Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 12:40 PM

54 posts, read 56,850 times

Advertisements

The media is full of stories about people working in retirement. (Must be a play on words.)

I suspect that many of the posters on this board are younger and career orientated. Maybe you don't know how you will think or feel when you are old. (65 +)

So, look at parents, grandparents, friends and neighbors who are older. Are they suited for full time work when they reached 65 years old? Would they add value to the organization- more so than the younger workers who are looking for that job too?

Do your older retired family members miss the world of work? Is it really a good idea for people who are retired age to work full time in corporate America, in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 12:46 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Not if I can help it.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
My parents aren't working in retirement. I definitely will. I have some retirement careers already picked out! I'll be bored, I need to get up and go! Can't wait!

I hope I'll have enough money to not need to work in retirement, but I plan to to pass the time!

My retirement jobs:
work in a book store
be a personal shopper
work at the library

I am sure I'll come up with more over time. I'll probably volunteer too. I probably will be over it working in my career role by then, but who knows!

I don't know what this crazy idea is that retired people can't contribute. Your brain doesn't turn off because you are 65!

Old 09-13-2016, 01:04 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,216,195 times
My dad once admitted that he retired too early (late 50s then again in his mid 60s) and my mother took a couple of part time jobs in retirement so I suspect I would be well served to maintain a job as well. If I could work 20 hours a week that would be great. I am someone who gets pretty lost without a schedule and if nothing else it will get me out of the house & let me maintain some mental skills.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:08 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Guru View Post
The media is full of stories about people working in retirement. (Must be a play on words.)

Do your older retired family members miss the world of work? Is it really a good idea for people who are retired age to work full time in corporate America, in general?
My Mother started falling down due to a previously untreated inner ear issue in 1997. She had to "Retire" then due to her balance being off kilter. 2 years after this, she heard of a operation which "Could" fix her issue.

"Mom, what would you do if it did fix this?" I asked.

"Go back to work!" she replied. (She passed away in 2007 due to Alzheimer's)

She knew nothing more as she never felt she "Had enough" to retire.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:13 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
well past "retirement age" ...

and I can't imagine not working. Love what I do, it's entertaining and still challenging/rewarding for me. And the income isn't bad, either.

between farm and ranch, and service businesses ... I'm having fun. Isn't that what it's all about?

Sorry, but I've watched way too many of my contemporaries count the days on the calendar until they could "retire"; ie, not go to work to the job they hated/despised and were only putting time in to capture the retirement vesting and SS cash flow. Their dreams of fishing/golfing/tennis/loafing around/travel/much leisure time simply didn't keep them active or engaged with a sense of purpose any longer. With the exception of only a few, most of them didn't last very long in retirement before succumbing to serious debilitating illnesses which wiped them out. The worst of this was seeing the guys that were buried in their mid-to-late 50's, especially the ones that had built up sufficient wealth that they could live on the investment cash flow.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:15 PM

45,419 posts, read 60,608,674 times
No I don't because I'm Retired Now.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Some people just need to work to be happy. At a place I used to work, a woman just retired two months ago with 55 years service, at age 82. Her kids talked her into it, she still enjoyed her work. She died two weeks later, but had not been ill or anything. My aunt retired last year at age 74, and has no plans to work again, but her home is paid off so she is OK financially. I intend to keep doing my small side business after retiring, it currently brings us an extra 8-10k/year to help with vacations, but I really won't know if I'll get any kind of job until I do retire. I'm at 64 now, and it will be at least another 4-6 years because I like my work and like the pay and benefits a lot.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I can not imagine retiring and I am 51. Have no idea about wanting to stop anytime soon. Hoping to keep going way into my 80's. My dad retired when he was 64. He was planning on waiting till he hit 65 but found that he would only lose about $50 a month from Social Security if he retired at 64 and then the lady at the Social Security office told him that in January they would increase the benefit by $50. So for about 6 months he was getting less than he would have gotten if he waited till age 65 but if he had waited he would have missed out on the $50 increase so for him it was a good thing. He also had a retirement income from two other companies.

At my age I am just getting started. So much more that I want to do. I am building a business in the Security and Safety products field as we speak. Fell into that because of my work at the hospital and starting to hope that it will grow to the point where I can leave the hospital. I could see myself doing that for another 30 years easy. Then again it helps if you have your own business and a few kids maybe that want to help you build it into something that they can eventually run.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:30 PM

54 posts, read 56,850 times
Wait till you are sixty + and corporate America tells you that you are worthless and lays you off and then try to find a new job. Most of my friends who are retired did so on someone else's schedule and are bitter.

They wake up in the morning and feel terrible and realize that it was all for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment