Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 10:22 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
We can't carry our vacation over. At your manager's discretion, you could possibly carry a couple of days over for a month or so, but it is not encouraged. So, yes, I use mine. I do tend to use more during the second half of the year, however and I usually save about a week for Christmas - NY, that way if an unplanned emergency did come up during the year, I have some days on the books that haven't been taken yet.
I wonder where these people work where they have all this rolled over time. At most of my former jobs, you can roll over as much sick time as you want and if you left, you'd get paid for it. You can't roll over 1 vacation day. Once you hit the limit (it was different at each job), you weren't given any more until you used them. You wouldn't get paid for them if you left/retired. At one of my former jobs they wouldn't even roll over sick time or pay for it if you left/retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 10:31 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I wonder where these people work where they have all this rolled over time. At most of my former jobs, you can roll over as much sick time as you want and if you left, you'd get paid for it. You can't roll over 1 vacation day. Once you hit the limit (it was different at each job), you weren't given any more until you used them. You wouldn't get paid for them if you left/retired. At one of my former jobs they wouldn't even roll over sick time or pay for it if you left/retired.
I work at a college/university. We can roll over unlimited sick leave, and several hundred hours of vacation. We do not have a annual cash-out option, but can cash-out upon retirement.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Local government. We have a max we can accrue.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:56 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
I wonder where these people work where they have all this rolled over time.
Hospital system

Old 11-05-2016, 11:10 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing.

A close relative was the local manager/director of a very large, national family run company. IMHO, their vacation policy was pretty skimpy. Something like five days of vacation each year, after one year of work, and ten days of vacation, after five or eight years of work. The maximum was fifteen days of vacation, after something like fifteen years of work. The head of the company would say things like "If the company can get by without you for more than three weeks, we can 'get by without you' permanently."

He worked there for over 30 years and, yes, only had fifteen days of vacation each year even at the end. It could not be saved or rolled over so that you could take a longer vacation the next year. They did not have a set number of sick days (you could be out if you were actually sick, but you could not carry any days over for future times when you were sick.)

The sons are now running the company and have the same policy.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:07 PM

406 posts, read 559,627 times
I don't need to use sick or vacation time to do normal errands (doctor, dentist, car in shop) and can work remotely when I travel, so I hardly ever have a need to use the time. I usually take a month long trip to my home-town around winter time and would only use two days vacation for travel days.

I've been at my current job almost 3 years now and currently have 12 weeks vacation and 8 weeks sick banked up.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:43 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Same here I can't carry mine over or cash them out. Neither can my husband. He used to be able to carry them over or cash them out. I loved the cash out option. He gets 4 weeks every year, so it was nice to take a week or two in cash! Now if he doesn't take it, he loses it. Same with me!
Yeah, my company feels that the vacation time is there for a reason. Taking personal time makes for better employees overall. They don't want people to be burned out and stressed, no one wins in that case. Sure, being able to cash out some days is a great concept, but the job of PTO is to allow staff to have personal lives, not more cash in their pocket.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:55 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Quote:
I don't know. I've never worked for a company that allows the carryover.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:40 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
The head of the company would say things like "If the company can get by without you for more than three weeks, we can 'get by without you' permanently."
well yeah... but he still needs someone there to do the work eventually. Might as well be someone who knows the system already. It takes longer than 3 weeks to hire and train someone... remind him of that

Old 11-05-2016, 04:11 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I have 70 days saved back....I get 20 a year...I use a few more now than I used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment