Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 05:24 PM

129 posts, read 150,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really, really bad idea.

Than when you asked to come in for an interview you have a problem, unless you're talking a job in CT when you live in MA. Any place regarding a good distance or a plane ride and you're screwed.

Smart lady, it's not worth it. Plus if you come clean it makes you look devious and they will wonder what else is not true.

Always amazed people suggest this, especially when you're talking states that are far apart.
Agreed! We are talking west coast to east coast. He has already been passed up for a transfer position due to another candidate able to start that same week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 06:01 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
How do people move to another state, say across the country WITH a job lined up? How does one get noticed through a digital resume database with an out of state address?

My hubby has been applying for a few months now, even for a few positions he is more than qualified for with zero bites. Getting those generic "we have decided the qualifications of another candidate are a better match" emails.

So how do those gain a job out of state before moving? Or do most quit, move and then find employment when in their new city?

Tips, encouragement please? Trying to stay positive and looking toward our future while trying to not be miserable where we are.

Thanks!
1) Get local Google phone number.
2) GO to the place and suss out a defensible Mailboxes (or other) address. There are services like this that will provide a STREET addy instead of a local PO Box addy.
3) Despite trepidation about the next recession, find something to blog about on Linky. You want recruiters and such to find YOU and reach out to YOU, not vice-versa. If you are looking, you can't afford to be invisible.
4) RESEARCH the characteristics of your target region. If you are in software engineering, for example, places to research are tech hubs in TX (?Austin?); DC Metro; Salt Lake. Those geographies are where you must concentrate your search. Those are the geographies in which you want to ghost yourself by virtue of Google Phone and Linky.
5) Change something about your profile once a week. You have a higher likelihood of scoring correspondence and interviews when your content (resume, posts, whatever) remain on top of people's mailboxes by virtue of the fact that something has changed. Whenever something changes in your ecosphere, your "hits" are augmented.
6) Make it easy for "them" to hire you. The "income gatekeepers" (recruiters, hiring folks, etc) nowadays ask you to a local in-person screener, which you (naturally) have to attend in real life. They want to screen out people like you (us), who are not yet where the opportunity is. Be prepared for this indignity, and take it in stride. What local person would put up a hissy fit about a local in-person screener?
7) Set some cash aside for these activities. You can't afford to be living close to the bone during a long-distance job search.
8) The MINUTE you land, put the wheels in motion to develop an independent income stream.
9) If your spouse is not with the program, you have just embarked on an enormous time and money suck.
10) Get yourself an anonymizing network connectivity service so that people can't trace where you are from your IP address.

Key is to avoid advertising the fact that you are only there in spirit, not yet in body. Best wishes!

Old 09-20-2016, 07:55 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,582 times
I till this day have not had luck finding a job in either of my careers finding a job out of state, though trust me, I've tried plenty. In my first career in the video game industry, I did a lot of out of state interviews (getting flown all over the place on the company's dime was cool) because it was such a niche field, but I never actually landed an out of state job, only more local.

It's only been more local only jobs in my current field of Accounting/Finance. I don't think I even got a response from any out of state companies I applied too, and most people I talked too said don't bother because there is simply too much local competition.

The only times I've seen companies hire out of state has been for very senior/executive positions, or for the rare super professional yet entry level roles like doctors and medical professionals, engineers, or maybe those from prestigious/ivy league schools.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:50 PM

17 posts, read 12,717 times
Hi, I used to work for a large soft drink company and then went to work for a Winery so I have a couple suggestions:

1) agree with the poster about stating on the cover letter that you are funding your own relo
2) if he wants to work in Sales and would be interested in an alcoholic bev co, most states require a 3 tier distribution system, which means the distribution company employs the sales personnel, not the manufacturer.

You may want to google to see which distributors are in your preferred cities (Google search)

I also remember a website called CPGJobs(dot)com that had a boatload of jobs in the consumer packaged goods industry.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2016, 11:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
I got a Mailboxes, Etc., address (and paid for forwarding) in my target area and a smart phone with the appropriate area code. Had I known someone well enough I might have used their address. That was the info on my resumes. No info about my current residence. In other words, I pretended I lived there already. I gave my eighty million cold-call letters a chance to hit people's desks then took a trip to the city and stayed in a Residence Inn for a couple of weeks. I networked like crazy. I had to make a second trip later, but it worked out in the end.

PS: You have to open mail boxes now in person and have lots of approved government IDs. Homeland Security regs.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 09-20-2016 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: added p.s.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
How do people move to another state, say across the country WITH a job lined up? How does one get noticed through a digital resume database with an out of state address?

My hubby has been applying for a few months now, even for a few positions he is more than qualified for with zero bites. Getting those generic "we have decided the qualifications of another candidate are a better match" emails.

So how do those gain a job out of state before moving? Or do most quit, move and then find employment when in their new city?

Tips, encouragement please? Trying to stay positive and looking toward our future while trying to not be miserable where we are.

Thanks!
I went from Chicago to San Jose via job transfer with my company. Originally I planned on living in CA for a few years and then return to Chicago. After 3.5 years I decided I would be staying instead of returning, and then switched jobs locally.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:19 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Any particular reason you just "picked" a city on the East Coast that you have no ties to or know anyone?

Old 09-21-2016, 07:19 PM

18 posts, read 38,497 times
I work in IT and relocated earlier this year from CA to VA. I simply applied for jobs at companies in the states where I wanted to move to without cover letter, using my CA address on the resume. I was asked several times in interviews if I wanted to relocate and whether I needed relocation assistance.

If your husband is qualified enough but not receiving interviews or offers then maybe it's because his position is not specialized enough and employers have no shortage in finding qualified candidates that are local. That, or they don't want to pay for relocation. Maybe he needs to apply at companies who have offices in multiple states. They should be used to hiring out-of-state employees.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:31 PM

129 posts, read 150,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Any particular reason you just "picked" a city on the East Coast that you have no ties to or know anyone?
Top school district
Affordable homes in family oriented neighborhoods 15 minutes from the beach
Small city size
Favorable four season weather
Low taxes
Drivable for us to visit family in NJ vs flying from Phx.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:22 AM

633 posts, read 581,912 times
Quote:

Thanks!
You update your linked in profile to show the city or state you are interested. When recruiters do searches your hubbies name pops up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment