Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:41 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
Nope, not a big problem, just more of a puzzle for me. It never dawns on me to ask people about their food. I would consider that invasive of another's personal space. Could be because usually ALL the people here are trying to diet, so when they are sneaking around with their pasta, they don't want anyone to notice-so I don't ask!
Yeah, I hate it when people want to talk about the weather too. Like it's something we can control or manipulate. It's not MY weather so wtf ... bug out!

Same thing with comments about sports teams ... heck I don't even like sports! And even if I did, it's private whom I cheer for ... I may not even like the local team if what they're after is something to rag on me about. Stupid people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 02:43 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
A lot of people are food-obsessed. As in, their whole life revolves around thinking of food, talking about food, preparing food, eating food, etc. etc. If you're on Facebook and you see the number of folks who actually think that posting a photo of a plate of food is interesting you'll see what I'm talking about.

I've also found the "Misery loves company" crowd will absolutely hate on you with all their might if you choose to GASP! consistently eat healthy and forego the office crap that people bring in. How dare we not eat their chocolate cake in honor of <insert real or made-up holiday here>, don't you want to be like us????

I choose to be, for the most part, healthy with only the occasional indulgences, not the other way around. That upsets a lot of people, or so I've found in my experience.
totally agree with you. god forbid someone bring in some fruit or something. it always has to be cake/bagels/pastries.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:56 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
We did this a lot at our workplace! We shared recipes too!
Great way to find out if someone has food allergies... As we often brought in treats for the staff.

It would cross the line if they took it from you... Otherwise it's inquisitiveness.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:16 PM

226 posts, read 198,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Definitely sounds like they've got something against you. They are picking on you specifically. Probably about to organize a putsch and oust you.

On the other hand could just be natural conversation about a relatively uncontroversial subject which we all partake in.

I never realized there were so many misanthropes and lunatics at work till I started reading this forum.
People do this to everyone. There are just a few folks like me who don't get the concept.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:38 PM

749 posts, read 852,331 times
Agree, it is irritating and I always thought lunch was supposed to be a Break, a break from office politics, peer pressure, pc crap in general. May have lost a few jobs/ladder climbs over my tendency to flee the scene entirely, to eat at a park, far corner of the company cafe, etc.

There is no good answer here, no logical explanation for 'lunch relaxation interference'.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:18 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
be happy, we had one guy that would pick up your sandwich and start eating on it

Old 09-07-2016, 04:27 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,118,146 times
I once caught a 60 yo maintenance man at my job in the fridge eating stuff out of MY lunchbag. I had an apple in my hand and launched it right at his back. People used to set up candy traps for him. They would fill a bowl of candy and he would walk by and literally take all of them with no shame. The way some people are raised baffles me.

Old 09-07-2016, 04:33 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
I have tried to understand the myriad of possible reasons people like to do this, but since it is so prevalent, I need answers from the folks who actually do it.
Whether I am taking food from the microwave or just pulling a bag from the fridge, there is always someone right there leaning over to see what I have. And it is usually accompanied by some comment about yumminess or how they wish they had something different than what they brought.

It just feels invasive. What if I had brought leftovers from my cannibal feast? Now I have to share that info with you? And so what if I have a really big salad. Must you guys have to say something about it?
I'm like you. I'm flabbergasted at how much other people pay attention to the food a person is eating or not eating. What he eats, what he adds to it (or not), how much of it he eats, how fast he eats, what your opinion of it is, etc. I think it's a judgmental thing sometimes. I can't tell you the number of times people have said to me, after the fact, "how much Martha had eaten" at lunch and shouldn't she be on diet? Or whatever.

I had a "friend" criticizing my lunch one day (something like the quantity or what it was or something). I sat there thinking....between the two of us, I'm the healthy one while she has something medically wrong with seemingly all parts of her body, my bloodwork was an example of normalcy, my weight was normal, I was clearly much more energetic, I had a happier disposition. She was riddled with medical problems, a melancholy complaining person. I thought about telling her, "If you want to be healthy and happy, like I am, I suggest you start copying my eating patterns." But I didn't.

I rarely notice what anyone else is eating, how much of it, or anything else.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:30 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,811,321 times
I would make a big production of announcing what you are going to eat. "On today's menu we have...". After a while it will get old or you will become very popular.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:04 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
People are always checking out each others leftovers. Be glad they don't eat your food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment