Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:51 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times

Advertisements

To each their own. Some people are outgoing and like to share everything some don't. Have a little more acceptance OP your annoyance only affects you and makes you unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 5,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Your co-workers aren't the problem you are.
You are entitled to your opinion. I have no desire to be friends of my coworkers and I have no interest in their personal lives. Just there to work

Old 01-08-2017, 10:59 AM

75 posts, read 71,171 times
With so many horrible things happening in this world, I would LOVE to hear someone bubbling with happiness about their future. Just hearing her sheer joy and excitement would bring me joy!

Old 01-08-2017, 11:04 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
People just need to keep their damn private businesses to themselves. This is a serious workplace problem. Too much talk (95 percent of which is nothing work related) and no work getting done. We don't care about how much money you have, what you bought, how many businesses you have, you're great wedding, your upcoming kids. Go brag to your family or best friends . Not your co-workers. Get your arseee to work.

Cant stand listening to self involved, "Look at me, look at how special I am " people.

Where are the bosses keeping this nonsense to a minimum?

Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
People just need to keep their damn private businesses to themselves. This is a serious workplace problem. Too much talk (95 percent of which is nothing work related) and no work getting done. We don't care about how much money you have, what you bought, how many businesses you have, you're great wedding, your upcoming kids. Go brag to your family or best friends . Not your co-workers. Get your arseee to work.

Cant stand listening to self involved, "Look at me, look at how special I am " people.

Where are the bosses keeping this nonsense to a minimum?
I'm a supervisor. I hate the yapping about kids and weddings with a passion, but my hands are tied. If I tried to regulate the talk, I'd be seen as a dictator and get a bad reputation. Now if that talk affects their output and work, that would be different but there is only so much I can do about it.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:56 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,593,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenise12 View Post
A coworker recently returned from her destination wedding and honeymoon. She hasn't stopped talking about it since yesterday. And shes VERY loud so she can make sure EVERYONE can here her. So annoying.

I don't plan on asking her about it because I don't want to be forced to sit and listen like I give a toss.

Whats the best way to avoid conversations with these kinds of people?
Blatantly ignore and avoid them for a while.

Everyone goes overboard with discussing big events in their lives...a wedding, a honeymoon, the first kid, a new great job, a new dog, a new car....

They'll get the msg after a number of people start walking away while she's still talking about her honeymoon.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:27 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rouxgirl View Post
With so many horrible things happening in this world, I would LOVE to hear someone bubbling with happiness about their future. Just hearing her sheer joy and excitement would bring me joy!
Same here. Except some people can't stand to see someone else happy.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Someone picked the wrong city. It sounds very New Yawk like. Lots of cultures here tawk and tawk loudly about family and family events. You might be the wrong fit.

I can understand feeling annoyed if this went on and on in detail 3 or 4 weeks later, but on the first day back this upsets you? Sounds like you don't like your co-worker and may be feeling left out. Others in the office may have known her for a long time and might have attended her bridal shower or engagement party,long before you came to work at this office. They may know her family and her husband have heard about them previously. They may want to hear about it, at least for a day or two after she came back.

You sound bitter and jealous. Maybe because her wedding and honeymoon were more lavish than yours, she has a bigger family than you do and are close, she rubs you the wrong way because she is culturally different than you. When in Rome . .

There is a back story here that is left out in your post. If she is still running at the mouth 2 weeks from now, I sympathize, but during her first week back at work, no. you are in the wrong here. She's excited. Let her rejoice. IF it was a big affair, then there is more to talk about than a small quiet wedding event.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'd rather listen to a happy person talk about their wedding than someone spending the day at work recapping Game of Thrones for people who don't even watch it.
Or someone talking about their acrimonious divorce with a crazy soon-to-be ex.

We've got one of those going on right now.

One thing I've noticed about my working environment...I've already stated it is overwhelmingly majority south Asian...is that the south Asians by and large don't share personal information unless it's flattering, which I think is appropriate. However, they are also fairly curious and will ask questions that are considered a bit nosy by Texas standards.

The few Americans in the group, however, are big over-sharers. HEUEUEUEUEUGE. (They're mainly white or of east Asian extraction, evenly split between male and female ranging in age from 25 to about 60.) The oversharing soon-to-be-divorcee is American.

I try to keep my headphones on all day long.

Old 01-09-2017, 01:24 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
I wouldn'tind the chit chat. She's clearly happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment