Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:38 PM

290 posts, read 547,584 times

Advertisements

I've never understood why people with money do not see the amazing potential to open franchises here. So many areas have nothing but McDonalds and Subway. Burger Kings and Taco Bells are few and far between. Same with Arby's. KFCs are often not convenient to get to. Why no Arby's/Sbarro or A&W/KFC shared buildings? Why no Little Ceasars ($5 large pizza that you don't have to pre-order would be a goldmine here)? I'm glad that Panda Express has been opening up more stand-alone locations. And there are so many more new fast casual concepts that haven't even made it here yet.

Newer built-out areas in the far suburbs seem to have more options, but why hasn't that happened closer in? There is a huge need and they are guaranteed money makers. Ever see the lines for the Taco Bell/KFC in Kingstowne? I wonder why existing franchise owners don't try to open up more.

Such a mystery to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 04:02 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
Little Caesars is, to my knowledge, not in this part of the country. They closed up shop in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic many years ago.

S'barros is bankrupt so you probably won't see them open any new locations soon.

Since you specifically mentioned "closer-in" suburbs, I think the problem there is that they're totally built out. Any new restaurants have to replace old ones, which drives rents higher, which pushes out fast-food operators that have to operate on low margins. Down in, say, Prince William County, land is cheaper, building is easier, and it doesn't take quite as much in sales to survive.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:19 PM

172 posts, read 564,003 times
Just read on the McAlister's Deli website that they're opening a location in Herndon. Not sure when, but I'm excited about it - great food & the very best iced tea.
Aside from the Front Royal location, looks like the Herndon shop is their first venture into NoVA - I hope they are successful!
McAlister's Deli | Restaurants

Old 04-24-2011, 04:35 PM

57 posts, read 90,139 times
We need White Castles and Rallys!!!

My fast food favorites here are Moby Dick and Five Guys. I think the area has a decent collection of fast food places. We definitely got Mexican covered with Baja Fresh, Taco Bell, Qdoba, and Chipotle (I'm a fan of all 4). DC is a very active city so there is little demand for fast-food closer to the city. Overall what this area lacks is good sit-down restaurants when compared to ever other major city and even most smaller cities.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:38 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutter2d View Post
We need White Castles and Rallys!!!

My fast food favorites here are Moby Dick and Five Guys. I think the area has a decent collection of fast food places. We definitely got Mexican covered with Baja Fresh, Taco Bell, Qdoba, and Chipotle (I'm a fan of all 4).
What I wish we could find around here, as far as Mexican food, are those 24 hour Taco shops they have all around the San Diego area. You know, they usually have names like Albertos, Robertos, Norbertos... They usually look a bit grungy, but are huge portions for cheap prices and taste soooooo good at 1 am!

Old 04-24-2011, 05:00 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Personally I wish all fast food places would go away. I've eaten in my fair share all my life but decided a year ago to seriously curtail eating at them. I think I've eaten at 2 Burger King's since then out of necessity. Our obesity problem in this country is growing (no pun intended) and the fast food places are not helping. I don't want to dictate where people can eat but with fewer fast food places I think we'll only benefit.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:05 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times
When I was a kid Western Sizzlin and Ponderosa Steakhouses were all over the local area. Now the closest Sizzlin is in Charlottesville and the closest Ponderosa is in Chambersburg PA. What happened? I guess there's Outback but that just doesn't hit the same spot for me.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:05 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Yeah, fast food (however you may personally view it) is yet another 'cuisine' (or type of restaurant, anyway) with an inexplicable lack of presence here. Really, most large cities' suburbs just have more restaurants, period, than does NoVA.. granted, space is undoubtedly one of the area's challenges in this regard. As the OP noted, there's certainly no shortage of McDonald's or Subway locations in NoVA, but Taco Bell, other fast-food (and undoubtedly sub-mediocre, but available at 3:00 am!) Mexican chains, Arby's, Burger King, random sub sandwich concepts, etc. are relatively few and far between. Sure, individual locations of these chains *exist* in NoVA, but you just see fewer in general than you would even in the suburbs of other large cities in this same (Mid-Atlantic) region. Maybe this is a point in NoVA's favor, I dunno.. but I have certainly noticed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Personally I wish all fast food places would go away. I've eaten in my fair share all my life but decided a year ago to seriously curtail eating at them. I think I've eaten at 2 Burger King's since then out of necessity. Our obesity problem in this country is growing (no pun intended) and the fast food places are not helping. I don't want to dictate where people can eat but with fewer fast food places I think we'll only benefit.
I honestly think *most* of the eating responsible for all American obesity cases viewed as one huge (ouch.. no pun intended) data set is the bingeing that takes place in the privacy of people's own homes (or even cubes/workspaces, sometimes). Our sense of scale governing what constitutes a *normal* amount of food to be eaten for <snack1/snack2/lunch/snack3/before-bed snack/whatever> has gotten really out-of-whack. Obviously, not helping is that the number of calories in the typical McDonald's combo meal (for instance) - not to mention the typical Great American Restaurant (Coastal Flats, whatever) special - far exceeds what anyone should be consuming in one sitting. But people are WAY more likely to be irresponsible (with eating or any other behavior) to ridiculously egregious degrees in private than in public.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 04-24-2011 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-24-2011, 05:06 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Little Caesars is, to my knowledge, not in this part of the country. They closed up shop in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic many years ago.
Nope. They're still around. I got a pizza from them a few days ago.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:14 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,290 times
Last thing we need is more crap overpriced processed food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia