Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 07:27 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times

Advertisements

Doesn't it also depend on area?

I know health care especially nursing seems to have this 'image' of being a profession that will always be in demand with high paying jobs, but I'm sure I've read some stories of nurses who couldn't find a job in certain areas due to oversupply of nurses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 07:39 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Maybe all the surplus engineers ought to go there.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
Good nurses have a lot of choices. Its been this way since my wife started nursing over 40 years ago, the hours, weekends, and the stress. (I'm actually surprised more men aren't getting into it, as many of their traditional jobs get harder to find every year.) Add to that certain dangers. Good nurses are going to avoid hospitals in locations where just walking into the hospital or driving there has a degree of danger.

The nursing situation is not unique. Many jobs that men typically do also have many openings. Truck drivers are still in demand in much of the country. It pays well, but again, the hours and time away from home are hard.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Good nurses have a lot of choices. Its been this way since my wife started nursing over 40 years ago, the hours, weekends, and the stress. (I'm actually surprised more men aren't getting into it, as many of their traditional jobs get harder to find every year.) Add to that certain dangers. Good nurses are going to avoid hospitals in locations where just walking into the hospital or driving there has a degree of danger.

The nursing situation is not unique. Many jobs that men typically do also have many openings. Truck drivers are still in demand in much of the country. It pays well, but again, the hours and time away from home are hard.
Truck driving does not pay well for the most part and there isn't a shortage. There is only a shortage of NEW drivers that get paid slave wages. Truck driving is a churn and burn system where they promise you the world, get you driving for cheap, then they throw you out and find the next sucker. This is how the carriers keep their costs low.

There are good paying jobs in trucking, but they are few and far between and every trucker wants them.

I suggest to anyone interested in trucking to visit the various trucker forums and really learn about the industry.

If you still want to get into the industry, there are some things you can do to better your experience and try to increase your chances to work the better jobs, but it is not common, people in those better positions are the exception.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:33 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,246 times
There is NO nursing shortage, more like a shortage of doctors.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:09 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,115 times
There is going to be an absolute glut of nurses.

I think 7 out of 10 high school females that are graduating that I have met in the last two years all say they are going into nursing. Every high school function I have been to in the last two years has been like this. It is absolutely crazy.

All these parents are pushing their kids into nursing thinking they will have a secure job.

There is going to be a ton of unemployed nurses in about 3-5 years.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:38 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,738 times
My question is does the shortage apply only to nurses or other aspects of healthcare as well (office staff, admin.staff, allied health)?

And yes piggybacking on what High Altitude said, Nursing is very popular at the college level. Now is it because this generation wants to be nurses more than the generation before? Probably not, more likely they know that if they graduate with the nursing degree, they have a good shot at a secure job, middle class life style etc...than graduating with the pysch degree, economics degree etc...

Granted people wanting to major in nursing might be like all the pre-med majors you meet in bio 101 who are determined to be doctors then drop out at the first organic chem class, but yes nursing is definitely hot right now. With the way the economy is, the horror stories of people finding work, nursing is seen as: graduate in nursing=automatic job, so I don't see the popularity of nursing shrinking anytime soon.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:12 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
There is no shortage of nurses. Total myth. The reality is there is a glut of nurses. Many nurses can't find jobs or have to settle on undesirable ones if they want one. It depends on where you live though. If you live in a place where everyone is moving into, it's harder to find work. If you live in areas where people are fleeing from, it will be easier.
I work at a nursing home in the dietary department. There are nursing jobs posted and it seems they are always posted.

The community is rural, but not a far drive away from something to do. The area is certainly not 'undesirable'. Good school, low crime rate, etc.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:22 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post

I've actually taken the pre-nursing admission exam for the local nursing college program. I found the test very easy actually. My score ended up matching the highest they've ever received at the campus.

I've decided to focus on the MCAT and apply to Medical School. The two big reasons are 1) The culture of nursing (work around it long enough and you'll see what I'm talking about and 2) the knowledge and scope of practice. Notice I didn't put MONEY because I think all that has to change due to the costs, demographics of the baby boom generation, etc...

I'm not one that advocates nurses taking over primary care roles traditionally held by physicians. The training is like night and day.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:56 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Maybe all the surplus engineers ought to go there.
Even with a chemical engineering degree which is the best pre-med it still takes about 5-6 years to come out with an MD/residency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment