Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times

Advertisements

I started my current job two years ago. For almost as long, we've had an open plan office with absurdly small "cubicles" and no privacy.

This month, the company moved to a new building. They didn't get new furniture, opting to bring over the small "cubicles" from the old building.

The new building is massive and it is open almost from end to end; the only walls there are those that are necessary to keep the building from collapsing. There are some non-load bearing walls that enclose offices for very high-up people. There's also an open atrium that goes from the first floor all the way to a domed roof above the third floor. It's an acoustical nightmare.

The company also got rid of most of its microwaves and refridgerators from the old building so there are now about 150 people per single fridge or microwave. This means that you have to get in early to stash your lunch (and it doesn't stay cold because the fridge is packed) and you wait for half an hour or more to use a microwave to heat your breakfast or lunch. They also have tiny little rectangular sinks where you are expected to wash your own coffee cups, bowls, etc. I'm fine with this, but there is no way to wash anything in those sinks without making a mess.

They also took away bottled water, paper plates, plastic cutlery, etc. There are only eight toilets per gender per floor per wing, which means hundreds of people have to use those eight toilets. There's always a line and there's always at least two toilets clogged and unavailable.

There are meeting rooms with glass walls so you can see exactly who's in there and what's being discussed if they're using the screen or white board. There are tiny "focus rooms" where you can go to get "quiet" or "privacy" but the tables in them are too small for our laptops and the chairs are like living room armchairs...totally unsuitable for working. You also can't reserve them and can't toss someone out if they're in there eating lunch (which someone usually is), so if you need to "focus" and there are no "focus rooms," you're basically screwed.

All these little changes feel like screws being tightened on us, the employees. Every change in the new building is a big middle finger in our faces....the company saying "Tough. We don't care. Deal with it."

Did I mention there's also construction still going on? They're still building in the middle of the building so you can't get from one end to the other without going through the parking garage or walking around outside or going through the construction zone itself. It's very noisy, very dusty, and the construction workers themselves have free reign over the entire building; no badges are required so you can't leave anything at your desk unless you're OK with it being stolen.

The first week employees were in the new building, they sent out an e-mail to all staff telling us that we could not use rolling whiteboards to build walls around our desks because it's "counter to the open and collaborative environment we are creating." Seriously? You'd think they would've maybe taken the hint: everybody HATES the open office.

The company has been sending e-mails every week for about a year about the "new way of working" and how our new "home" would "promote collaboration." My point is that you can't change a company's culture by changing the furniture. They are balls deep on this one and they're not going to change anything, even though they're well aware that they're about to lose 20% of their staff in the next 6 months. Everyone on my team is looking for a new job. Every last person. Every one of my US-based team members has asked me if I would be a reference for them. That's a pretty strong indicator that they're out there looking.

I stayed with this company because this office move cut my commute in half, and I really hate Dallas traffic. However, after a couple of weeks in this new building, I've decided I simply cannot tolerate this environment. At least in the old building we had a lot more walls and the floors didn't shake and sway when people walked around. We had adequate fridge space and didn't have to wait for toilets and microwaves.

I know a lot of this seems petty but when you're on the bubble about a company in the first place and you get moved to a place like this, it seems like a big slap in the face.

I'd ask to work from home full-time but I know what the answer would be: No.

I'm not looking for advice or suggestions here. I'm just ranting about open plan offices and how crappy some companies are to their employees. If I'd come to this company for an interview in its current environment, I'd have excused myself and apologized for wasting their time because I know I simply cannot work in such a noisy environment with so many visual distractions. I'm a PROGRAMMER. I need peace and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 08:26 AM

299 posts, read 350,402 times
The office culture cannot be jammed unwillingly down peoples' throats. Open concept doesn't fit every business, or even every function within a business. "Open plan" is a euphemism for cost cutting and keeping overt tabs on workers' performance. Like you, if this were something a company for which I was working insisted, I'd be looking elsewhere as well.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:34 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
You were nuts beforehand this is just a complaint since you don't like the change

Company will change culture based on the type of employee they hire and retain. Not by what the office space looks like.

Bet if you gave it a year, you won't even notice the small stuff

Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I'm not looking for advice or suggestions here. .
Probably because it's not one damn bit like you say it is.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:32 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newJerseyPinky View Post
The office culture cannot be jammed unwillingly down peoples' throats. Open concept doesn't fit every business, or even every function within a business. "Open plan" is a euphemism for cost cutting and keeping overt tabs on workers' performance. Like you, if this were something a company for which I was working insisted, I'd be looking elsewhere as well.
I agree. Its like a kids classroom and many do not like it. I agree with BigDGeek. OP it sounds like working at a desk in the middle of a shopping mall!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:51 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,799 times
OMG. Sounds like a Simpsons Cartoon! Really stupid management you got there at your company! I tell you, the higher-ups in America are all messed up in the BRAIN!

Old 08-14-2016, 11:07 AM

828 posts, read 772,619 times
Me thinks the OP is really doing 5 to 10 in the big house because no one with half a brain or a shred of dignity would stay in that situation.

The taking away of the sharp instruments (plastic cutlery) was my big clue.....too much trouble with those in the yard at recreation time.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:13 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
How are the books in the company? Will it be in business in a year? Everything you've mentioned is a cost cutting move. Lower rent building. Keeping the same furniture. Getting rid of fridges and microwaves. Getting rid of bottled water and utensils. (not saying whether a company should provide them, but when one changes that quickly, there's money involved).

Old 08-14-2016, 01:52 PM

105 posts, read 105,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
How are the books in the company? Will it be in business in a year? Everything you've mentioned is a cost cutting move. Lower rent building. Keeping the same furniture. Getting rid of fridges and microwaves. Getting rid of bottled water and utensils. (not saying whether a company should provide them, but when one changes that quickly, there's money involved).
Yep, it has the all the signs. When companies are making money, they either remodel or move to a better office space.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
You've been there two years already. Plan your next move. Internally or externally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment