Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:43 PM

901 posts, read 747,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
There was this woman at my former fortune 500. She was so disorganized she could never get anything accomplished. She would work late into the night often being the only one left for the day. Management promoted her. Management felt bad for her. She was "such a hard worker". Meanwhile nothing she did was accurate. All her work was overly complicated and muddied up. She made her job so confusing no one else could do it but her, even though she made huge mistakes. She was bulletproof and is still working there. I was on a team to implement a new system and she fought it every step of the way because she did not want to learn something new. She always missed meetings, and would write long emails to her manager, a director, throwing others under the bus. Always found fault in others while her stuff was totally over done and incorrect.

The eye roll moment for me was when an executive stopped by her desk and sympathetically told her to try and leave a little early for the holiday weekend because she works way too late. Yup, has them all fooled.
That sounds like she has an undiagnosed anxiety disorder or adult ADHD.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:40 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
There's no room for so called "dead wood" in my industry. If you're not billable and/or not contributing to the best of your ability then you'll get canned.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:52 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Everyone wants to be the one in-charge, for the good of the company.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:05 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
In my previous job, one of my co-workers spent long periods looking at her phone instead of working. By the time I had left, she was lazier than ever but still didn't really have any idea what she was actually doing. Fair enough that the management was incompetent beyond belief but she was nonetheless fairly useless at her job and unable to deal with her projects effectively. So perhaps that's an example of how deadwood can be created, when both sides work together to create it.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:50 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
That sounds like she has an undiagnosed anxiety disorder or adult ADHD.
You are probably right...I reported to someone very similar who had adhd.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:30 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
I see it more at the managerial level these days . People have found in corporate america that as long as you kiss the right rear end of the right people you have job security for life regardless of how lazy/useless/dead wood you are
Its easier to kiss rear end, sabatoge others work, play politics to get ahead than it is to work hard getting there

The private sector is filled with layers and layers of useless dead wood management who put in maybe 4 hours of legitimate work hours in a week. And when they arent theyre sitting around chit chatting or implementing some stupid new process that doesnt work and turnover rates skyrocket and everything stays a mess. Yet the useless manager gets to stay on year after year

Last edited by DorianRo; 07-04-2016 at 06:38 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 06:41 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I see it more at the managerial level these days . People have found in corporate america that as long as you kiss the right rear end of the right people you have job security for life regardless of how lazy/useless/dead wood you are
Its easier to kiss rear end, sabatoge others work, play politics to get ahead than it is to work hard getting there

The private sector is filled with layers and layers of useless dead wood management who put in maybe 4 hours of legitimate work hours in a week. And when they arent theyre sitting around chit chatting or implementing some stupid new process that doesnt work and turnover rates skyrocket. Yet the useless manager gets to stay on year after year
I work for a couple of these at my present job. They literally spend at least 6 hours out of the day messing around on the Internet or chatting with their pets about the ball game last night or their vacation plans. These types of "managers" exist at large companies and not small ones, in my experience.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:17 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I work for a couple of these at my present job. They literally spend at least 6 hours out of the day messing around on the Internet or chatting with their pets about the ball game last night or their vacation plans. These types of "managers" exist at large companies and not small ones, in my experience.
Perhaps those managers who you perceive as "messing around" worked very hard for years, 14 hours a day, 6-7 days a week....even when on vacation?

I cruised the last three years in my career, but put in the hours for decades. I had very capable reports who didn't need me to manage them any longer. They knew how to do their jobs and were good at managing their people.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-04-2016 at 07:40 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 08:55 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Perhaps those managers who you perceive as "messing around" worked very hard for years, 14 hours a day, 6-7 days a week....even when on vacation?

I cruised the last three years in my career, but put in the hours for decades. I had very capable reports who didn't need me to manage them any longer. They knew how to do their jobs and were good at managing their people.
Why is anyone paid to "cruise," regardless of time spent on the job? If I were the CEO, that's fat that would need to be cut.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:11 PM

144 posts, read 115,114 times
I don't have any good stories. Everyday is another day that I work hard and everyone else does nothing. I will probably quit by not working hard here on out, putting the absolute minimum amount of work in. I am not sure what I was expecting, I am not making more than 4 figures.

It is interesting in this thread, easy to tell who the dead wood is, always having an excuse ready to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment