Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:51 PM

227 posts, read 745,717 times

Advertisements

Today at work one of my employees accused me of discrimination. I'm a district manager for a CPG company. Last week I was working with this employee and found multiple issues inside his store. He had multiple out of date items (expired) product on the shelves. I have written him up before. This time I didn't I gave home a chance to improve his market conditions. He's been with the company for 10+ years. He's been writing up by two different managers over 6 times before of poor market conditions. I have written him up once. I really don't understand why he said I discriminated against him when I'm only holding him accountable for his job performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 07:19 PM

158 posts, read 98,940 times
This is very serious IMO. At no point should you give in or back away from this. If there is anything you can do to escilate this do it. Last thing you need to be known as is a racist.

Edit: I had something similar happen to me once. I was threatened with a supina and legal action. I stuck with my story and everything worked out because there was documentation to support it.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:31 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Today at work one of my employees accused me of discrimination. I'm a district manager for a CPG company. Last week I was working with this employee and found multiple issues inside his store. He had multiple out of date items (expired) product on the shelves. I have written him up before. This time I didn't I gave home a chance to improve his market conditions. He's been with the company for 10+ years. He's been writing up by two different managers over 6 times before of poor market conditions. I have written him up once. I really don't understand why he said I discriminated against him when I'm only holding him accountable for his job performance.
This is a 'card' some employees play when the deck is stacked against them. I worked as a food service manager for a while in a Union facility. You better believe whenever I'd start cracking down on issues the claim of 'discrimination' was cried for everyone to hear.

The way I dealt with it, was I posted the policy in the department, had education on the topic, and when the concept wasn't done a certain way it was supposed to, there would be a write up.

And because EVERYONE was educated on the material and the POLICY was public so EVERYONE could see in the department,

NO CLAIM OF DISCRIMINATION WAS JUSTIFIABLE.

Ultimately I got tired of being a baby sitter and got out of management altogether. Much healthier now.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:41 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
So hand it off to HR to handle it and go on with your day.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:45 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
A grasp at a straw to save their bacon, don't even acknowledge such ridiculous claims against you.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86 View Post
This is very serious IMO. At no point should you give in or back away from this. If there is anything you can do to escilate this do it. Last thing you need to be known as is a racist.

Edit: I had something similar happen to me once. I was threatened with a supina and legal action. I stuck with my story and everything worked out because there was documentation to support it.
There was no mention of race. I suppose that's the most likely but it could be another protected class such as over 40, disability or sexual orientation.

I have been a supervisor or manager since the 1980s, and have had similar accusations made a few times. It's almost always an effort to get some money from the employer that fired them, denied them a promotion, or put them on a performance improvement plan. I have been through a case that actually went to a lawsuit, as a witness (not my employee) and it's definitely something I would avoid. The two days of deposition before the plaintiff's team of lawyers were grueling, but I learned a lot. I would never fire someone without complete documentation of every fault and action taken to help them overcome their deficiencies. If an employer has given opportunities for improvement but none is made, then the firing will be upheld as justified. Some employers, however, especially public agencies, will go ahead and settle out of court and give money to the complainer just to keep it from tarnishing their corporate image and avoid publicity. What will always come back to bite you is treating another employee (who is not in that protected class) differently. If this person can show that their work was no worse than someone who has not been disciplined, you will lose the case.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
It's a defense mechanism of someone who feels threatened. (His job feels threatened, and rightly so)

Tells a lot about a person though.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:15 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
It is a tactic of those who want to avoid accountability.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:52 AM

455 posts, read 388,663 times
Quote:
You've explained your issue, now explain his from his perspective.

What did he say that supports his rationale that you are being discriminatory, said something discriminatory or were motivated by discriminatory reasons? Please don't explain the performance issues, we get it.

Can;t you just ask him if all he said was "you're discriminating against me." You could say, what leads you to say this? In his mind you may be acting in a way that he feels that you single him out and maybe you could change your approach to get the message through better.

On a side note, how many warning do you people give out before you fire someone. Is there really any point to continuing to write someone up if they just keep getting another one??

Old 08-24-2016, 09:19 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,383,369 times
I agree with others that this sounds like a desperate tactic to scare you into not disciplining the employee. OP, you and your employer will ultimately be fine since it sounds like you all have been wise enough to document his failings. However, the employee can make this a horrible experience because all he has to do is make the discrimination allegation to the EEOC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment