Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 PM

336 posts, read 716,462 times

Advertisements

You might want to narrow your search down a LITTLE more because as you can see, there are endless options if you leave it wide open. Do you prefer a certain type of weather? Seasons? Have family you'd prefer to be only a certain distance from?

We have friends here in the Capital District of NY that are from Denver. They said they'd never move back. They prefer it out here. It depends on your wife and you though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 04:20 AM

158 posts, read 98,940 times
Good suggestions.

Weather is kind of a back seat to more of just a fast growing area. Maybe 100k or less small size where things are being built and the town physically expanding and local businesses growing to support and help wanted signs posted. Not a run down old area where a cook position at dennys requires 3-5 years experience and only grown people are working fast food jobs. Man did things change in the past 10 years. A guy used to be able to walk into a business and ask to speak to manager and maybe hand a resume and get an on the spot interview. Now these places all only take online applications where you never hear anything back. Lol when academy sports department store opened up a few years back they recieved over 12,000 applications.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That's likely hurting employers. I have only been to Seattle once but I did not see any camp sites close to anything.
Must have been a while ago. Now you see homeless people sleeping all over, and the police do not bother them at all. Recently the city and state tried to move some camps out from under the freeway, after a murder, fires, and many health hazards were found. They eventually gave up. There are residential areas where people live in their cars, vans and campers along the sides of the streets. People do make a living at $20/hour but by sharing an apartment with roommates, living with their parents, or taking a bus ride of over an hour from a more affordable area.

Inside the grim world of The Jungle: The Caves, sleeping in shifts and eyeball-eating rats | The Seattle Times

Homeless RV camps in Ballard

Old 08-12-2016, 01:30 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Must have been a while ago. Now you see homeless people sleeping all over, and the police do not bother them at all. Recently the city and state tried to move some camps out from under the freeway, after a murder, fires, and many health hazards were found. They eventually gave up. There are residential areas where people live in their cars, vans and campers along the sides of the streets. People do make a living at $20/hour but by sharing an apartment with roommates, living with their parents, or taking a bus ride of over an hour from a more affordable area.

Inside the grim world of The Jungle: The Caves, sleeping in shifts and eyeball-eating rats | The Seattle Times

Homeless RV camps in Ballard
You make a living but you don't actually get ahead, the only way to get ahead in those situations (if you don't have family in the area or some other favorable situation) is to live a homeless or pseudo homeless life style, just keep saving until you can start a business, get much more marketable education, etc.

But if all your savings is chewed up in rent (roomates or not) then you are just going to stay 20/hr.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:27 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,614 times
Yeah, I've seen a small homeless camp under the Wilson Ave bridge in Chicago. Also, I noticed homeless people sleeping in vehicles around Chicago too.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:04 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post
Maybe 100k or less small size where things are being built and the town physically expanding and local businesses growing to support and help wanted signs posted. Not a run down old area where a cook position at dennys requires 3-5 years experience and only grown people are working fast food jobs. Lol when academy sports department store opened up a few years back they recieved over 12,000 applications.
I live in a state that used to have an unemployment rate which was in the top 5 states. Now my local area has been booming since 2014 due to the companies building sites and tech startups springing up (which skyrockets cost of living but wages remain stagnant). But still, it's difficult to get even a low level dead end job because they're requiring 3-5 years of experience.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:44 PM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You make a living but you don't actually get ahead, the only way to get ahead in those situations (if you don't have family in the area or some other favorable situation) is to live a homeless or pseudo homeless life style, just keep saving until you can start a business, get much more marketable education, etc.

But if all your savings is chewed up in rent (roomates or not) then you are just going to stay 20/hr.
Yeah. You are going to have to live like a pauper to save anything in the Seattle area on that pay. Rent in that area is $1200 a month for a studio at a minimum and it's probably in a sketchy area. It doesn't matter how frugal you are, if 50% of your take home pay is getting chewed up in rent costs excluding utilities. You are going to be living paycheck to paycheck.

You can be the type of person that never eats out or step foot in a restaurant (unless you work in one), eat rice and beans, live without cable, live without smartphone, don't drink alcohol, don't go out on the weekends, don't own a car and still struggle to save money in a high cost of living area.

I live in a low cost of living area and my rent is $620 a month about 15% of my gross and a little over 22% of my take home pay. I can save a significant amount of money after all the bills are paid instead of sending all my money to make a landlord rich.

The OP needs to move to a city that is camper/RV friendly, has a strong economy, and a low cost of living. As many have said Texas is a great state for them to move to because of the solid economy and jobs pay pretty well considering the cost of living as long as you avoid the exspensive suburbs of the major cities.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:16 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
lol colorado? last place you want to find a job. i am in colorado and there are no corporate jobs and no well paying jobs here. Only reason I have a good paying job is because I was recruited from college; but my wife, she cant find anything higher than 12 dollars an hour, and she has a degree. Dont get me wrong, great retirement place if you have average retirement

The competition is fierce here and colorado is starting to have a huge homeless problem because there are no good paying jobs here. And construction jobs, mexicans are taking them ( i have nothing against them) but I have 2 friends who are in construction and working under the table for 13 an hour

Agreed! I'm in accounting and I make...well let's say that I live check to check. For every job being created in Colorado there are 80 people moving here..

Once I pass the CPA I will probably move back to Florida. Even though I hated it...I made more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment