isn't anywhere near the density for that to work, and things are just too spread out.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:54 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
I read your job history. Did you realize that by leaving your three previous jobs that you were adding to the instability of which you are so critical?

Old 06-24-2016, 01:58 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
When a manager hires someone, they may have a specific purpose for the new employee to fulfill besides just doing the job at hand. In my case, my former manager wanted an analytics guy to help him with the analytics. But now that manager is gone. Whatever his directives were, they may not be the same with the new, incoming manager. They may want to go an entirely new direction. In fact, that is what happens when old management leaves and new management comes in. Clearly the CEO didn't think the old management was working, so now they are seeking a new direction. Whether or not my skill set and experience falls in line with that, I have no clue. The execs aren't saying anything to us about it either.
Ok, and by taking the position, what did you have in mind? If you got hired on for a project, what happens when the project is over?

did you hope the manager would somehow keep finding work for you? This is the part about your current position that doesn't make sense to me. If you were reliant on the job because you got hired for analytics, what happens after you finished it? Even if manager was not fired, would you still have current job?

if the project was big enough to be long term, then it is still big enough that they would keep the analytics guy through the new management team.

you keep mentioning your mortgage, so I'd guess that means you are stuck in the local area, I don't know about tech/it/whatever fields, but the one I'm in, people get to know each other. It's a small field. Bouncing around gets noticed, and it isn't always good to be noticed for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment