Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 02:22 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I think .. I hope .. that America IS going to see an upswing in manufacturing (and good manufacturing job wages) in the next few years under this new President-elect. I believe that is his intent - to make America able to sustain itself at some level again and not be so beholden to other countries where wages and conditions are even lower than ours have sunk to. I hope there is a brighter future for many Americans because of the difference in this man's outlook from that of several previous administrations.
I sincerely hope so as well. Poor wages lead to poor quality. Crap in, crap out, all day long. We need to restore pride in workmanship, and pride in one's job, whatever they may be. You can't reasonably expect someone to give a damn if they do not have the means to support themselves outside of the workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 04:14 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
The answer is to obtain additional education.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:17 PM

1,180 posts, read 778,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Despicable. I just have a HS diploma and some companies are paying people like me over 20 bucks an hour to sit in front of machines and do dummy work. I feel kinda silly actually learning a skilled trade, when many employers expect to pay you even less to do skilled work!

FWIW, the company I work at starts everyone out at least at 18 bucks an hour, regardless of experience. They also provide excellent incentive bonuses as a means of retaining high quality, highly productive workers. Many others are changing their ways due to the shortage of competent and dependable labor. Companies have to act smarter, otherwise they will be done away with.
They got any places in or close to Boston, MA?

Old 12-03-2016, 06:47 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
not if companies demand it and refuse to pay any more for it in the case with chemistry. Don't invest in something without any ROI.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:28 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
And a large amount of debt to join a pool of millions of people with degrees that are working in retail and fast food. Everyone has a degree these days it does not guarantee anything but debt.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:42 PM

676 posts, read 725,996 times
Factories in the detroit suburbs paying unskilled ppl $15/hr is certainly not the norm. take that from someone who has worked in over 30 places. $12/hr is more like it especially at a non union shop. If your lucky you might find a shop to teach you a skill but you will most likely have to find a new job to get paid better as most shops don't like to give appropriate raises.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:08 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
Factories in the detroit suburbs paying unskilled ppl $15/hr is certainly not the norm. take that from someone who has worked in over 30 places. $12/hr is more like it especially at a non union shop. If your lucky you might find a shop to teach you a skill but you will most likely have to find a new job to get paid better as most shops don't like to give appropriate raises.
$12/hr is the norm at crap shacks dying the slow death. Anyone foolish enough to surround themselves with the idiocy that goes on in those places will only be held down.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:49 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
I'm not sure where you're seeing all these decent paying factory jobs... I'm in the rust belt and they're certainly not here. That's why it's called the rust belt. When I look just for kicks at different jobs within 300 miles of me most of the factory jobs I see are sweat shop assembly jobs that pay like 10 bucks an hour and on top of that they want experience, lol. Hell I'd rather work at Wal-Mart if I had to choose between the two. I think you're talking about the right-to-work southern states that's where most of the better paying manufacturing that are left in the US went.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 12-03-2016 at 09:57 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 10:13 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I sincerely hope so as well. Poor wages lead to poor quality. Crap in, crap out, all day long. We need to restore pride in workmanship, and pride in one's job, whatever they may be. You can't reasonably expect someone to give a damn if they do not have the means to support themselves outside of the workplace.
Yep well said.. Problem is they care more about their pocket books than providing a decent wage. I always belive in pay what you get. so if you pay me 7 bucks a hour knowing the skill set and the work is worth 16, than im going to not give a damn about the quality of the product. I have a motto and it serves me well, pay me trash, your going to get trash, pay me well, than you get quality product and work. If i cant afford the food or the item i am making for you, than your not paying me enough.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
And a large amount of debt to join a pool of millions of people with degrees that are working in retail and fast food. Everyone has a degree these days it does not guarantee anything but debt.
Stop perpetuating that myth. Education does not automatically come with debt. Exhaust all free grants and then get a job and pay cash. It may take longer, but no debt. Debt is always a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment