Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 03:29 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Ok, I just counted how many paid days you give and this doesn't include any additional PTO you give like vacation or sick time etc.

The grand tally is you give 47 paid days off per year. The average business gives about 10 or less.

How in the world does your company stay in business OP?
The average employee gets 75 - 80 paid days off per year. That leaves them about 285 days to do their job, or almost 7,000 hours. Most employers who give their employees 30 paid days off really ends up with only about 230 work days or about 5,500 hours to do their job. I think I'm ahead of the game.

My method is to eliminate all the BS of employment. Each employee is their own supervisor and manager. they live or die by their work. They have nobody but themselves to blame for failure. They have themselves to praise for success. I have no supervisory or managerial payroll. The Directors set policy for their area and work among the other Directors to ensure a smooth transition of work and needs between their specific area.

We don't have time clocks!

My employees are consistently at the very top of the pay scale for their work and set the high bar for this industry. They have superb benefits. They are given the autonomy and authority to make critical decisions about their assignment. They instinctively work with all other employees to ensure everyone is accomplishing the end goals. I openly discuss issues with the employees and solicit their input.

In return I only demand perfection from them and they deliver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
OP, when do your employees work? Do you have ANY turnover at all?
Turnover is virtually non-existent. If an employee last beyond their probationary period, retention is above 95%. When they leave it's usually because they have been hired into an executive position with a company or recruited into government. We have had a receptionist who left to follow her husband to an embassy in Europe and one of our staff who writes instructional videos scripts was hired by Universal in CA. Otherwise, only the contract employees will sooner or later depart when their work is completed, and the interns or special hires (developmentally challenged) who are temp.

My employees are well aware that advancement opportunities within the company really doesn't exist. If they have an opportunity to advance their professional career outside the company, I'll help them achieve that goal. However, my employees are not average drone worker, they are way smart enough to know that the greener grass is just spray paint on dead weeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 03:37 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
First, although I and only I make the final decision as to what day I will give my employees off and if it will be with pay, I don't come up with these days in a vacuum. I accept feedback from the staff as to what days they would like to have off. Some are based on the ability to create three day weekends, so a mid week election day or a friday party day, guess which one they pick. Just because people have been trained like pet monkeys in a cage to have certain days off, doesn't mean when the cage is open they will still want those same thing.

Now, as for all the weeks periods they are off, it's a very simple and easy explanation. Those are the historical slowest and almost comatose times in our industry. Many of our clients are focusing on other issues, working with reduce staff, or just taking a break from continuation of the project. Sure I can keep my employees busy doing busy work for the sake of doing something, or I can build into my bids the cost of giving them all that time off and not have to deal with time off request, reduced staffing, coverage for this and that, the sudden illnesses people get, and my employees standing around because the project site or the client or the vendors or the contractors are all slow or not working or wishing they were at the store or beach. No, just close the office, pay the employees and have one happy work force. They are not like all the other minions fighting for time to do things and having to rush this and that to meet some set day off. It's not coming out of my pocket and it's not taking anything from their pocket, Win - Win. I'm sure my staff would disagree that they would rather exchange weeks of time off for a couple day here and there just because that is what they have been trained are the only legitimate day to take off. Have you ever spent the whole day getting ready for and attending a King K Day celebration? It;s fun, try it.

As for what trumps Valentine's Day; if you see the faces of the staff when they come back from having that whole day off, the smiles and swagger says it all. It's a small price to to give something that should be an important day. The heck with President's Day, bring on Valentines Day or Cinco de Mayo. You may also have noticed that I don't have any religious days off. The employees believe that religion is a personal belief and if some holiday is so darn important they need it off to prove they are faithful, use your own vacation days.

Holidays and days off shouldn't be regimented, it should be something fun and special. Now the five Directors (we have no supervisors or managers) may not feel the same because guess who has to work while all the other staff is off!
By default, you have Christmas Eve and Christmas off. Yes, you do have two religious holidays off.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:39 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
If I were still working, I would get 5 weeks of vacation and 12 paid holidays.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Financial institution - we basically follow the Federal Reserve's holiday schedule. Which is the usual 10 holidays. Very similar to the Federal Holidays.

Not common - but not unheard of either. I've worked for two that did this (Biotech and IT).
TY. Except for two jobs, I never got the day after Thanksgiving off or the day after Christmas, unless it was a weekend.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:47 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
By default, you have Christmas Eve and Christmas off. Yes, you do have two religious holidays off.
They don't get Christmas off, they get a winter break so they can spend their bonuses on material things and go out partying, visit relatives, hit the shows and have a jolly old Santa Clause party. I'm not giving them the days because of some other holiday, they get that time off because there is so little work. If it was Columbus Day when everyone goes all ape sheets with celebrations and shopping to the point of projects closing up for the period, that would be the time they get off.

Unless a law demands I give them a specific day off, it's my decision for my reasons. If government says I must give them the day off, it's not me "Giving" them a religious holiday, I'm giving them a specific date the government requires them to be off; that's all.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, I just counted how many paid days you give and this doesn't include any additional PTO you give like vacation or sick time etc.

The grand tally is you give 47 paid days off per year. The average business gives about 10 or less.

Can imagine calling the day after Valentine explaining you needed the service the OP's business offered on Valentine's day but no one picked up? I wonder if OP tells POed clients "I'm romantic and my workers are really happy". I guess you're outta luck Valentine's day and basically the last two weeks of the year if you need their service.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:48 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
My employer gives 10 paid holidays per year. For 2017, they are:

Monday, Jan. 2: New Years Day (in lieu of Sunday, Jan. 1)
Monday, Feb. 20: Presidents Day
Monday, May 29: Memorial Day
Tuesday, July 4: 4th of July
Monday, Sept. 4: Labor Day
Thursday, Nov. 23: Thanksgiving
Friday, Nov. 24: Friday after Thanksgiving
Monday, Dec. 25: Christmas
Tuesday, Dec. 26: Floating Holiday
Wednesday, Dec. 27: Floating Holiday
Also, everybody is required to use 2 vacation days: for Thursday and Friday, Dec. 28 and 29.
Very fortunate. We lost all ours and sick and vac days....

Old 12-30-2016, 03:53 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:

At my company, including the 10 days, the people still getting the benefits of days off also get 10 days vac, 6 sick. 26 days total and they are a temp agency....

Old 12-30-2016, 04:27 PM

711 posts, read 688,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Can imagine calling the day after Valentine explaining you needed the service the OP's business offered on Valentine's day but no one picked up? I wonder if OP tells POed clients "I'm romantic and my workers are really happy". I guess you're outta luck Valentine's day and basically the last two weeks of the year if you need their service.
Without even knowing OPs business or industry, I'm going to take a guess here. OPs business is project driven. It happens on a VERY tight time frame and deadlines ARE met. Clients generally don't call because they don't have a need to outside the scope of the timeline of the project. And clients are checked in with before a compnay holiday closure to make sure everything seems OK. And - if a client does have a "hair on fire" emergency, there is no doubt they have a person or email contact to reach.

OP, I commend you. I'm not surprised you have such low turnover. I'm guessing you also have contractors that are very happy to come back whenever their particular skillset is needed. A toast to your continued success!
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 12-30-2016, 05:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The average employee gets 75 - 80 paid days off per year. That leaves them about 285 days to do their job, or almost 7,000 hours. Most employers who give their employees 30 paid days off really ends up with only about 230 work days or about 5,500 hours to do their job. I think I'm ahead of the game.
Your math is strange. Not wrong, but strange and a bit deceptive as a result.

Saying that employees get 75-80 paid days, leaving them with 285 days means that you are assuming 7 day workweeks.

Then you compare to 'other employers' getting only 230 days of work, with 30 paid days. True, but then you have to add in the additional 104 unpaid days, also known as weekends.

All that is true enough if you consider everybody to be FLSA exempt, but undet those same rules, standard employers who provide 30 days of PTO could expect their employees to work weekends as well.

You may very well be the most enlightened, progressive, high performance employer in this hemisphere, we really have no way of knowing. The way you present holiday pay is confusing at best.

As comparison, I am an exempt employee. I get 104 days off for weekends, 12 holidays, 24 vacation days, 3 personal days, and some sick days. In comparison to your employees, I get 143 days off to their 47.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment