Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:47 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times

Advertisements

If she talks to you, nod and that's it. If she gets the hint that you're not interested, then she'll stop. If she doesn't, then you can't do anything about it. You can't avoid all the annoying things your co-workers say and you can't make them stop.

I have a 62 year old co-worker who talks like a teenage brat. She whines, complains, sneers, and jeers every day about our customers, their questions, that they call too much, that they're ignorant, that they're stupid. It's aggravating, but what can you do? You can't tell her to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 11:53 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
It just sounds like she's happy now to be married. Let her know you are happy for her. Then if it keeps on, maybe you can relocate somewhere that you don't have to be around her anymore.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:14 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
You think this is a trial? Wait until her divorce!

Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Since yesterday!
OMG.

You seem to have no tolerance for what happens on other people's lives. This was a big event, and people talk about big events.
How long have you worked there?
You will be hearing a lot more about life events over the years.... get used to it.

Yep, glad I work in a place where we all get along and share each others' life experiences ! One girl just came back from Peru, and we all keep asking her about the trip. Another guy has an infant, and we can't wait to see updated pictures. One other guy has a wife who is 5 months pregnant, and we got to look at the first sonograms (sp?). They keep asking me how my latest car project is coming, and I ask them about their lives.

But, I have lived in places where people are not all that warm toward fellow coworkers (California) and work was not that pleasant. It isn't like we sit around all day shooting the breeze, but it only takes a few minutes to show someone you care and are interested in them as a person.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:09 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
I don't care about most things other people talk about. If I care about the person talking (and/or our relationship), I'll fake interest. If the conversation gets excessive I'll give brief, disinterested feedback until the other person gets it that I don't care. Sometimes I change the subject myself. Usually people can pick up on it when I don't want to continue talking about a particular subject. That being said I'm not typically bothered by such things. I'd much rather listen to someone at work go on and on about their own life than have that person ask me personal questions about my life.

I think coming back from one's wedding is an exceptional life experience. I would expect to put up with a little more forced conversation for a week or so.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:20 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
You know, getting married is a pretty big deal for most people, and often they want to express their happiness to the people around them. Yesterday was her first day back to work and you're complaining that she's still talking about it?

I'm thinking that she's not the problem in this situation.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 5,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You know, getting married is a pretty big deal for most people, and often they want to express their happiness to the people around them. Yesterday was her first day back to work and you're complaining that she's still talking about it?

I'm thinking that she's not the problem in this situation.
There isn't a problem. I just don't care. I got married a few years and didn't discuss it at work. I don't discuss my personal life at work. Period.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:36 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,259 times
Talk about how your newly divorced friend had to move back to the parents and is STILL paying on the destination wedding.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
This is one of the reasons I took a paycut to get out of a cubicle and into my own office. I am close to the restroom now, but I swear that the sound of distant flushes is actually easier to tolerate than some of the TMI issues people like to banter about out loud. Wedding stories are annoying, I admit, but they pale in comparison to some stories I have heard across the hallway

Old 01-06-2017, 03:28 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Since yesterday? Give it time. It will die down in a couple of days. Sounds like the wedding may be just a symptom of other issues you have with her.
Or other issues you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment