Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:06 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,142,015 times

Advertisements

[quote=DanielWayne;44881774]I am a programmer. I work for a state entity. It doesn't pay a lot, but it is very, very stable (even the benefits), and it is 8-5 and no more. In other words, the hours are easy and never change. I sometimes do side projects to make a little cash. What I mean is that I have the time to pursue whatever I want to on my own time since I know there is very little spillover from work. A former co-worker took that as an opportunity to write and publish a book on an ORM and contribute to a ton of github repositories, but you could perform in a symphony or play rollerball if you wanted to. So I just wanted to add that maybe you would enjoy a software job where the hours are pretty much set, and then you can pursue construction on the side.......

Or ANYTHING else on the side? Time to pursue whatever you want? Stability in your job? Do you even fathom how lucky you are to be in that position? Benefits?
Stay with those little "side projects" you have and count your blessings. Many many out there would kill for that opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:00 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,278,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Been a self-employed software developer for the past 6 years. Make decent money, but the hours are starting to get old.

Before doing this, I worked construction, and loved it. Most of the time was spent being active, and things tended to be new at every job site.

Even though I work for myself, 10-12 hours at a desk every day is starting to feel like a prison.

Anyone made a transition like this? I'm 33, so not exactly young, but not too old for this kind of work either.
Think of it like this. I know many a software developer who would do something else if they could like construction. I know of few construction workers who want to give up everything to become a software developer.

You are only 33. Not old ok . Construction work, if you are decent at it, will bring in the same type of salary as an average software developer. More exercise and maybe even less stress. I have done the 2am testing of custom variables working with software and it is no fun as you can well imagine.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 PM

537 posts, read 599,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
That sounds like poor executive strategy on the part of the self-employed.
It can be, just depends. The goal of anyone who is self employed should be to build up the business to a point that it essentially runs itself - the 5 hour work week, so to speak. Few people make it to that point, but many do. I know quite a few people who are self employed who really only NEED to work 5-10 hours a week but most choose to do extra work because they love it and they've reached a point where each hour they spend working can result in hundreds of dollars in extra income.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:45 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,840,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Been a self-employed software developer for the past 6 years. Make decent money, but the hours are starting to get old.

Before doing this, I worked construction, and loved it. Most of the time was spent being active, and things tended to be new at every job site.

Even though I work for myself, 10-12 hours at a desk every day is starting to feel like a prison.

Anyone made a transition like this? I'm 33, so not exactly young, but not too old for this kind of work either.
I did construction work in HS during the summers and weekends, etc. I loved it. I was pulling down 4-5K a month as a kid during the summers, decades ago...

I really loved it. It was long hours and hard, dirty work, but you felt good. You had great views and enjoyed the sunshine. In the winters it was not so nice due to the rain and cold but still...

I too am an IT slave, and I just don't care for it too much. I make a ton of money but that and the flexibility is all I like. Many of my colleagues have mentioned that they would take a pay cut to do blue collar construction work. I've considered it myself...Seems like it would be fun to get back into and something different. Best part was me and the crew would usually all eat lunch together and relax at the job site, and the guys I worked with were mostly ex-convicts but amazingly fun to work with and overall good guys...

Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
True, but try getting disability for mental health issues aquired by working a software engineering job. Ain't gonna happen. At least if you get hurt physically, there are programs to help you survive.
This.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:59 AM

Another thought. If you have the capital, why not become a real estate investor? You can flip, or rent them out. I do the landlord thing but as I've gained experience with costs and how to work with contractors, I've considered getting into flipping. I could likely make six figures in a year just by managing the deals and the work, rather than actually doing the work. If you are so inclined, you can do the work.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:18 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,757,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Another thought. If you have the capital, why not become a real estate investor? You can flip, or rent them out. I do the landlord thing but as I've gained experience with costs and how to work with contractors, I've considered getting into flipping. I could likely make six figures in a year just by managing the deals and the work, rather than actually doing the work. If you are so inclined, you can do the work.
It's great money but you need cash on hand before purchasing a house. It's not worth the risk if your area is a lousy market.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
It's great money but you need cash on hand before purchasing a house. It's not worth the risk if your area is a lousy market.
Right, that's why I said if you have the capital....OP is not exactly working at Jiffy Lube...

As a fellow programmer/IT professional, I paid cash for my first house in my mid twenties...And I own a few now and have cash to do flips...This is not something unattainable for a high earning profession like IT...

Old 08-09-2016, 01:04 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,118,635 times
Really, if you call yourself software developer, - then you can self-employ yourself making software and then selling that software.

I wanted to develop my own software back in 2000, but Windows programming wasn't well documented enough for me to know [vs figure out] how to develop software.

Now, something I may be capable of doing is making video games, money making websites, and writing books. If that fails then maybe I'd give OTR Truck driving a chance so I can see America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment