Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:14 PM

876 posts, read 814,130 times

Advertisements

Staffing companies are just filling a need. Hiring and training people is expensive, and there are projects that need short term and temporary workers.

Even though the worker doesn't get benefits and usually make half or less what the company is being charged by the agency, it can be a good job between jobs.

If someone wants to cut out the middleman and become an independent contractor, they can charge whatever the market will bear for their services. But that entails building a reputation and client base which isn't easy.

In the end I think the system ends up benefiting all parties involved. Working temp jobs is a great way to get experience and contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:17 PM

7,651 posts, read 4,606,610 times
If you have fewer temps, you'll have a rise in outsourcing service providers.

Temp agencies are great for people with projects that their current staff can't handle but without the budget or means to get a new hire. Plus, if you get someone you like, in a couple years when the same situation comes up, you can call that person and see if they can contract direct.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:56 PM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
What if temp and staffing agencies dissolved or became a thing of the past? Would the market be better or worse for it?

worst because

1. It would be even harder to find a job because most employers prefer referrals

2. Unemployment would increase since UC is only 6 months

Temp agencies is the link to several employers today and it's how many people find jobs.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Temping is for the dogs. It's a bad industry and going downhill all the time in terms of pay. I'm glad I can do something else and don't need to temp or rely on these agencies.
It's necessary for people receiving UC don't who don't find a job in six months.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:54 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
Middle men don't go away. They multiply, and survive only if it is cheaper for companies to outsource these functions.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:01 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
It would be very beneficial for my profession. They are so abused by companies that they have hollowed out the profession as it is getting tough to find competent experienced analytical chemists. A lot of other countries regulate how long companies can employ temps so the can't pull the permatemp nonsense that a lot of companies here pull.

Temp agencies provide no benefit to the worker. They are a liability shield for employers to shift all employer liabilities to an agency including unemployment and workers comp. They can create a second class work force they can treat much worse. They can play accounting games declaring temps a variable business expense rather than headcount, they shift the cost of recruiting from the employer to the employee (the recruiter gets paid by the margin and reduced pay and benefits the temp makes)... They are an unwelcome middleman that parasitizes workers.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:04 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
This is what they are all about. They are basically pimps.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
It would be very beneficial for my profession. They are so abused by companies that they have hollowed out the profession as it is getting tough to find competent experienced analytical chemists. A lot of other countries regulate how long companies can employ temps so the can't pull the permatemp nonsense that a lot of companies here pull.

Temp agencies provide no benefit to the worker. They are a liability shield for employers to shift all employer liabilities to an agency including unemployment and workers comp. They can create a second class work force they can treat much worse. They can play accounting games declaring temps a variable business expense rather than headcount, they shift the cost of recruiting from the employer to the employee (the recruiter gets paid by the margin and reduced pay and benefits the temp makes)... They are an unwelcome middleman that parasitizes workers.
Temp agencies are necessary when people run out of their unemployment compensation.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:48 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
Quote:
Horsepuckey. Some companies might do that, but you can't paint all of them with the same brush.

At my last job, we were a heavy user of temps...in fact, that was how *I* got started there- I was a temp who was smart and capable and willing to work my butt off to get ahead. No one promised me a permanent job there, but I worked hard enough and showed that I was worth being hired direct. Many temp workers simply don't have the motivation or brains to get a job any other way and that's the only way they are going to keep working. Better that, than having them on welfare.

Temps were necessary in that industry- the amount of work was variable, with peaks and drops, it was simply not feasible to maintain a constant staff of permanent employees. We *had* to be able to call a staffing agency and say "Send me 10 people tomorrow", or "I need 3 more people as soon as you can get them here".

Old 12-17-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
This is what they are all about. They are basically pimps.

They still need to exist now that unemployment is only six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment