Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:15 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
By the end of high school I was the strongest girl and could squat 350lbs.
Depending on your size that could be close to a record. Pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 02:29 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
I do Lawncare in south Florida, very hot and even a job that wouldn't be to demanding physically is with the heat conditions. I actually enjoy it though and I think I'm rather tolerant of the heat! I have worked at a grocery where it was pretty physical labor with lifting and stocking shelves. An 8 hour shift definitely gave you a days worth of exercise.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I was a cocktail waitress at the Kingston Plantation pool deck in Myrtle Beach (it was the Radisson) back in the late 1980s in the summer! Talk about hot! We worked 11am to 6pm seven days a week.

I remember when the temps would hit 100 (we only worked Memorial Day through Labor Day), we would have to constantly jump in the pool. Good thing our uniforms were one piece fuschia bathing suits with these hideous teal green sashes.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:59 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,522,770 times
one job i had in college was unloading ups trucks

my female cousin started as an otr truck driver, now has a "local" route with fedex

Old 08-14-2016, 06:52 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanastra View Post
Seems as if for the vast majority of women they never have had to work any physically demanding jobs. But are there any women here that have? I am talking working 90+ degree heat while also having to do something physically demanding?
I am an oceanographer and I go to sea on a research vessel a few times a year for a couple of weeks at a time (usually during the summer). I had the opportunity to work at the deep water horizon oil spill site on one of the research vessels during the summer of 2010. That was the longest (8 weeks) and most physically demanding stint I have done. We work every day, no days off, for 12 hr shifts. Temperatures on deck were upper 90s during the day, and the first 4 weeks we had to wear tyvek suits while on deck. The work itself involved taking water samples, chemically analyzing them, packing and moving them according to DOJ chain of command rules. These were large samples, almost a gallon at a time, and we would put them in boxes of 6-8 samples in a cooler, so it weighed 35-60lbs in a cooler. Which I also had to move across the deck to the refrigerator. To say we were drenched in sweat is an understatement. But it was the coolest thing I have ever done. Oh, and of our 24 scientist crew, 9 of us were women as was the commander of the ship

One of the requirements to be cleared for these jobs is to be able to lift 80lbs. It wasn't one of those doctors sign off that you can, when I had my security clearance they tested if we could run through doorways with 18in sills, lift the 80 lbs and get in a survival suit in less than 2 minutes. Then they tested the survival suit thing on deck (in the 100 ° heat) twice a week at least.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:33 PM

417 posts, read 345,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I hate to correct any posters misuse of a word, but this retired farmer notices when someone wrongly uses "bails" instead of "bales"
Or, when they say hay but mean straw. I think most people mean straw. Whatever

Last edited by ffaemily; 08-14-2016 at 08:43 PM..

Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Depending on your size that could be close to a record. Pics?
Thank you very much. I was bigger so it was not a record. I looked it up there is a girl in 2014 in the teen catagory who squated 391.25. In 2008 a girl squated 402.25. That is crazy. Those girls can do some real manual labor I'm sure.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:51 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
Those girls can do some real manual labor I'm sure.
Maybe. Maybe not. I've noticed that bulked up people sometimes can't go/work for long periods of time. Some can, but many cannot.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Maybe. Maybe not. I've noticed that bulked up people sometimes can't go/work for long periods of time. Some can, but many cannot.
I've noticed that with boys in my high school years they only do weight lifting and not cardio so they have a really big torso and really skinny legs and they can't actually lift things and carry them around they can only lift them up. This made me think of another thing. If you are lifting really heavy things at work and aren't used to doing it, please lift safely. I have seen a lot of people get hurt lifting things way too heavy and getting really really hurt. If you don't think you can lift it, don't lift it :

Old 08-14-2016, 09:46 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
I've read that nursing has a very high rate of back and other muscle injuries among all occupations. Orderlies have the worst of any occupation - almost three times the injury rate than that of construction workers. The problem is, a nurse can't expect to be able to call for a male every time she needs to work on a patient.

It's gotten worse due to the fact that people are getting much heavier in recent years.
Have you ever tried to pick up a child (or dog) that goes completely limp? Imagine having to lift or roll over a 350 pound unconscious person while bending over a bed. Now imagine they fell on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment