Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:59 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times

Advertisements

I've done it three times in my life. It depends on the career. I'm in Engineering, and they tend to look nationwide for candidates. I think its a drop in the bucket for big companies to move someone cross country even though it costs a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:45 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
He's going to have to be mobile, for sure. He can ask for a WebEx/virtual interview at first and say he's in the process of moving, but they may not go for that.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:45 AM

93 posts, read 95,961 times
Get a google voice number with the area code of where you want to be. Then in a cover letter, mention that you live out of state but are planning a move upon receiving a job offer.

Don't lie about where you are or anything. But I lived in TX with a NE cell phone. We wanted to move to NE. I really think the local number helped quite a bit. I interviewed a lot over the phone and skype. I was a finalist for 4 jobs and received offers for 2. It did take about 6 months.

My husband had a harder time. He stayed behind, sold our house and moved without a job. It took him less than a week to find one when he was local. He's in a high demand field.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:23 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
OP, has he looked into sales for craft breweries? I know that craft breweries are the "thing" now in Virginia and a lot of other places, and there may be some opportunities for him in that arena.

What state/city are you moving to?

Old 09-20-2016, 12:46 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
That is a great idea! Though we have to sell our home here in AZ and then move our family's things. If he were asked to show up for an interview that same week?
He goes?

You seem to want a job offer in hand and then time for YOU to get your stuff together, find a place, move, which could take 6 months.

If an employer is offering an interview in an area you WANT live in, are you suggesting that your husband turn down an interview? What if someone now, who knows that you do not live the area requests an interview on Friday. Would he turn that down?

This post is very confusing. Either you want to move or you don't. You figure out how to make it work. Get a vacation rental for two months. Go to an extended stay hotel. SMH> If you want it bad enough, you do what it takes. You don;t focus on what is not working, you figure out how to make it work.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:36 PM

129 posts, read 150,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
He goes?

You seem to want a job offer in hand and then time for YOU to get your stuff together, find a place, move, which could take 6 months.

If an employer is offering an interview in an area you WANT live in, are you suggesting that your husband turn down an interview? What if someone now, who knows that you do not live the area requests an interview on Friday. Would he turn that down?

This post is very confusing. Either you want to move or you don't. You figure out how to make it work. Get a vacation rental for two months. Go to an extended stay hotel. SMH> If you want it bad enough, you do what it takes. You don;t focus on what is not working, you figure out how to make it work.
Wow yea thanks for that. We want to move. Of course he wouldn't turn down an interview. We are just trying to figure out the best route and plan to determine which needs to happen first in this timeline. We have two young children, a whole house to pack up and sell, and need to find appropriate accommodations for us to move to. Let alone budget everything. It is looking like it would be easier to pack up/sell the house/ then move to a vacation rental for a few months while he looked for employment locally.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:44 PM

129 posts, read 150,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
OP, has he looked into sales for craft breweries? I know that craft breweries are the "thing" now in Virginia and a lot of other places, and there may be some opportunities for him in that arena.

What state/city are you moving to?
Great idea, we noticed the craft beer market when we visited but haven't seen any open positions yet.

Wilmington, North Carolina

Old 09-20-2016, 03:41 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Wow yea thanks for that. We want to move. Of course he wouldn't turn down an interview. We are just trying to figure out the best route and plan to determine which needs to happen first in this timeline. We have two young children, a whole house to pack up and sell, and need to find appropriate accommodations for us to move to. Let alone budget everything. It is looking like it would be easier to pack up/sell the house/ then move to a vacation rental for a few months while he looked for employment locally.
You need to start budgeting now. If you haven't done that, you are headed for disaster.

And are you willing to wait for a job offer that could be two years down the road? Or do you want to MOVE?

You are burying yourself in all the details before you even have a plan. Get a realistic budget, get a realistic timeline, using worst case scenario of no new job and go from there.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately my husband's job is not a specialized skill (beverage/soft drink sales). We are thinking we will just need to pack up, sell our house, and move while relying on savings until he secures employment locally. However, how does one rent a short term apartment without W2's or even an offer letter?
You might have to put up many months of rental income up front, as a sign of good faith. Some have been known to pay 6-12 months to secure a place, or show a bank statement. Of course, all this is negotiable..

Old 09-20-2016, 04:41 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Do you know anyone in any of your target cities? Sometimes it's a lot easier to find a job if you can put a local address on the resume.
Really, really bad idea.

Than when you asked to come in for an interview you have a problem, unless you're talking a job in CT when you live in MA. Any place regarding a good distance or a plane ride and you're screwed.

Quote:
We do not

Plus, if we had a local address on there and they wanted him to start quickly or interview that same week..we would have some explaining to do.
Smart lady, it's not worth it. Plus if you come clean it makes you look devious and they will wonder what else is not true.

Always amazed people suggest this, especially when you're talking states that are far apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment