Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:47 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times

Advertisements

I cant find a job thatll pay me anywhere even half respectable because those companies laugh when I want $15/hour and say why should we hire you? We got many people willing to work for $8/hour! Even professional jobs are seeing lower and lower salaries. My moms a teacher and gets only $32k a year. I am seeing doctorates getting only $50k a year and one doctor told me he got $10/hour the first 4 years because no one wanted to hire a "new" trainee doctor for anything but peanuts.

I am sure some of you have the same stories. Any of you get a cut in your wage or "laid off" as the company replaces its workers with those willing to work for less? Its time we stand up and demand fair wages! Most of us are underpaid and im sure you agree!

Thursday I go to that service thats supposed to find me a job as they still cant find me one and I refuse to work for less than $15/hour. I am currently self employed and will be making that much or more anyway. If they find me a fair paying job, good ill work and combined with self employed will have saved enough for my own house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 09:03 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
It really depends on what job you're applying for; if it's a retail store or resturant, then I can see why they won't pay you $15/ hour. What did you apply for?

Heck when I bartend, I make $7/ hour and I'm happy with it! If I told them I wouldn't work for less than $15/ hour they'd say "Next".

Old 02-10-2007, 11:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
If you have little work experience and/or no degree from an accredited four-year university, trade school or community college, you can expect an entry level position to pay way under $15/hour in most industries. Even those with degrees oftentimes must start out in entry level positions in their field of interest that pay as low as $10/hour just to get their foot in the door and usually opportunities for raises and advancements come fairly quickly.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:41 AM

669 posts, read 3,193,804 times
NAH, with a 2 year degree, you cannot demand a $15 an hour salary unless you just graduated as a nurse or something. You definetly should aim lower. Nobody will hire you if you demand that salary.

Also, you keep referring to what you "will" make on your home business. Isn't it generating income already? How do you KNOW you'll make more? Aren't you just assuming? Assumptions are very very bad with being self-employed. You could very well make $10k one year and $50k the next. That's why a real job is advisable on the side, even if you're waiting tables for peanuts, it will support you somewhat.

I doubt you know much about the current market, or are in denial. $15 an hour is not even that good, but most people work way below that for years. You have to work your way up. Nobody starts at $15 an hour. Normally you graduate college and get something like 10-12 an hour, and move up. Depending on the field of course, but that's a general thing. Without any experience, you're not gonna get $15 an hour. Quit dreaming.

If you expect a $15/hour salary with a 2 year degree and apparently not much experience, you're dreaming. Ask for $10. Seriously. A lot of people stay with their parents while they "move up" from entry-level incomes to more stable ones. Unfortunately, it seems like you're just wasting time, sitting there doing nothing, making no steady income and obsessing over moving. My advice? Get a real job, and when you've moved up (which really only takes a few years if you're good) enough to make a liveable salary, move.

If you want my opinion, I think to truly live, the minimum wage should be $9 an hour in all states. However, that will not happen until probably like 2030 and by then $9 will be like $7.50 now anyway. I think the minimum wages are a joke and it's very very tough to live on them.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:52 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
You have a luxury that many people do not. You live at home with your parents. For most adults if given a choice between a low paying job or no job at all, the low paying jobs wins. People have to eat, but they don't have to eat steak.

Without experience or a degree you will not find many jobs that start at $15/hr in FL. It took me 7 years in the position that I used to have to get to where I was making that much, and it was a high stress, high output position.

While your point about wages may be valid, you are not being realistic.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
You have a luxury that many people do not. You live at home with your parents. For most adults if given a choice between a low paying job or no job at all, the low paying jobs wins. People have to eat, but they don't have to eat steak.

Without experience or a degree you will not find many jobs that start at $15/hr in FL. It took me 7 years in the position that I used to have to get to where I was making that much, and it was a high stress, high output position.

While your point about wages may be valid, you are not being realistic.
AGREED!

You definetly cannot turn down every job because it doesn't make $15 an hour. Sorry. Not realistic. You will never have a job w/ that attitude. And trust me - you'll need one sooner or later. Almost nobody is self employed without a real job first. And I don't want to be a downer -- but very few self employed people have business that skyrocket. There are exceptions but graphics is probably competitive. You need either a REALLY good amount of creativity, a good amount of business ideas, or better yet, both.

I'm telling you. It's not as simple as just posting your graphics for sale and expecting a $30k salary just because people who are SALARIED make $30k. Self employed people can make more then the salaried people in their field but actually, you will probably make much less. I would be shocked to see you make more then $10k in the first year. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm bringing you to earth. You need experience and a real job to back you up.

People will probably be wary of buying graphics from someone who hasn't (from what I've heard of you) had a real job for a long time, and simply sat through 2 years of college. I realize college is hard work, but really, if you do the work, you can pass. that's why degree PLUS experience equals success.

Self employment is a lot tougher then you think. It won't seem that way since you live with your parents and don't need to pay bills. When you buy a house/condo/whatever the reality of bills will very very quickly sink in. You will be very very poor for a long time if you don't have some kind of job to put bread on the table for awhile. Self employment is never guaranteed. You might make $70k in 2007, and $5k in 2008. There is just no guarantee. It's like being a realtor -- they have no guarantees.

It's great you're looking for housing (and finding ways to save money), but you need to look at other things besides just getting a place to live. Taxes being one thing -- self employed people have to do taxes, too, but they have to do it themselves. Nobody does it for you. Just an example. You have to look at the cost of living too. Not just housing prices. You pay for a house ONCE, but taxes are annual. So even if you pay a lot for a house -- the taxes could be low. Examples include Delaware and New Hampshire. in these states taxes are low, but house prices are not so low. once you buy a house though, you're pretty much set.

The short of this is -- well, too late for that! -- but the short of this is that you should get a real job to back yourself up. I know you hate bosses but that's life. And don't ask for $15/hour.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:06 AM

569 posts, read 1,229,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
....My moms a teacher and gets only $32k a year......Thursday I go to that service thats supposed to find me a job as they still cant find me one and I refuse to work for less than $15/hour.

NAH, wake up man because you are dreaming. If you worked fulltime at $15 an hour the annual salary would be $31,200. Your mother makes $32,000 annually, what makes think you deserve what she makes when you're first starting out?

Old 02-11-2007, 03:06 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
I would take the lower paying job if the experience was relevant. You have to have relevant experience to make the real money.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
NAH, wake up man because you are dreaming. If you worked fulltime at $15 an hour the annual salary would be $31,200. Your mother makes $32,000 annually, what makes think you deserve what she makes when you're first starting out?
Exactly.

Despite what people feel, most of the time, a $30k's salary is pretty average. It's not poor, but it's not rich. It's on the lower side of middle class true but a LOT of people make in the 30's and 40's.

Wages are always low when you begin. That's why most people live with parents and build up experience/move up. Unfortunately, NAH, you're just wasting the time you could be using to move up.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:00 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
sit at home and earn nothing or go to work and earn $8-$10 per hour
this isn't rocket experience
Without experience you don't have a "track record"
Should I chose to go back to work I could go in demanding $15 per hour because I have a "track record"
I have a resume with lots of experience,I have letters of recommendations and most important I have connections I made while working.
Going into a company with no experience or in your case as a graphic designer without a portfolio of your proven work and requiring a higher wage
wont cut it.
Also not having a proven track record will make it hard to get clients if you are self-employed.
If I was looking for someone to design my website the first thing I would want to see is other websites they have designed and their list of references from previous clients.
There are many people who "claim" to be graphic artists that offer to design websites. But before most people and companies part with their hard earned money they want proof of the designers ability and success
I guess I just don't understand
So many older more experienced people have offered you advise I can't understand why you would not want to listen to any of it.
When you get a job and a more experienced employee (perhaps your boss) offers advise or suggestions as to what you should be doing and you don't listen could result in a very short time with that company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment