Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:18 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

A lot of people are in this situation. Always keep an eye out but don't rock the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 08:23 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Are you seeing a therapist for your anxiety problems? Can they be treated, even for a few months, with medication?
It's not to the point where I need to be treated for it. I just get really nervous/anxious when:

- I start a new job
- I am faced with new challenges that cause me to question my ability to conquer them
- Have too many deadlines/too much pressure

It probably takes me longer than most people to adapt to new situations. In the case of the two jobs I left, I had just graduated from college and probably got intimidated by them. But I've worked in 3 jobs since that have all gone well.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:45 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Flexibility, a fairly easy to do job with decent pay and a regular schedule are pretty priceless when you become a parent. If that is something that is definitely in the near future, that's a big point in favor of stick it out, at least for now.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:48 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,232 times
i am pretty much in the same position - i'm doing what the above poster said about keeping an eye but don't rock the boat.

i look at job postings every single day. if i see something that looks good, i apply, i have been on three interviews so far, none of them seemed like a good fit. but it's ok because i know it's also not a big deal if i end up staying in my current position for a few more months or even a whole year. it's actually a decent position to be in - i can be picky about the next job, there is no rush, i can take my time looking, and i will change jobs only if everything is a perfect fit.

so is it possible to at least start searching and looking and maybe applying to a few jobs you think are a good fit? and then you can go from there. maybe you will go on a few interviews and realize you have it better than you thought. or you will realize it is definitely time to leave.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Flexibility, a fairly easy to do job with decent pay and a regular schedule are pretty priceless when you become a parent. If that is something that is definitely in the near future, that's a big point in favor of stick it out, at least for now.
I wouldn't say we're 100% sure we'll have kids, but we remain open to it. Still, even childfree people who want ample time for hobbies and relaxation would probably find such flexibility welcome.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:50 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I agree with you. I am a copywriter and would rather be in a job that makes use of my writing skills than one that pays more but is less about writing and more about politics and bossing others around.

I have noticed that the higher up you go, the less your job requires technical skills. In other words, you no longer work in a "production" capacity.
If you think you are in the right field, then it's a pretty easy fix I think.

Finding a new job when you have contiguous experience in that same field is relatively easy.

In terms of 'having an easy, decent paying job' versus something more 'meaningful, engaging, but stressful', I have been on the fence.

For the longest time, I wanted to be the former. I wanted to be retail pharmacist. Now, I think I want the latter.

All I know is that unmeaningful, stressful, and longer hours is a bad combination.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:54 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
I LEFT a semi-boring $58K/ year job. But I left because the commute was far and the pay was NOT high paying. I don't consider that to be a high paying salary. I now work in fairly easy environment and make over 100K annually.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post

so is it possible to at least start searching and looking and maybe applying to a few jobs you think are a good fit? and then you can go from there. maybe you will go on a few interviews and realize you have it better than you thought. or you will realize it is definitely time to leave.

I've actually been looking for about a year now. I've only had one interview thus far (earlier this summer); it helped me realize the job I applied for, which sounded great on paper, would ultimately be a bad fit.

I'm in no rush and have the same high standards you do. If the pay, benefits, and responsibilities are not to my liking, I won't budge. Obviously, I'm looking for something lighter on red tape and heavier on writing.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:22 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
If you have been looking for a new job for over 1 year but only got 1 interview, then you need to completely overhaul your resume. Try the new resume to see how much interest you get.

You said you make good money, but I don't think you said what comparable pay is outside your company. Can you get another job making 20% more? Or would you basically get nearly the same pay that you are getting now, except work harder? If you jump ship for similar pay only to find out it's highly stressful and requires evenings/weekends to meet deadlines and then also worry about layoffs, then is it really worth it? I'd consider jumping ship if it nets you higher salary or good potential for promotions but it needs to be a stable company (like yours).

1 other important thing: Is your company a good, well known company that people stay at for their entire career? Maybe it has good benefits and doesn't have a history of layoffs and is well respected in the industry? If your company is the gold standard employer, then maybe stay there and hope that things change when your boss leaves.

lastly, maybe ask your boss to give you one higher profile project. Maybe your boss is doing the work herself because she doesn't have confidence in her staff to do the work. Maybe a different employee messed things up so she doesn't have the trust any longer.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Very good points.

Have you ever taken a Myer Briggs Test before? It might help you evaluate what direction you want to go career wise.

Decisions about staying or leaving depend on the job market in the area. It depends on what your skills are. The grass is always..... until you get on the other side of the fence.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment