Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So its a BS thread to pump up the image of Walmart with potential employees. Got it. I'm shocked
I agree. OP's thread seems overly positive and glowing. I'm no Walmart basher; I enjoy shopping there on occasion, but it certainly isn't a place loaded with well paying employment opportunities. I'm not being mean, just realistic. I also find it difficult to believe that OP was hired on the same day she applied. Several years ago, I was desperate for a job and applied at Walmart. It took them weeks to get back to me, and that's when they were heavily promoting job opportunities in my city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 06:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Those who complain about Walmart the most are the $15 an hour crowd who try to make an entry level retail job their main job. If you're using it as a second job, or some retirement money, or if you're aspiring to go into management it's not a bad gig.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree. OP's thread seems overly positive and glowing. I'm no Walmart basher; I enjoy shopping there on occasion, but it certainly isn't a place loaded with well paying employment opportunities. I'm not being mean, just realistic. I also find it difficult to believe that OP was hired on the same day she applied. Several years ago, I was desperate for a job and applied at Walmart. It took them weeks to get back to me, and that's when they were heavily promoting job opportunities in my city.
And the same post was made virtually line for line a couple of years ago. Identical. Obvious BS.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:45 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm sorry, I know it's not always about the pay, but $15 an hour after working somewhere for 15 years is terrible pay!!
not really, it depends on where you live, I only make $19.25 and I been with my company 32 years, I really doubt harly anybody makes over $25 except for self employed and those with degrees.

$15 is pretty damn good around here

Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
You're the real hero.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
not really, it depends on where you live, I only make $19.25 and I been with my company 32 years, I really doubt harly anybody makes over $25 except for self employed and those with degrees.

$15 is pretty damn good around here
This is correct. Most where I live make $19 an hour or less and have their own homes. If you lived in Manhattan or San Fran you would be homeless on that so it's all relative.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:16 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,998,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I'm sorry, I know it's not always about the pay, but $15 an hour after working somewhere for 15 years is terrible pay!!

No it isn't.
If you haven't taken the initiative to move up to a more demanding, higher responsibility, higher wage position.

I worked at well paying union jobs for 19 years one union and 10 years with a totally different union.
In both of those unions, seniority only got you more vacation but seniority alone never entitled you to higher wages.
Seniority allowed you the opportunity to put your name in for a position( when openings were available ) that paid more due to it being more demanding or took more skill. In both unions, it was not unusual to see workers there 20 years doing the same job as they did when they started because they did not want more responsibilities.
Thus, they were working along side newer, younger workers who had only been there months and both got paid the same.

Outside of cost of living wage increases, anyone who stays at their same job position for 15 years and has no ambition to move up should not automatically get raise increases based solely on seniority.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:28 AM

855 posts, read 624,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Those who complain about Walmart the most are the $15 an hour crowd who try to make an entry level retail job their main job. If you're using it as a second job, or some retirement money, or if you're aspiring to go into management it's not a bad gig.

I hear this a lot and I don't get it.

Which self-appointed armchair job-coaches decided that such fields absolutely *must* be treated as only an entry-level job rather than a main job?

It's not as though they don't serve any purpose. I suppose the quickest way to find out would be to have all retail places close down for a day (heck, maybe just an hour in some areas), sit back, and observe the wailing and gnashing of teeth as chaos ensues. People can barely hold it together when they can't get their hands on already-sliced zucchini; I shudder to think how it would go if retail establishments were to take even a brief hiatus.

Besides, in my experience, one doesn't need to "try" to make such jobs their main jobs -- heck, those jobs are practically handed to them when other positions, for which one was perfectly qualified, end up going to someone else. And then, what if one discovers that their retail job is actually enjoyable? Seriously, even if one didn't want to go into management, cashiering is a pretty excellent gig in and of itself (and will probably only get better as time goes on and people just generally get more enlightened).

So again, I have to wonder who officially declared that retail jobs must not be anything but entry-level (and why those receiving such a declaration seemed to have just rolled over passively and accepted it)? Might it the same folks who insist that a townhouse isn't a "real" house and therefore it must only be treated as a starter-home from which one must move on to something "better", as opposed to a permanent dwelling?

-

Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
If you can't beat them chart your own course and be self-employed... it's the American way.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:27 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
You know it is funny to me how people love to blame Walmart for small businesses closing, but have no idea what the government has done to kill small businesses.

Yes kinda like what the FDA is doing right now with E-cigarettes and cigars. There is a two year window in place right now for the affected businesses to be well business as usual but once that comes to an end in August 2018..well..it's closing time. One of my neighbors runs a Vape store a few blocks from my place. They are doing great business right now but come two years from now when e-smokes more/less will be outlawed they will be out of business. Likewise with the cigar shop a few miles away. Two years from now when they can no longer sell 85% of their stock they will close too. All of this thanks to the FDA !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment