Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,532,376 times

Advertisements

This is an employment question. This is not about politics.

For the record, I believe that anyone coming to this country should do so legally. With that said, I have a simple question.

What specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?

While I don’t take my career for granted, I have no fear of illegal immigrants unless they start crossing the border with MBAs, PMPs, ITILs, and over 5 years of industry specific technology knowledge.

The employment world has changed and it’s no secret that people need to acquire more skills in growth areas like technology and anything related to the digital world (app creation, online communications, intellectual property, privacy rights, big data, etc.)

Being low skilled doesn’t work in the contemporary world for most people. However, that’s a personal choice.

Contrast that with threads where people talk about high turnover in decent factory jobs that start at $10 : Turnover rate is insane at my job

It’s like the twilight zone where people simultaneously complain about losing jobs to illegal immigrants and then in the same breath, complain about open available jobs that would at least provide a start to a long term career.

Why the fear of illegal immigrants? Again, what specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 10:20 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,561,198 times
None if it is illegal :S I don't mind legal immigrants. Though I feel like immigration rules aren't up to date in making it easier to immigrate, but that's a political view

Most of the jobs they take anyways will be automated away or if not, the people here consider the jobs below them so they wouldn't do it even if there were 100 jobs per applicant. They would just keep ignoring it and hoping for better. Yeah, they somehow learned how to feed themselves on hope.

It wont' matter though, digital world means physical location is unimportant, why would a foreigner risk being "illegal" when they can stay in home country and just do a digital job?

Old 08-21-2016, 12:38 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,729,268 times
None really.

Seems like most illegals 'gravitate' towards certain types of jobs, and those are jobs in the service industry, or low wage jobs that do not require any technical skills, STEM degree, or such training.

Not interested in those types of jobs at all.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:02 PM

22,634 posts, read 47,774,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
what specific job that YOU want is being taken over by illegal immigrants?
None.
Illegals should be sent back, not employed.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:12 PM

455 posts, read 284,169 times
when illegals were here during the boom in the 90's nobody cared.

people only started trying to find a scapegoat when the economy went bad.

the economy went bad mainly due to the white people in charge, not a hispanic pounding nails on the roof.

i still point to this example here in mn.

on my way to work there is a big field with a giant billboard right outside of it saying will hire no experience 12 hr.
this is a town that is 96 percent white with an above average unemployment rate.

who do you see in the fields when you drive by? all hispanics.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:27 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,008,280 times
Meat packing industry.............I worked 19 years in a Beef Packing Plant from 1963-1982.

Union job, great, wages, great benefits

All legals working there !

However, around the late 70's new packing plants started up in more sparsely populated areas of the US paying much lower wages. After they had gone thru the local labor force they started hiring illegals. No way our packing plants could compete with a packing plant paying lower wages to illegals.

Supply and demand should determine wage scale but when you enter illegals into the equation you have created an unfair situation where wages are low due to the supply of illegal labor.

Old 08-21-2016, 01:52 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,008,157 times
I know a lot of illegal immigrants. None of them have jobs that I would want. The jobs they have are pretty awful.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
when illegals were here during the boom in the 90's nobody cared.

people only started trying to find a scapegoat when the economy went bad.

the economy went bad mainly due to the white people in charge, not a hispanic pounding nails on the roof.

i still point to this example here in mn.

on my way to work there is a big field with a giant billboard right outside of it saying will hire no experience 12 hr.
this is a town that is 96 percent white with an above average unemployment rate.

who do you see in the fields when you drive by? all hispanics.
This was the case several times over regardless of nationality. In the 1900's of New York City, you'd have the Irish immigrants be the scapegoats of low wages or taking jobs from Americans. In the 1890's California, it was the Chinese.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:14 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,260,811 times
Immigrants who sneak across the border aren't the real problem. Immigrant workers, such as H1B workers, taking jobs from Americans, which is illegal, are the real problem. The immigration laws are complicated. There is a lot of money in finding ways to subvert those laws. Pretending there isn't an American available for a particular high tech job is not very hard. One way is to write the qualifications such that nobody can qualify. Then make an exception for a particular immigrant, or pretend that immigrant qualifies.

One thing that happens a lot is that an immigrant from a particular country, working in the USA for an American company, will get promoted into management, and then proceed to hire a lot of other people from that country. Then some of those will get promoted into management, and hire even more from the same country. And when there are periodic layoffs, the people who aren't from that country will be the first to go.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:52 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,718,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Meat packing industry.............

Supply and demand should determine wage scale but when you enter illegals into the equation you have created an unfair situation where wages are low due to the supply of illegal labor.

I think you are contradicting yourself here by saying "supply and demand should determine wage scale" and then saying the situation of supply and demand is really not fair (because the supply side has too much demand). I guess?? BTW the years of your employment in the industry as a baseline for your example is hard to relate to with the span of time that has passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment