Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 10:53 AM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I'd actually agree with you. The value of a temp, like a prostitute, is that we make the client happy and then go away. There's no marriage, no commitment like with a full time employee.

I charge by the hour, more than what I'd get as a full time employee, but cost the employer less than if they had to hire a full time employee.

So what should people do if they don't find a job in 6 months and their unemployment runs out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 10:55 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,288 times
My "temp agency" is the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.

We have good minimum wages, good benefits, a say in working conditions, and job security.

Our contractors can lay off one week, and put a call in to the hall in the next week to man a job and have a pretty good idea of the quality of workers they're getting. They can even put calls in looking for specific skills.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:15 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
The IBEW does a fantastic job training and placing their members.

Not all temp agencies are great but many do an excellent job finding work for many who just want short term employment.

Other positions are great opportunities for employers and potential permanent employees to get a look at each other. Often a temp will work in one department, form relationships outside that department so that when a permanent opening occurs they have better odds at being hired.

Anyone who accepts a short term assignment when they want a potential 'temp to perm assignment' needs to keep their resume fresh and keep looking.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
One of the purpose of staffing agencies is so that companies don't end up with rampant nepotism and cronyism.

My parents used to tell me that cronyism & nepotism is pretty rampant problem at many companies with their own internal HR filtering hires. People would ask for favors to get their son or grand son a job but to the detriment of the workplace because no verification of qualification was done.

I admit as a manager in the past that I've given a job to a friend who was unqualified. It burned me for sure as people started to question my authority.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:54 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
There are several large corporations that pull the permatemp crap near myself. It makes no difference if you work your @ss off or do the bare minimum. They will not hire anyone directly. They will use you as long as they can and when you finally wise up and quit or are no longer able to (get sick, old, family emergency) they will move on to the next sucker. Of course they will always tell you they may hire you to carrot and
Manpower used to be for Abbott labs...
From what I hear, Abbott treats theirs very well. Temps are always willing to go back. Can't say that about other clients. Can I mention specific firms on this forum?

Old 12-17-2016, 01:57 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Pepsi OTOH treats them like crap. There are signs all over the place Pepsi employee's only, this event is for Pepsi employees only, kicking them out of parties, meetings, etc.

If you were actively trying to disengage and demoralize your workforce you couldn't do much better. Poorchemist had a similar story with Georgia Pacific, and most others I know feel the same. These agencies are used as a vehicle to treat workers like crap, deny them benefits, and generally act like a sleaze.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:17 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
From what I hear, Abbott treats theirs very well. Temps are always willing to go back. Can't say that about other clients. Can I mention specific firms on this forum?
Abbot Labs can't be THAT good, if they were in the news lately for H1B abuse.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Pepsi OTOH treats them like crap. There are signs all over the place Pepsi employee's only, this event is for Pepsi employees only, kicking them out of parties, meetings, etc.

If you were actively trying to disengage and demoralize your workforce you couldn't do much better. Poorchemist had a similar story with Georgia Pacific, and most others I know feel the same. These agencies are used as a vehicle to treat workers like crap, deny them benefits, and generally act like a sleaze.
I'll remember that if I, or anyone I know well, gets called for an assignment there.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:30 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Abbot Labs can't be THAT good, if they were in the news lately for H1B abuse.
No I doubt Abbott Labs/Abbvie is any good. Every time they have a layoff I start getting calls and email from indian recruiters about great contract opportunities with "our client in Lake County Illinois."

Old 12-17-2016, 04:36 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
It would be worse. You'd be surprised how many people are employed with a temp agency. They provide a valuable service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment