Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:23 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Where's the incentive to work in this service wage economy or for these lousy companies offering peanut wages for worker exploitation ? At the end the day most people are better off sitting home getting government entitlements as opposed to driving to some hellhole for a lousy wage or getting various part time jobs

Create incentives and opportunities people become motivated. Offer insulting wages for ridiculous qualification/educational requirements these companies get what they deserve. disengagement at most companies are at historical lows as are turnover rates

Companies have done this to themselves and then they wonder why they can't keep people or find a motivated workforce. Hmmmm I wonder why
I;m motivated by the major incentive called "ongoing employment". Of course I would love to make more money but a stable job that gives cola raises and incentives at the end of the year is not too bad a deal in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 08:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Pay isn't enough, I've worked at places that pay a lot to retain workers because there is so much dysfunction there.

I've been saying this over and over, managers are the face of the company. Don't let a few bad managers reign across the firm and destroy the environment.

If certain managers have high turn-overs, it's a sign the manager needs to be demoted or sent packing. Each fire & hire at certain positions cost more money than a productive worker's annual pay.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:55 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Going off of my own personal observations, and experiences, and talking with people in higher up in some companies it seems that they are often desperate to get people, and they hire a bunch of people, train them, and a day or two into the job, and they fall off the face of the earth. I get it these jobs aren't the most glamours, but why not stick with it for a little while?
They're leaving after one or two days? That's very unusual, actually. Maybe the employers are so desperate to get people that they're misrepresenting the job or expecting the employees to do more work than they can as newbies. Or the boss is a jerk, or they got a better job.

Set up an anonymous exit survey (I think you can do this in Google docs) and ask people why they left. Check out any comments on Glassdoor.com, too. The employees will tell you the answer if you ask them.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:22 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
Going off of my own personal observations, and experiences, there are no jobs. Companies refuse to train. Companies require 40 years of experience for a 7/hr. entry level job.
to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As a whole, Americans have become a horrible workforce.

Many think they are worth much more than they are. They get upset and start whining and complaining if they don't get the wages they feel they deserve even though nothing in their simple education and experience suggest they are worth it. H1B and H2B visa holders know their value and are willing to work their value.

Many also want to limit their work to only what they feel they should be doing. They find all sorts of reasons in invoke the "not my duties", "not my job" or "not in my job description" excuse to be a lazy worker. You don't see illegal immigrants pulling this nonsense. No they ask what else can they do? They want to prove they are worth the money and they want to prove they absolutely deserve more (and we give it to them).

And of course, many workers go to work for all the wrong reasons and when they realize they have to be an adult, they show their immaturity and just walk away.

Unfortunately, most americanized workers simply want to step out of their education and be the CEO. So, the second they have to face the harsh reality that they are just another ditch digger in the big picture, they run away.
I've got 35 years and to be honest, I'd say management expectations vs what they are willing to pay are out of line. My job for example. I've looked back at what my org paid in 1980. Adjusted for inflation, my job pays 20% less today than it did for the same job in 1980. If that's typical, think of what our economy would be like if it we were paid the same as then.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 866 times
Oftentimes, training is insufficient for new hires. They are forced to learn things on their own and that can be overwhelming. I think an employee should be trained until he or she gains the confidence to perform the job efficiently.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:06 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Many jobs are paying less now than what they were paying 20+ years ago adjusted for inflation.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:45 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Many jobs are paying less now than what they were paying 20+ years ago adjusted for inflation.
true, and I am proof of that.

Took an entry level job, despite my 25 years on skilled labor...office (business) , and Medical (healthcare)...
and reviewed my stored income taxes. I am making today hourly what I made back in 1989! what a slap in the face that is to someone that contributed to making business's expand for 30 some odd years.

Do I want to work? Yes. I enjoy helping folks...or applying skills to further ease others in daily tasks. That isn't the same as the goal of working to "pay a bill"....

I'd rather build people up to succeed then watch them wither away ....But like most things that grow...a bit of fertilizer is around ....

Old 11-16-2016, 11:55 PM

245 posts, read 382,520 times
Well speaking from experience I just quit a job yesterday only worked a full day there. Well why did I quit the job? I think I realized the job was just another dead end job. I acquired the job through a temp agency. I should of known better because most of the companies that utilize temp agencies suck.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:57 AM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times
Work is feeling increasingly pointless to Americans. There is no point in working and saving money when all your savings can be wiped away by the prison-industrial complex, the marriage-industrial complex, the medical-industrial complex, etc. Or when you can get the government to keep lending you money to get another college degree. Remember that the homeless guy who is drunk on a $12 fifth of Monarch 100 proof has a much simpler and happy life than you do.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:23 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
Going off of my own personal observations, and experiences, and talking with people in higher up in some companies it seems that they are often desperate to get people, and they hire a bunch of people, train them, and a day or two into the job, and they fall off the face of the earth. I get it these jobs aren't the most glamours, but why not stick with it for a little while?
What types of jobs are these? And people are lazy all around. I've dealt with flaky management many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment