Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 12:41 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,952 times

Advertisements

So I was recently passed up for an "official" promotion to management even though I have been acting as manager for the past 6 months. The owner said he liked me better doing our departments task oriented work and couldn't afford to lose me there. On one hand I can't blame him since I'm doing 75% more work than the three other employees that report to me, on top of facilitating their work and making their lives as easy as possible. (Even though the four of us are all at the same level and pay grade!) I guess the extra effort didn't matter this time!

Long story short, the owner decided to hire someone else for the official manager position who would ultimately be my new boss. I was frustrated at the entire outcome of this, especially since I've been killing myself the last 6 months managing the department while also performing my own assigned work, but the real kicker came when the owner told me he wants me to train the new manager who will be starting in two weeks.

What...

I've trained people on my level, I've trained people below me, I've trained people in other departments, but never have I been asked to train a manager, director, or basically anyone above me in the hierarchy. The owner wants me to train him on how we use all our software, show him how to use various spreadsheets, and basically walk him through the process for how we book and onboard new clients, handle certain tasks, track work, etc.

I am completely appalled by this request. I haven't met the new manager yet so I have nothing again him, but my pride is too strong to have to stand there and train someone who was supposedly hired for his expertise in management and "multiple years of experience" in the field. You got so much experience? Figure it out on your own like I had to do when I started! Think critically, research relevant and valid info, analyze your options and make the best informed decision. To think I'm somehow OK with training a person making 60% more than me is just unbelievable, especially since I've been performing this role and was passed for the promotion.

I got to ask... Is this completely ridiculous or is it just me. I've never heard of something like this in my life. I don't want to be the bad guy that refuses to show my new boss how to do his job, (Which will make him look good while I sit in the shadows) but COME ON! If he's the new boss, he's gotta make the effort to figure it out on his own and make due!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
The owner said he liked me better doing our departments task oriented work and couldn't afford to lose me there.
so he loses you to another company?

Old 07-29-2016, 01:15 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
New people have things to learn no matter what they were hired for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
so he loses you to another company?
And the part you quoted is code for "we don't want to select you for this promotion but we like the work you do".

Old 07-29-2016, 01:44 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
yes, and I meant if they "code" it like that, then people have no problems taking their skill elsewhere
jobs are easy to get these days, if someone isn't happy with their job, they can find another one quicker than a company can train a new person. It takes months to hire/train someone, it takes weeks to get hired. Anyone can switch jobs and not see a large disruption to their income

Old 07-29-2016, 02:01 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,119 times
Look for another job..

Old 07-29-2016, 02:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Time to go. Plain and simple. The job no longer works for you.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:54 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
So I was recently passed up for an "official" promotion to management even though I have been acting as manager for the past 6 months. The owner said he liked me better doing our departments task oriented work and couldn't afford to lose me there. On one hand I can't blame him since I'm doing 75% more work than the three other employees that report to me, on top of facilitating their work and making their lives as easy as possible. (Even though the four of us are all at the same level and pay grade!) I guess the extra effort didn't matter this time!

Long story short, the owner decided to hire someone else for the official manager position who would ultimately be my new boss. I was frustrated at the entire outcome of this, especially since I've been killing myself the last 6 months managing the department while also performing my own assigned work, but the real kicker came when the owner told me he wants me to train the new manager who will be starting in two weeks.

What...

I've trained people on my level, I've trained people below me, I've trained people in other departments, but never have I been asked to train a manager, director, or basically anyone above me in the hierarchy. The owner wants me to train him on how we use all our software, show him how to use various spreadsheets, and basically walk him through the process for how we book and onboard new clients, handle certain tasks, track work, etc.

I am completely appalled by this request. I haven't met the new manager yet so I have nothing again him, but my pride is too strong to have to stand there and train someone who was supposedly hired for his expertise in management and "multiple years of experience" in the field. You got so much experience? Figure it out on your own like I had to do when I started! Think critically, research relevant and valid info, analyze your options and make the best informed decision. To think I'm somehow OK with training a person making 60% more than me is just unbelievable, especially since I've been performing this role and was passed for the promotion.

I got to ask... Is this completely ridiculous or is it just me. I've never heard of something like this in my life. I don't want to be the bad guy that refuses to show my new boss how to do his job, (Which will make him look good while I sit in the shadows) but COME ON! If he's the new boss, he's gotta make the effort to figure it out on his own and make due!
You might as well just bend over whenever your boss shows up............

If he does not at least give you a huge pay raise.. I would walk......

Old 07-29-2016, 08:12 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
To an extent, yes, but we were both newbies at the time.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:24 PM

18 posts, read 38,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
So I was recently passed up for an "official" promotion to management even though I have been acting as manager for the past 6 months. The owner said he liked me better doing our departments task oriented work and couldn't afford to lose me there.
This is actually not that unusual. If an employee is doing an exceptional job at their current position and the employer cannot easily replace from internal and/or external candidates, then some employers will just not promote this employee.

As you found out, you're this special employee. Start interviewing at other companies and find an employer that values you more. Then give your notice and leave and in your situation I would not accept a counter offer because you'll easily find yourself in the same situation again.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:25 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,006,984 times
It is normal everyday business for subordinate to have to train new managers on how things go, especially when the company's management structure is lean and thin. Add to this what may be a specific company process or procedures and it will happen. Most often we call it getting the manager up to speed on how the employees do things around here. So is this really about training or are you just mad because they passed on you for someone else? I mean, would you still be stomping your feet if they didn't ask you to train the person (be honest)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment