Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:57 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,775,266 times

Advertisements

Assume the following about your job:

- You've been working in the same position for over 5 years
- You get paid pretty well (55-60k) and receive good benefits
- You work for a stable company
- You like the people in your department, even though most tend to be considerably older -- making you feel out of touch sometimes
- Your boss is very finicky about your work -- she wants it done her way and is very resistant to change
- Your boss and her boss both give you orders, and oftentimes they bicker and disagree with one another
- Your boss is very fair and understanding when it comes to PTO, sick days, vacations, etc.
- Your boss is probably going to retire in the next year or two, but has shown that your career growth is not a priority
- Even though your boss is nearing the end of her career, she has persistently given you smaller/easier projects while taking on bigger ones that bring her more visibility
- You feel as if your job has pigeonholed you into being a support person/right hand man for your boss
- You've pretty much mastered the job
- You feel stagnant -- there's not much else to learn and no promotions on the horizon
- No other openings within the company interest you at the moment
- You feel comfortable/complacent but bored because your skills aren't being utilized like you'd want them to be
- Your department is very old school, and you're still in your early 30s
- It's a "safe," slow-paced job that would probably bore most people in their 30s
- The job has given you so much downtime that you have been able to do everything from read articles online and write posts for your personal blog on your phone to search for homes and plan vacations while on the clock
- Many of your coworkers have worked here (and in the same department) for 20+ years. In that span, they've each gotten maybe one promotion. They all concede that they got complacent and their career growth suffered as a result. Now they feel too old (50s and 60s) to go out there and compete with millennials for jobs.
- You have some anxiety problems that make you nervous about change and starting over from scratch at a different company
-In the past, you've quit two jobs after a few weeks because they haven't been good fits
- You're married, have a mortgage to pay, and may have a kid in the coming years

All things considered, would you be looking for a new job?

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 09-13-2016 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 07:04 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
It depends on whether you see the work as 'just a paycheck" or you have higher aspirations. Being that you made this thread gives off vibes that you want to move on.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:07 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post

- You like the people in your department, even though most tend to be considerably older -- making you feel out of touch sometimes
- Your boss is very finicky about your work -- she wants it done her way and is very resistant to change
- Your boss and her boss both give you orders, and oftentimes they bicker and disagree with one another
- Your boss is very fair and understanding when it comes to PTO, sick days, vacations, etc.
- Your boss is probably going to retire in the next year or two, but has shown that your career growth is not a priority
- Even though your boss is nearing the end of her career, she has persistently given you smaller/easier projects while taking on bigger ones that bring her more visibility
- You feel as if your job has pigeonholed you into being a support person/right hand man for your boss
- You feel stagnant -- there's not much else to learn and no promotions on the horizon
- You feel comfortable/complacent but bored because your skills aren't being utilized like you'd want them to be
- You have some anxiety problems that make you nervous about change and starting over from scratch at a different company
-In the past, you've quit two jobs after a few weeks because they haven't been good fits
- You're married, have a mortgage to pay, and may have a kid in the coming years

All things considered, would you be looking for a new job?
If enjoyed in and believed in what I do (I don't, at least not particularly), then I'd have no problem just doing the tasks at hand.

For example, I think if you enjoy patient care and being a nurse, then you never have to advance from those duties.

The people who are at the top of the totem pole and make the big bucks at my company are barely involved anymore in the technical aspects of what we do. They sell, shmooze, manage the office and fiscal considerations. I mean, for all intents and purposes they could be selling and managing stuffed sausages. I'm exaggerating but...

That's just me, I'd rather do a repeated task that I like and make the kind of $ you make, than climb the totem pole and be engulfed in office bureaucracy and trying to hobnob clients. Most people are the opposite. They want to move into business development/climb/make more $. Doesn't matter what they do, so long as they are excelling at it and making more $.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:13 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Nah, it all sounds very typical to me. It would help to know where you live to get a sense of the job market. In many areas, that job would be highly coveted. But in a strong job market, replacing $55-60K would not be hard to do.

You didn't mention stress, long hours, weekend work... things that 'take' from your life. You could get a more interesting and higher paying job that demands 50+ hours a week, maybe some home work, and probably some lost sleep. Extra time for hobbies, spouse, impending children, exercise and healthy food could be badly reduced; you may not miss it till its gone. So be careful what you wish for.

In my field I know I could make about 20% more but it would cost my personal life and health much more than that.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:33 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:

- It's a "safe," slow-paced job that would probably bore most people in their 30s
- The job has given you so much downtime that you have been able to do everything from read articles online and write posts for your personal blog on your phone to search for homes and plan vacations while on the clock
- Many of your coworkers have worked here (and in the same department) for 20+ years. In that span, they've each gotten maybe one promotion. They all concede that they got complacent and their career growth suffered as a result. Now they feel too old (50s and 60s) to go out there and compete with millennials for jobs.
This is a textbook example of a person who should start looking for another job. Engage yourself, gain new skills, get a promotion, make more money.

Quote:

Aaaannnnndddddd the train derails right here. Those are great reasons to stay where you are. Are you seeing a therapist for your anxiety problems? Can they be treated, even for a few months, with medication?

Changing jobs is a risk, and my rule of thumb is that you don't want to jump ship from a good job unless the salary bump is at least 15%. Too much risk in landing a bad job. You might have a riskier time changing jobs than most people. The relevant questions revolve around your ability to adapt, and seeing a professional is probably the best way to determine this.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It depends on whether you see the work as 'just a paycheck" or you have higher aspirations. Being that you made this thread gives off vibes that you want to move on.
That's a great point. I do have higher aspirations -- not necessarily to become a CEO and make six figures, but to be in a writing-heavy job that affords me more creative latitude. (I'm a copywriter.)

Unfortunately, red tape prevents me from putting my stamp on almost anything here. My boss gets all the high-visibility projects that involve writing original copy. I feel I'm a glorified proofreader/copy editor more than anything else.

And, yes, I've tried to ask for more, but to no avail. I honestly feel like I'm being paid well -- in part -- to toe the line and leave creativity at the door.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:43 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
Quote:
That's a great point. I do have higher aspirations -- not necessarily to become a CEO and make six figures, but to be in a writing-heavy job that affords me more creative latitude. (I'm a copywriter.)

Unfortunately, red tape prevents me from putting my stamp on almost anything here. My boss gets all the high-visibility projects that involve writing original copy. I feel I'm a glorified proofreader/copy editor more than anything else.

And, yes, I've tried to ask for more, but to no avail. I honestly feel like I'm being paid well -- in part -- to toe the line and leave creativity at the door.
i would stay at least until your boss retires. Then someone new may come in who gives you a shot to "do more".. You're otherwise happy with your job, don't seem to have stress and are happy with your pay. You're putting all of that at risk by leaving. It's a big box of worms out there sometimes.. If you're mostly happy i would stay put but obviously up to you and what you can/can't handle.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I do it now.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

The people who are at the top of the totem pole and make the big bucks at my company are barely involved anymore in the technical aspects of what we do. They sell, shmooze, manage the office and fiscal considerations. I mean, for all intents and purposes they could be selling and managing stuffed sausages. I'm exaggerating but...

That's just me, I'd rather do a repeated task that I like and make the kind of $ you make, than climb the totem pole and be engulfed in office bureaucracy and trying to hobnob clients. Most people are the opposite. They want to move into business development/climb/make more $. Doesn't matter what they do, so long as they are excelling at it and making more $.
I agree with you. I am a copywriter and would rather be in a job that makes use of my writing skills than one that pays more but is less about writing and more about politics and bossing others around.

I have noticed that the higher up you go, the less your job requires technical skills. In other words, you no longer work in a "production" capacity.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post

You didn't mention stress, long hours, weekend work... things that 'take' from your life. You could get a more interesting and higher paying job that demands 50+ hours a week, maybe some home work, and probably some lost sleep. Extra time for hobbies, spouse, impending children, exercise and healthy food could be badly reduced; you may not miss it till its gone. So be careful what you wish for.
You're absolutely right that those are things worth considering. No stress at all -- if anything, I could use a little. I work from 9 to 5:30, and the times I have had to stay later I can count with one hand. I've never worked weekends. Leaving at 5:29 is not frowned upon here. Everyone knows working harder won't lead to a promotion, so they simply do what's expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment