Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 02:01 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,567,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
So, long story short, I got fired today from a job I loved. I was there more than five years.

I live in NY so whether the reasoning behind the firing was just/unjust fair/unfair, etc. has no bearing. My immediate supervisor hired a female and they began a relationship outside of work. It began to effect team morale and everyone felt pretty on edge about the whole situation. Me having seniority on the shift led people to come to me to go to our department manager to do something.

It was a mess. He said, she said and then I took the fall.

I had never been disciplined and I'm a good worker. My manager and the head of HR excused themselves in the middle of firing me, and offered to accept my resignation instead, effective immediately. Apparently they waited to see if I would accept my fate professionally, which I did. They also said they would authorize unemployment benefits and my manager wrote me a recommendation letter and said any calls he received he would give me a good reference, explaining that he would tell them 'he wasn't sure why I left'.

I was the defacto supervisor on the shift, as our actual supervisor was off with this co-worker. I was respected among my peers and I'm feeling really upset but I've shoved all those bad emotions into a neat compartment in my brain and I am ready to get to work first thing in the morning finding a new job.

My wife had a baby four months ago. She's freaking out. I'm trying my best to comfort her. I told her I wouldn't be out of work long and I will find something quickly.

In all honesty I'm freaking out inside but I'm trying to hold it together.

Any suggestions/tips/encouragement for a less-then-24-hour fired/forced resignation worker?
Next time tell the employees to report it themselves. Don't be the martyr unless you are near 100% sure HR is not for management only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 05:27 PM

10 posts, read 5,513 times
companies pull stuff like this, dont even treat employees like humans yet you guys complain if someone doesnt put in 2 weeks when they leave.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:32 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
So, long story short, I got fired today from a job I loved. I was there more than five years.

I live in NY so whether the reasoning behind the firing was just/unjust fair/unfair, etc. has no bearing. My immediate supervisor hired a female and they began a relationship outside of work. It began to effect team morale and everyone felt pretty on edge about the whole situation. Me having seniority on the shift led people to come to me to go to our department manager to do something.

It was a mess. He said, she said and then I took the fall.

I had never been disciplined and I'm a good worker. My manager and the head of HR excused themselves in the middle of firing me, and offered to accept my resignation instead, effective immediately. Apparently they waited to see if I would accept my fate professionally, which I did. They also said they would authorize unemployment benefits and my manager wrote me a recommendation letter and said any calls he received he would give me a good reference, explaining that he would tell them 'he wasn't sure why I left'.

I was the defacto supervisor on the shift, as our actual supervisor was off with this co-worker. I was respected among my peers and I'm feeling really upset but I've shoved all those bad emotions into a neat compartment in my brain and I am ready to get to work first thing in the morning finding a new job.

My wife had a baby four months ago. She's freaking out. I'm trying my best to comfort her. I told her I wouldn't be out of work long and I will find something quickly.

In all honesty I'm freaking out inside but I'm trying to hold it together.

Any suggestions/tips/encouragement for a less-then-24-hour fired/forced resignation worker?
I would have advised you to work a deal when it happened. Deal should be -- ok you'll go quietly, but, they need to tell people who call that you resigned, AND, you can apply for unemployment and they will not contest it. I've seen people do that deal just so they won't sue the place for wrongful dismissal.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:35 PM

129 posts, read 124,162 times
Ah, at-will employment. What a lovely thing.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:39 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propexpert View Post
No a union is better

Old 01-20-2017, 05:40 PM

FWIW, I was allowed to "resign" from a job and was promised that my unemployment claim would not be contested. Lo and behold, this company kept its promise and I was able to collect benefits. But this was in 1999. Things have certainly changed seemingly for the worse for employees in two decades.

Last edited by propexpert; 01-20-2017 at 05:54 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
No a union is better
Damn forgot to add that sarcasm font!

Old 01-20-2017, 05:41 PM

10 posts, read 5,513 times
Quote:
FWIW, I was allowed to "resign" from a job and was promised that my unemployment claim would not be contested. Lo and behold, this company kept its promise and I was able to collect benefits. But this was in 1998. Things have certainly changed seemingly for the worse for employees in two decades.
why do you let these companies walk all over you.

i believe your the same guy who said you have to put in 2 weeks when leaving, yet companies can treat guys like the op like they arnt human.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:45 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times
In my state, you can't get UI benefits if you resign. Sometimes managers will trick someone into "resigning" from their job, so they can deny them benefits.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Am I the only person that doesn't have a problem with at-will employment? We don't own our jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikings2903 View Post
why do you let these companies walk all over you.

i believe your the same guy who said you have to put in 2 weeks when leaving, yet companies can treat guys like the op like they arnt human.
Companies aren't walking over people. People are making choices. Seriously, giving notice makes someone a chump?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment