Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:59 AM

44 posts, read 94,919 times

Advertisements

I am currently working as an environmental consulting, which is the field I have been in since I graduated from school. It pays good money, and I do like it, but it's not a field that I really envision myself staying in for my entire career.

I was recently offered a position in the state government, which is a line of work I can see myself in for a very long term and possibly retiring in. However, this job will pay $10-15K less than my current job. I am still fairly young (under 30), so I'll have at least another 35 years in the work force, which is plenty of time to make more money.

I looked at the pros and cons of the two jobs, and here is what I came up with.

Pros for consulting: better pay
Pros for government: better work-life balance, more time off, more job security, more predictable schedule, pension available, cheaper health insurance

My question is: is it wise to follow the line of work that I would really love (as opposed to just liking), even if it means a significant pay cut? Or should I be content with where I am now, especially since it's not terrible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 07:03 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Without hesitation I would get a govt job.

- Far easier daily grind in the public sector
- Theres a limit to the abuse that management can do to you
- Normal work hours
- You will actually have more help to get projects done instead of operating on a short-staffed skeleton crew to where the slave owners expect you to do work miracle every day and defy the laws of physics
- Better retirement
- Better medical benefits
- Morale much greater in the public with far less employee disengagement
- You dont have to worry about getting laid off when some greedy bas** at the top decides he wants to buy a 2nd mansion or 3rd yacht or just save a few pennies despite working you're tail of for years and being a loyal employee.
- Chances are you will have better more knowledgable, easy going management. Not idiots who were just put there based on some phony nepotism/cronyism petty crap
There should be no reconsidering this. The private sector is a contemporary hell hole.

Why do you think theres so many people trying to get into the public sector today? Coincidence? Consider yourself lucky you landed a gig. Most of us wish we could. Ive been trying for 2 years now to no avail with military experience and a bachelor's degree and 8-10 years of private sector experience. You're lucky to of landed one at a young age. The waiting line is 10,000 miles long

Last edited by DorianRo; 01-08-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 01-08-2017, 07:20 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,406,580 times
I think you should go for the government job. If you love your work, it makes it easier to go to work and do your job. Not to mention the benefits, stability, etc.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt137 View Post
I was recently offered a position in the state government, which is a line of work I can see myself in for a very long term and possibly retiring in. However, this job will pay $10-15K less than my current job. I am still fairly young (under 30), so I'll have at least another 35 years in the work force, which is plenty of time to make more money.

I looked at the pros and cons of the two jobs, and here is what I came up with.

Pros for consulting: better pay
Pros for government: better work-life balance, more time off, more job security, more predictable schedule, pension available, cheaper health insurance
...?

The only thing on your pro/con list that is more reality than myth is the better pay. As you've found, gov pay is at least that much less than private sector and you will likely remain that far behind comparable jobs if you stay 35 years in gov sector. I'm not arguing against it, but to go in with eyes open on both the pay and working conditions reality. See below for some of the myths people have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

- Far easier daily grind in the public sector--Myth. Could be true in some jobs, but not guaranteed. Many jobs can be worse as well.
- Theres a limit to the abuse that management can do to you--Myth. What makes you think that?
- Normal work hours -- Myth. Some jobs it's true, but many jobs you work what's needed.
- You will actually have more help to get projects done instead of operating on a short-staffed skeleton crew to where the slave owners expect you to do work miracle every day and defy the laws of physics--Big MYTH. Most locations are understaffed because the public doesn't want to pay for more staff, whom they assume are doing nothing. Reality is you're doing multiple jobs for people who aren't there and won't be replaced.
- Better retirement--Possible. It depends on where and when hired. But these are certainly going away.
- Better medical benefits--Partial myth. Benefits are generally less than provided by large companies, but better than mom and pops.
- Morale much greater in the public with far less employee disengagement --Myth. Same bad management with politicians on top thrown in. Constant bashing by politicians and the public as "overpaid and underworked" and so forth.
- You dont have to worry about getting laid off when some greedy bas** at the top decides he wants to buy a 2nd mansion or 3rd yacht or just save a few pennies despite working you're tail of for years and being a loyal employee. --Myth. RIFs happen. Politicians are in charge and won't hesitate to cut funding if they think it buys them votes.
- Chances are you will have better more knowledgable, easy going management. Not idiots who were just put there based on some phony nepotism/cronyism petty crap --Another big MYTH. Again, the ultimate management are politicians. Management under them is politically savvy to get and stay promoted. A lot of stupid, politically motivated "stunts"
There should be no reconsidering this. The private sector is a contemporary hell hole.

Why do you think theres so many people trying to get into the public sector today? Coincidence? Of course there are a lot of people who want in; they believe all the myths you posted, as well as how much they think they will be paid. Most aren't even close to qualified for the jobs they apply for. Consider yourself lucky you landed a gig. Most of us wish we could. Ive been trying for 2 years now to no avail with military experience and a bachelor's degree and 8-10 years of private sector experience. You're lucky to of landed one at a young age. The waiting line is 10,000 miles long

I'm not arguing you shouldn't pursue a government job. There are a lot of pros, with the biggest being you are serving something larger than yourself. You get to work on important things and get to see and do things others wish they could. But go in with your eyes open that pay is less and the working environment is no different than the private sector. Don't fall for the myths, but look at the reality. Do expect to work hard. Do expect that most of your coworkers really do care and try to do a good job. Do expect overtime, often uncompensated. Do expect to be insulted by the public while having to remain professional in return. Do expect to do more than what you were hired for. Do expect short staffing. Do expect to remain behind your peers in pay. Do expect to never hear "thank you."

Old 01-08-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The only thing on your pro/con list that is more reality than myth is the better pay. As you've found, gov pay is at least that much less than private sector and you will likely remain that far behind comparable jobs if you stay 35 years in gov sector. I'm not arguing against it, but to go in with eyes open on both the pay and working conditions reality. See below for some of the myths people have.

I'm not arguing you shouldn't pursue a government job. There are a lot of pros, with the biggest being you are serving something larger than yourself. You get to work on important things and get to see and do things others wish they could. But go in with your eyes open that pay is less and the working environment is no different than the private sector. Don't fall for the myths, but look at the reality. Do expect to work hard. Do expect that most of your coworkers really do care and try to do a good job. Do expect overtime, often uncompensated. Do expect to be insulted by the public while having to remain professional in return. Do expect to do more than what you were hired for. Do expect short staffing. Do expect to remain behind your peers in pay. Do expect to never hear "thank you."

Obviously isn't not going to be 100 percent true in ALL scenarios in the public sector but by and large most of these things are true.

The biggest plus in the public sector (besides retirement and medical coverage) is job security. There is NO job security in the private sector unless you're well connected. You can be your departments top performer and if someone doesn't like you (from some petty POV) you can be shown the door.

Sure the public sector may not pay as well but the pension/medical coverage can many times make up for it. And in many cases you may be paid just as much working at the state/fed level as you would at a company. At least you get a nicer pension, and medical coverage though at the end of the day.

Unless you land some cushy job at a company with amazing pay and perks, the public sector would be my pick.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:07 AM

44 posts, read 94,919 times
Thank you for that honest assessment- I think when you said " There are a lot of pros, with the biggest being you are serving something larger than yourself", that really hits the nail on the head for me. I know public sector jobs get a lot of bashing and hate, but personally, I can't think of a job that would be more rewarding or meaningful to me. I like consulting, but the main purpose is to make your clients happy, and the clients are often other companies that I don't have a strong desire to make happy. For government, the client is the people, and I find that to be a stronger driver to do good, hard work. I just have to be comfortable knowing that I won't be making as much money. I am confident though that the work-life balance will be much better though because my interviewer mentioned it as a perk of the job without me prompting it.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt137 View Post
Thank you for that honest assessment- I think when you said " There are a lot of pros, with the biggest being you are serving something larger than yourself", that really hits the nail on the head for me. I know public sector jobs get a lot of bashing and hate, but personally, I can't think of a job that would be more rewarding or meaningful to me. I like consulting, but the main purpose is to make your clients happy, and the clients are often other companies that I don't have a strong desire to make happy. For government, the client is the people, and I find that to be a stronger driver to do good, hard work. I just have to be comfortable knowing that I won't be making as much money. I am confident though that the work-life balance will be much better though because my interviewer mentioned it as a perk of the job without me prompting it.
Then that's the key for you. If you keep that in mind it can be a satisfying career.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:18 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

I'm not arguing you shouldn't pursue a government job. There are a lot of pros, with the biggest being you are serving something larger than yourself. You get to work on important things and get to see and do things others wish they could. But go in with your eyes open that pay is less and the working environment is no different than the private sector. Don't fall for the myths, but look at the reality. Do expect to work hard. Do expect that most of your coworkers really do care and try to do a good job. Do expect overtime, often uncompensated. Do expect to be insulted by the public while having to remain professional in return. Do expect to do more than what you were hired for. Do expect short staffing. Do expect to remain behind your peers in pay. Do expect to never hear "thank you
."
Thats why you get paid by the hour to avoid unpaid overtime

Old 01-08-2017, 01:21 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

- Far easier daily grind in the public sector
- Theres a limit to the abuse that management can do to you
- Normal work hours
- You will actually have more help to get projects done instead of operating on a short-staffed skeleton crew to where the slave owners expect you to do work miracle every day and defy the laws of physics
- Better retirement
- Better medical benefits
- Morale much greater in the public with far less employee disengagement
- You dont have to worry about getting laid off when some greedy bas** at the top decides he wants to buy a 2nd mansion or 3rd yacht or just save a few pennies despite working you're tail of for years and being a loyal employee.
- Chances are you will have better more knowledgable, easy going management. Not idiots who were just put there based on some phony nepotism/cronyism petty crap

Why do you think theres so many people trying to get into the public sector today? Coincidence? Consider yourself lucky you landed a gig. Most of us wish we could. Ive been trying for 2 years now to no avail with military experience and a bachelor's degree and 8-10 years of private sector experience. You're lucky to of landed one at a young age. The waiting line is 10,000 miles long
Are you sure you are doing it right? applying for jobs you are qualify to do. fixing up your resume right ( matching the keywords, ) and interviewing right.

If you are looking at entry level its much easier to break in public sector

Old 01-08-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Are you sure you are doing it right? applying for jobs you are qualify to do. fixing up your resume right ( matching the keywords, ) and interviewing right.

If you are looking at entry level its much easier to break in public sector
I had my resume worked over by various people involved in hiring processes, employment agencies, headhunters etc. Applied for positions in fields I have currently worked (Not all positions but some) .. Interviewing right?? Well tough to say since I haven't even received a phone call for an interview.

Who knows. They may not even be legitimate positions that are opening. You don't know anymore this day and age since you'll never get a legitimate reason why you weren't hired or even considered other than some automated filtered response that gets crapped back to you. . Either the jobs openings weren't legit or the job went to someone that was related to/friends with the hiring manager. Not much I can do about that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment