Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

I have a coworker who, whenever I make a point in a work-related conversation says "I was just thinking the same thing" or something similar. So if I'm making an observation related to a project or a suggestion about next steps, etc. she'll do this.

I actually caught her doing this in writing the other day - so it seems more than just a weird verbal "tic" of hers but very deliberate. I had noted a problem with a project that had recently just implemented by looking at some data we both had access to. I copied her on the email I sent to the project manager suggesting he check a certain thing out because of what I'd found. He got back to me and confirmed there was indeed a problem and figured out a fix. I email back and thank him, copying my coworker as well as a more senior person in the dept. who oversees that project. My coworker then sends an email thanking me and remarking that she'd seen that in HER data too! - copying the senior person!

OMG - that ticked me off - making her hindsight observation after the fact when she didn't even understand the significance of it, and then having the nerve to cc: the senior guy on the project. The point is that she is very passive and never says or does anything herself, instead sitting back for someone else to step up.

Anyway, I'm tired of her riding on my coattails - this is just one example on one project. What's the best way to handle this professionally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 04:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
You've observed this. It's consistent. I personally would trust that my other coworkers and superiors have also noticed this. If you (or others) are the first ones making the comments and/or writing up the observations, it will become apparent (if it's not already) that she is just following and not initiating any of this. She may really have noticed these things but lack the confidence to point them out, or she may just be trying to make it look as if she has value. Either way, it reeks of insecurity and I'm sure you're not the only one to notice it. Trying to ride coattails and actually meriting credit are not the same thing.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:50 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Ignore it.

The boss most likely knows who's just talking the talk and who's actually walking the walk.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:57 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,532 times
I personally recommend being sure to show you are the person with the smarts and initiative, just as you did in the example. Just say it once and let it go.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:32 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
who cares, it doesn't matter what people think, what matters is if they do it... if coworker thought it but did nothing, does it matter?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:10 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I have a coworker who, whenever I make a point in a work-related conversation says "I was just thinking the same thing" or something similar. So if I'm making an observation related to a project or a suggestion about next steps, etc. she'll do this.

I actually caught her doing this in writing the other day - so it seems more than just a weird verbal "tic" of hers but very deliberate. I had noted a problem with a project that had recently just implemented by looking at some data we both had access to. I copied her on the email I sent to the project manager suggesting he check a certain thing out because of what I'd found. He got back to me and confirmed there was indeed a problem and figured out a fix. I email back and thank him, copying my coworker as well as a more senior person in the dept. who oversees that project. My coworker then sends an email thanking me and remarking that she'd seen that in HER data too! - copying the senior person!

OMG - that ticked me off - making her hindsight observation after the fact when she didn't even understand the significance of it, and then having the nerve to cc: the senior guy on the project. The point is that she is very passive and never says or does anything herself, instead sitting back for someone else to step up.

Anyway, I'm tired of her riding on my coattails - this is just one example on one project. What's the best way to handle this professionally?
Like others have said "If you have noticed this, so have they" Obviously anyone could see this as "Bandwagon Jumping" and they'll ignore her comments and ignore her claim of "Accomplishments"

Stay cool and wait.....

Old 07-24-2016, 08:38 PM

888 posts, read 805,916 times
If you're not related to anyone up the ladder then you're not going to get much out of the place so best bet is to just come to this forum and complain.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:51 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times
I would confront her. Next time ask her why she always says "I was thinking that too" instead of bringing it up herself. Tell her she is full of Crap and it annoys you that she is trying to get some sort of recognition from other peoples work.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:35 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Thanks everybody...it doesn't feel like anyone actually notices this since I've heard no one else mention her behavior but it could be we're all too polite! I guess I'll just be sure to document things so it is clear who is doing what.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:36 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

I actually caught her doing this in writing the other day - so it seems more than just a weird verbal "tic" of hers but very deliberate. I had noted a problem with a project that had recently just implemented by looking at some data we both had access to. I copied her on the email I sent to the project manager suggesting he check a certain thing out because of what I'd found...Anyway, I'm tired of her riding on my coattails - this is just one example on one project. What's the best way to handle this professionally?
Just leave her out of the loop. If/when your suggestion is implemented, she'll learn about it when it comes down from the top.

I wouldn't confront her about it, that will just start a battle. You know what she does and how she does it, just short-circuit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment