Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 06:33 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It appears they are ostracized from not only from the workplace but society in general? Why are they ostracized? These days it seems its worse being an introvert and loner than a sociopathic nut job who commits crimes in the private or public sector.

It completely amazes me how there is more resentment towards people who don't want to be socialites today and engage in interation with everyone and mind their own business (live and let live mentality) than there is politicians and corporate folk who commit CRIMES, backstab, and do all the subversive crap behind people's back to work their way up their chain.

I swear people would rather be screwed over by corporate sociopaths than avoided or not acknowledged by the introvet/loner
Where do you live? In certain areas of the country being an introvert is a liability while in other places it won't be that much of an issue.

I'm in introvert, mostly a ISTJ type and I don't like over bearing and aggressive people either. I'm originally from Connecticut. It is less of a problem being an introvert in New England than other regions such as the Midwest. In New England, people mostly have a couple of good friends and a few acquaintances are not all that concerned with being popular and having a lot of fair weather friends. People are busy with their families, work and from time to time have time for socializing with their friends.

I have a few friends and when I have a chance to be with them I hit the road. Currently living in the Midwest and being an introvert is more of a problem here. Since I don't need or want a lot of friends I just do my best to avoid people that try to force their way into my life agains my wishes. Mostly overly aggressive women that don't interest me. We have nothing in common and they are the type that will try to make me wear a dress in the relationship. LOL No thanks. I just stick with my family and friends the rest of the world, I don't need in my life. They only serve to create misery and problems for me. Sounds like the same deal for you.

Try moving to an area or state that is comprised of more reserved people. Or perhaps a change in jobs will help. Unfortunately I have to deal with the public on a daily basis and while my interpersonal skills and customer services skills are fine, I don't get too chatty with people and it rubs a lot of them the wrong way at least in the Midwest. In New England nobody gave a damn. It was also less of an issue in Minnesota vs. where I am at present, the Kansas City region. I'm moving to Kentucky soon and the attitude of the people there is definitely a little more like New England and I suspect I won't have so many people getting into my life where they don't belong.

I should add that I would not worry too much about what people with diseased minds think. Just try to ignore them. Bullies will create problems but most people will likely respect your wish to be alone when you need it. I don't care too much about what they think but when they voice their twisted views of what they think I am it only proves that my initial impression of trying to avoid having contact with them is spot on. :-) Great way to weed out the good from the bad in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 06:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Why does one HAVE to participate in Groups exactly?
You don't have to, but don't be surprised when you are treated coldly as an outsider. Natural human reaction. Your call.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:36 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You don't have to, but don't be surprised when you are treated coldly as an outsider. Natural human reaction. Your call.
That goes back to my original point

Old 10-22-2016, 06:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
All the OP does on here is rant about evil employers and how he's unfairly treated and not given a fair shake. If there is any ostracism, I think it's due much more to his bitter attitude, resentment, and negativity and not because of any real social stigma.

I'm an introvert and a loner at heart but I don't shy away from social interactions nor treat it as something distasteful. I was laid off a few months ago and just now had two competing offers for my services so I think I know a thing or two.
I'm not familiar with his other threads.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:13 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times
I think the reason is that introverts are outnumbered by extroverts. So introverts being in the minority are looked upon as different.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:27 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
That goes back to my original point
No, it really doesn't.

There is a difference between being an introvert and being a recluse with no social skills.

Get to know your coworkers. You might find that you like a couple of them. You don't have to be best friends or go drinking every Tuesday. Just say hi, talk a bit about your hobbies, learn a bit about theirs. Tell a short story about your last vacation and smile appreciatively when your coworkers reciprocate.

It will take no more than 5 minutes a day.

Isn't 5 minutes a day and a bit of social effort a worthwhile investment in your career?

Old 10-22-2016, 07:35 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I never worked in a job where I was expected to socialize or "hang out" with co-workers after hours. Work isn't high school. It seems the places you're working the co-workers don't have much of a life outside the workplace. Everywhere I've worked we greeted one another, went about our jobs, and clocked out and left for the day.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
because you CHOOSE to join that group called a COMPANY. That is why you have to participate.

You didn't think a company was an island of your single self did you? Know why even if two people with average "productivity" does better than 1 person with slightly better productivity on one item? Because 1 person can't be in two places. That's why you need social skills, to get things down. It doesn't matter if it "distracts" you, you will always get more down as a team than you would alone. Sure you might finish "your" assignment, but this isn't college, the assignment isn't homework. You can't turn it in and call it a day. Each assignment is only one piece of a larger project.

Participate or get out, and be your own man and find your own income without relying on someone else to pay it. But even then, you won't find much income/customers with poor social skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
introverts can be well adapted to actually socializing with people.
You seem to believe introverts don't have social skills.
what? You even qouted me saying introverts could have good social skills. Truncated out the extra

Last edited by MLSFan; 10-22-2016 at 08:13 PM..

Old 10-22-2016, 08:03 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Go into the IT field or engineering, the majority of the workforce is more introverted which is great. A lot less workplace drama, more flexible work schedules (remote work), etc. The US, on the whole, is indeed better for extroverts. Many European countries tend to have more prevailing introverted personality types by comparison.
I would not agree with that Europeans tend to be more private with regard to public exposure, but within their families and workgroups, they don't display any kind of "national" introversion. I haven't seen anything to indicate that a given European is any more or less likely to be a "self-recharger" or "group-recharger."

Old 10-22-2016, 08:09 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:

An introvert is merely a person who is satisfied with his own company.

That will often lead to a taste for solitary pleasures, like writing, stamp collecting, and coding.

But even those introverts can easily socialize with groups of other writers, stamp collectors, and coders for a while...then go happily back to their solitary pleasures.

I don't know what picture enters your mind with the phrase "participate in groups," but a person who cannot be cordial with anyone else is a person nobody will trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment