Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:20 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,537 times

Advertisements

So, long story short, I got fired today from a job I loved. I was there more than five years.

I live in NY so whether the reasoning behind the firing was just/unjust fair/unfair, etc. has no bearing. My immediate supervisor hired a female and they began a relationship outside of work. It began to effect team morale and everyone felt pretty on edge about the whole situation. Me having seniority on the shift led people to come to me to go to our department manager to do something.

It was a mess. He said, she said and then I took the fall.

I had never been disciplined and I'm a good worker. My manager and the head of HR excused themselves in the middle of firing me, and offered to accept my resignation instead, effective immediately. Apparently they waited to see if I would accept my fate professionally, which I did. They also said they would authorize unemployment benefits and my manager wrote me a recommendation letter and said any calls he received he would give me a good reference, explaining that he would tell them 'he wasn't sure why I left'.

I was the defacto supervisor on the shift, as our actual supervisor was off with this co-worker. I was respected among my peers and I'm feeling really upset but I've shoved all those bad emotions into a neat compartment in my brain and I am ready to get to work first thing in the morning finding a new job.

My wife had a baby four months ago. She's freaking out. I'm trying my best to comfort her. I told her I wouldn't be out of work long and I will find something quickly.

In all honesty I'm freaking out inside but I'm trying to hold it together.

Any suggestions/tips/encouragement for a less-then-24-hour fired/forced resignation worker?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 09:23 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Do you have their promises (I count 3) in writing?

Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
It's not your employer's decision if you get unemployment or not, that is the determination of the Sate of NY based on their regulations. Quitting employment is a disqualification and results in a denial of benefits unless you have "Just Cause" to quit as defined by NYS. Just cause are items like being asked to commit illegal acts, subject to a HWE, not being paid, unsafe or hazardous condition the employer refuses to fix, etc., etc. Based on what you wrote, they scammed you into a resignation to avoid having to pay increased unemployment taxes knowing a "Quit/Resignation" will result in a denial.

Now, although they pulled a fast one over on you and you took the bait, there is still hope. A NYS Appeal Board Case from the 1940's is still applicable today if you're smart enough to pull it off. That case essentially said that if you can show by compelling evidence that your resignation was in lieu of being fired, you did not really quit voluntarily but rather did so while under emotional duress. So, since the resignation/quit wasn't voluntary, it becomes a dismissal which would be adjudicated as a firing. It is ever so much easier to win unemployment when fired versus when you quit.

So, before you apply for unemployment, you had better know the processes and procedures if you want to see some money. How do you want to proceed?

Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,879,258 times
Second what Rabrrita posted.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:22 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It's not your employer's decision if you get unemployment or not, that is the determination of the Sate of NY based on their regulations. Quitting employment is a disqualification and results in a denial of benefits unless you have "Just Cause" to quit as defined by NYS. Just cause are items like being asked to commit illegal acts, subject to a HWE, not being paid, unsafe or hazardous condition the employer refuses to fix, etc., etc. Based on what you wrote, they scammed you into a resignation to avoid having to pay increased unemployment taxes knowing a "Quit/Resignation" will result in a denial.

Now, although they pulled a fast one over on you and you took the bait, there is still hope. A NYS Appeal Board Case from the 1940's is still applicable today if you're smart enough to pull it off. That case essentially said that if you can show by compelling evidence that your resignation was in lieu of being fired, you did not really quit voluntarily but rather did so while under emotional duress. So, since the resignation/quit wasn't voluntary, it becomes a dismissal which would be adjudicated as a firing. It is ever so much easier to win unemployment when fired versus when you quit.

So, before you apply for unemployment, you had better know the processes and procedures if you want to see some money. How do you want to proceed?
Well, it's not a done deal yet. I have until tomorrow, (Friday) to submit my resignation or it will be a termination.

Either way I technically don't qualify for benefits.

However, according to the head of HR that I spoke with, NY approves all claims, and then sends a letter to my previous employer and then they have a choice to contest it for whatever reason. He said that as a courtesy they will not contest the claim.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:35 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
As a courtesy, hr isnt the one paying unemployment... they have no say in if they will contest it or not

Old 01-19-2017, 02:06 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,688 times
Sorry this happened, OP.

Do not quit.
File for unemployment immediately. They have to give a reason for terminating you.

Don't count on getting a good reference. What they promise and what they do are two different things.

"Courtesy"? Forget that. Don't kid yourself. They are not your friends.

Last edited by applej3; 01-19-2017 at 03:25 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 04:41 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,446,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Sorry this happened, OP.

Do not quit.
File for unemployment immediately. They have to give a reason for terminating you.

Don't count on getting a good reference. What they promise and what they do are two different things.

"Courtesy"? Forget that. Don't kid yourself. They are not your friends.
This!
And if they make you sign something write " under duress" where you have to sign your name.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 01-19-2017 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Nnn

Old 01-19-2017, 04:57 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
There is absolutely no requirement for an employer to provide a reason to terminate an employee in New York State, or most other states. Without extenuating circumstances NY will not pay unemployment to a worker who quits their job.

(Regardless of what anyone from the Midwest might advise.)

Old 01-19-2017, 04:58 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,667,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Well, it's not a done deal yet. I have until tomorrow, (Friday) to submit my resignation or it will be a termination.

Either way I technically don't qualify for benefits.

However, according to the head of HR that I spoke with, NY approves all claims, and then sends a letter to my previous employer and then they have a choice to contest it for whatever reason. He said that as a courtesy they will not contest the claim.
Are they offering you severance in order to submit your resignation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment