Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 AM

841 posts, read 1,918,020 times

Advertisements

People who don't even live in your area but say there are tons of jobs there.

Hello, just because you see posts for jobs or read on Yahoo that so and so is a great area it doesn't mean anything.

I am sick of hearing how my area has TONS of jobs. Even the insane guy at Unemployment tried to convince my husband how many jobs are here (not) then he went on to confess how he was unemployed himself for 2 years.

Just because Indeed has a bunch of stuff listed doesn't mean a darn thing.

1) agencies just post anything to get you in and lie
2) companies are collecting resumes
3) these jobs do not always exist.

Sorry, just have to vent.

It's the same when people say there are tons of X jobs.

Do you do this type of work? Have you a clue how many of X jobs require various certifications/specific certifications? For example, if you are a teacher, you have to be certified in a certain area with a current license for that state to teach long term.

Saying there are a ton of teaching jobs is bogus. Maybe a ton of something you have to have SPECIFIC skills in.

Ugh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,132 times
I often wondered where these jobs are that agencies post, and when you call they tell you, "It's been filled".

OHK! More like, "it never existed, but it got you to call, didn't it"?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM

130 posts, read 253,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I often wondered where these jobs are that agencies post, and when you call they tell you, "It's been filled".

OHK! More like, "it never existed, but it got you to call, didn't it"?
Or when you find out, sure we have a position, but its contract pay, and we will pay you $8.25 or $7.25 an hour, plus a bonus. Yet, its going to cost you tons in gas , and get weird hours plus you have to pay taxes <_< on your pay, making your net pay below min wage.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:22 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Or what about when some people throw out that there are jobs out there, but they don't follow that claim up by giving you the name of the company, the position, or the hiring manager's name? Anybody can say that there are jobs out there. But actually telling someone a company name and the positions available seems to slip their mind.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,161,132 times
Agencies should be paying you MORE because you're willing to accept a short-term position with zero benefits, and have to travel/pay tolls to get there, but no- they get the big paycheck, and we get offered 12.00 an hour. What a joke !

They assume because the economy is the way it is, and so many are unemployed, we're desperate ! At 12.00 an hour, we can make more on unemployment. At least in NJ you can. The max is $500+ a week ... Last I checked, it was $575.00 a week. That's more than 12.00 an hour !

Sorry, I would stay on unemployment unless I am offered a livable and fair salary.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Agencies should be paying you MORE because you're willing to accept a short-term position with zero benefits, and have to travel/pay tolls to get there, but no- they get the big paycheck, and we get offered 12.00 an hour. What a joke !

They assume because the economy is the way it is, and so many are unemployed, we're desperate ! At 12.00 an hour, we can make more on unemployment. At least in NJ you can. The max is $500+ a week ... Last I checked, it was $575.00 a week. That's more than 12.00 an hour !

Sorry, I would stay on unemployment unless I am offered a livable and fair salary.
That's how I feel unless the job was in walking distance or 10 mins away from home on public transportation then I would take the $12 without hesitation.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,848,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
Just because Indeed has a bunch of stuff listed doesn't mean a darn thing.
Very very true. The fake job ads and resume collectors are becoming a major problem. Also, even legitimate companies will post tons of openings that they have no intention of filling any time soon. Many companies say they "Have a hard time finding people" but then you find out they interviewed 30 people and the only person who wasn't under-qualified according to their absurdly extensive requirements list was low-balled so badly that they laughed in the HR person's face.

Quote:
Hello, just because you see posts for jobs or read on Yahoo that so and so is a great area it doesn't mean anything.
I stopped treating Yahoo as any form of legitimate news as soon as they started pushing the "Celebrity A wore something similar to Celebrity B!" stories and chose to continue publishing Chris Chase "articles".

Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 AM

130 posts, read 253,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
That's how I feel unless the job was in walking distance or 10 mins away from home on public transportation then I would take the $12 without hesitation.
Yeah, and how they always advertise it as "temp to hire"...deal.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Oh, yes, this is infuriating!

1) "Indeed" does not reflect reality: First, as anyone who's been unemployed for any length of time knows, just because a job is posted doesn't mean it actually exists. Indeed is far worse than average in this regard since it just collects job listings from everywhere and tosses them together, resulting in many duplicate entries. A year or so back, I calculated that the number of unique job openings on Indeed is about 1/10 the total number listed - yes, each job was duplicated about 10 times?! So, telling me that "Indeed says there are 1,000 jobs in your area" really means that there are about 100 jobs posted in my area, and believe me, most of those postings are worthless.

2) Laughable temp agencies: I get emails from these guys all the time about "great opportunies" that are always missing key information (the company, the pay, the job classification - permanent, temporary, etc.); now and then, they'll even call me with extremely vague "jobs" and when I ask for information, such as where the job is actually located (a state or region is not enough), they get offended?! Gee, why would I want to know where I'm going to work? Unreal... the reality, as mentioned earlier, is that no such job exists and they just want my information to add to their databases.

I also get a laugh out of how these guys have no understanding of economics. No, I'm not going to commute 100+ miles a day for a 3 to 6 month temp job that pays horribly. No, I'm not going to move to some totally different area for a 3 to 6 month temp job - that would just ensure that I end up unemployed and homeless in a place where I have no friends or family. One of these goofballs even suggested, "Well, you could live in a hotel for the 6 month contract" Right... but they wouldn't cover the cost of that, so what am I supposed to do? Pay for a hotel room AND my apartment for 6 months, or just give up my apartment and become homeless all for the chance to work their crummy temp job? Makes me wonder why I even got an engineering degree - Wal-mart greeters are treated with more respect these days.

3) Joke "jobs" that are never filled: We've all seen plenty of these - the postings on the major job boards that float around year after year, or the ones on the company websites that are never filled, and despite the fact that we meet the job requirements and applied, we're never contacted about it. Right... but "company XYZ is hiring" - no, they are not... or if they are, they are hiring beer buddies and golfing partners via "networking" and the online application system is a joke designed to keep things legal so they can claim "oh, well we accept applications from everyone" even though they only hire friends and relatives.

Summary: If we only counted the real jobs out there - the ones where a company actually intended to hire a qualified candidate as soon as they could - I suspect we can rule out 90% of the "job" postings that are found online. Folks who have not experienced this horrific job market do not understand this new reality. There are no jobs.

Last edited by Rambler123; 05-24-2012 at 10:09 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 10:05 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Oh, yes, this is infuriating!

1) Indeed does not reflect reality: First, as anyone who's been unemployed for any length of time knows, just because a job is posted doesn't mean it actually exists. Indeed is far worse than average in this regard since it just collects job listings from everywhere and tosses them together, resulting in many duplicate entries. A year or so back, I calculated that the number of unique job openings on Indeed is about 1/10 the total number listed - yes, each job was duplicated about 10 times?! So, telling me that "Indeed says there are 1,000 jobs in your area" really means that there are about 100 jobs posted in my area, and believe me, most of those postings are worthless.

2) Laughable temp agencies: I get emails from these guys all the time about "great opportunies" that are always missing key information (the company, the pay, the job classification - permanent, temporary, etc.); now and then, they'll even call me with extremely vague "jobs" and when I ask for information, such as where the job is actually located (a state or region is not enough), they get offended?! Gee, why would I want to know where I'm going to work? Unreal... the reality, as mentioned earlier, is that no such job exists and they just want my information to add to their databases.

I also get a laugh out of how these guys have no understanding of economics. No, I'm not going to commute 100+ miles a day for a 3 to 6 month temp job that pays horribly. No, I'm not going to move to some totally different area for a 3 to 6 month temp job - that would just ensure that I end up unemployed and homeless in a place where I have no friends or family. One of these goofballs even suggsted, "Well, you could live in a hotel for the 6 month contract" Right... but they wouldn't cover the cost of that, so what am I supposed to do? Pay for a hotel room AND my apartment for 6 months, or just give up my apartment and become homeless all for the chance to work their crummy temp job? Makes me wonder why I even got an engineering degree - Wal-mart greeters are treated with more respect these days.

3) Joke "jobs" that are never filled: We've all seen plenty of these - the postings on the major job boards that float around year after year, or the ones on the company websites that are never filled, and despite the fact that we meet the job requirements and applied, we're never contacted about it. Right... but "company XYZ is hiring" - no, they are not... or if they are, they are hiring beer buddies and golfing partners via "networking" and the online application system is a joke decided to keep things legal so they can claim "oh, well we accept applications from everyone" even though they only hire friends and relatives.

Summary: If we only counted the real jobs out there - the ones where a company actually intended to hire a qualified candidate as soon as they could - I suspect we can rule out 90% of the "job" postings that are found online. Folks who have not experienced this horrific job market do not understand this new reality. There are no jobs.

I stopped using Indeed 2 months because the site is a joke. whatever job they email you was posted 2 days ago which means if the job was posted on a friday, I won't know about it until the following Tuesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment