Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 04:11 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,507,453 times

Advertisements

Been a self-employed software developer for the past 6 years. Make decent money, but the hours are starting to get old.

Before doing this, I worked construction, and loved it. Most of the time was spent being active, and things tended to be new at every job site.

Even though I work for myself, 10-12 hours at a desk every day is starting to feel like a prison.

Anyone made a transition like this? I'm 33, so not exactly young, but not too old for this kind of work either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 04:33 PM

363 posts, read 434,176 times
That's interesting. I've heard of many cases where people left their white collar jobs and work blue collar. It's starting to get to me too. If you're a software engineer and going to construction, I would imagine you will be taking a huge pay cut. If you're OK with that then I'd say go for it. You have a lot of programming experience, worst case scenario you can just go back to programming.

I am in IT myself, I am stuck at tech support. I am busting my butt just to get better career roles like yours or administering. The more I read how stressed out people in these roles are, the more I rethink about it. I'd welcome the position now, but I doubt I will work as hard to get it. Good luck to you, I fantasize about my old blue collar job too sometimes.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:40 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,281,189 times
I am a programmer. I work for a state entity. It doesn't pay a lot, but it is very, very stable (even the benefits), and it is 8-5 and no more. In other words, the hours are easy and never change. I sometimes do side projects to make a little cash. What I mean is that I have the time to pursue whatever I want to on my own time since I know there is very little spillover from work. A former co-worker took that as an opportunity to write and publish a book on an ORM and contribute to a ton of github repositories, but you could perform in a symphony or play rollerball if you wanted to. So I just wanted to add that maybe you would enjoy a software job where the hours are pretty much set, and then you can pursue construction on the side. They pay less, but they do exist. Heck you could even start a construction company, although I am sure once it gets really going you would have to quit your day job.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:48 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,577,329 times
Life is shorter than you think. Do what makes you happy in the long run.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:59 PM

23,600 posts, read 24,139,882 times
Can you still do construction when you reach age 52? Many people would wish they were back on a desk job at that age.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:38 PM

133 posts, read 93,099 times
Construction is fun. So is working in a warehouse. The grunt jobs are sometimes the best. No one is trying to steal your job, you don't have to fake any productivity or worth to anyone.

That's just my opinion anyways.

As you age, you can become a superintendent or a construction manager, or maybe even a consultant? I don't know.

I often looked up to a job in construction. Although if I was making good money in software, I would probably stay because I like money!

I volunteer sometimes at a construction non profit. I think there's honestly only one of those in the US anyways.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:34 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,191,281 times
My days of working in construction or any physical labor job are over. My knee and elbow can't take it and I am only 45. Lots of hard miles on this body.

I wish it wasn't true since construction was always my fall back in life. Probably the only job I can get right now, but it is impossible for me to do it.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:36 AM

6,394 posts, read 4,124,797 times
I used to be a programmer as well in my experience early 20s. Became a cop in my mid 20s. Became a construction engineer in my late 20s.

Construction pays the most out of the 3 careers I've done. I also work crazy hours during the height of construction season.

You should look into construction management. Will be worth it, I promise. You will be working alongside the construction workers minus the physical labor part.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 AM

18,511 posts, read 9,191,727 times
Peter Gibbons did it. He left Initech to work at Absolute Demolition. Probably a huge pay cut though.

You could try selling magazine subscriptions door to door.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,053,500 times
I went from truck driving to tech support then network engineer/administrator for world wide corporation and missed driving a truck so much.

After the stress of the job, dealing with corporate politics at a high level and long, long,long hours took their toll I ended up blowing out several discs in my neck and having heart issues. Did I mention all the back stabbing ladder climbers along the way? I ended up disabled/retired.

While I made pretty decent money in tech, had I stayed a hazmat driver I'd be making over $100k a year now with way less stress, no corporate game playing/back stabbing/ladder climbing and would have most likely remained way more healthy as it was NOT a desk job and pretty much self directed.
Life is too short to not do what makes you happy and pays the bills.

Hope that gives you some idea what I think of your idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment