Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which profession do you respect the LEAST
Insurance business 64 16.08%
Telemarketer 200 50.25%
Lawyer 113 28.39%
Bus driver 7 1.76%
Janitor 4 1.01%
Trash collector 4 1.01%
Maid/Housekeeper 6 1.51%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 09:53 AM

10,221 posts, read 15,917,484 times

Advertisements

The counterpart to the respect most post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 09:58 AM

Definitely lawyers, with insurance companeis and telemarketers following close behind. Just about everyone I know who is a lawyer or who wants to be a lawyer is a greedy, moral-less prick and sellout. They are the most corrupt and greedy people in the world.

I respect trash collectors and janitors (given that they are legal)....imagine what the world would be without them. People who look down on farmers and "rednecks" too....who grows your food when you go with yoru liberal elite buddies to that exquisite French bistro?

But the world would be a better place without corrupt lawyers, greedy insurance company people and annoying telemarketers. Lawyers may be a necessary evil but telemarketers are actually completely unnecessary

Old 09-07-2008, 10:28 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
You forgot the worst, people who send out spam emails... although I think most of those are from another country.

Personally I hate people that are involved in outsourcing - how can they sleep at night knowing they are taking jobs away from americans who desperately need them and are more than qualified to have them just in order to get the CEO of the company a new rolls royce.

I don't hate any of those professions. There are good and bad in all. And everyone needs to make a living.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:29 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,439,777 times
Definitely lawyer.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,969 times
I actually have a great amount of respect for bus drivers.

Imagine your job as someone that has to drive a >26,000 lb vehicle and deal with traffic the entire work day (and, in Chicago, "special" Cubs fans that walk through the middle of the street straight into a bus's path), hostile riders that think you're rude or incompetent for no reason except that you're the driver taking their money, other hostile riders that get mad that the bus is late because it was stuck in an accident, and - my personal favorite - the people that get hostile because the bus didn't stop exactly where they wanted it to.

I know I couldn't do it.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:28 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,460,676 times
Well, people hate lawyers until they need one. A person never needs a telemarketer. The trick with lawyers is finding a good one. There are some really bad ones out there, that's for sure. There are also thoughtful brilliant ones.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times
For me it is definitely real estate agents and most sales professions--especially used cars salespeople.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:41 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,779 times
I don't least respect any professions. They all serve their purpose in society.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I actually have a great amount of respect for bus drivers.

Imagine your job as someone that has to drive a >26,000 lb vehicle and deal with traffic the entire work day (and, in Chicago, "special" Cubs fans that walk through the middle of the street straight into a bus's path), hostile riders that think you're rude or incompetent for no reason except that you're the driver taking their money, other hostile riders that get mad that the bus is late because it was stuck in an accident, and - my personal favorite - the people that get hostile because the bus didn't stop exactly where they wanted it to.

I know I couldn't do it.
I know, people look down on working class folks like bus drivers, truck drivers, "rednecks", farmers, etc but they're the backbone of our country, they're the real, true Americans who keep this country going, more so than the greedy doctors and health insurance companies or the corrupt lawyers, stockbrokers and investment bankes who swagger around in their suits or cut ppl off in their BMWs and Mercedes while they make their money by stealing and swindling from ordinary people or in the case of doctors profit from people's misfortune.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Well, people hate lawyers until they need one. A person never needs a telemarketer. The trick with lawyers is finding a good one. There are some really bad ones out there, that's for sure. There are also thoughtful brilliant ones.
My cousin didn't want to be a lawyer because he says it is a corrupt, soulless profession that is devoid of morals. I mean lawyers will do anything for money. If Osama bin Laden was caught there will be some rich East Coast bigshot firm who will represent him knowing his family has billions in oil wealth. Court appointed attorneys have to put all morality aside and defend criminals, gang members, drug dealers, and other scum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment