Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:12 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
Probably because once he graduated, all his student loans would become due. He chose not to graduate so he could stave off having to pay them back.
Not true. Once you leave school -- in fact, once you drop below half-time -- you have to start repaying your loans 6 months later, assuming they are Federal student loans. Unless you go to graduate school or get called to active military. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-l...and#when-begin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:34 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Probably because once he graduated, all his student loans would become due. He chose not to graduate so he could stave off having to pay them back.
He didn't have that many student loans, but it doesn't matter because this statement is simply not true. Once you stop attending, you must begin paying back the loans.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:38 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
30 years ago, I knew a couple people who were claiming they attended a small college and it had burned down. All records were lost, so now way to back this up.
Neither had a degree from anywhere. It was out west somewhere. Burned down in the 70's.

I was about 2 classes form graduating. Not having a degree and being honest about it really hindered my career opportunities. I should of left small area midwest.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I agree - probably a fake post. Years ago before the internet, it might have been easy to get away with lying on a resume or employment application. These days no so much.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:27 AM

604 posts, read 618,672 times
I understand going back to check degrees and certifications, but who checks past work experience after 10 years?

Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 AM

13,485 posts, read 9,030,344 times
If the person has worked there for 10 years & was obviously doing a good enough job to get promoted then why should they be sacked? Many people lie on their resume, especially about grades & things, obviously you shouldn't lie about where you have worked, as that will be checked by most(at least the last job anyway), but after 10 years? Shouldn't make a difference...

Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
So what do you think? A worker with the company nearly 10 years - in a high level management job - was twice promoted after a company takeover - was found to have lied on his resume. His entire experience was made up. Instead of 18 years of management experience - he was unemployed & living off his parents in the basement of their house. Should the company overlook it - given his long work history with them? Or make him an example - after all - he took a job from a more deserving, honest candidate. In the end - does lying pay?
I think you should stop making up stories. If he worked for the company for 10 years, with another 18 years experience that would put him age wise into his 50s.

If you're going to make up stories, make him late 20s worked for the company for 5 years and lied about being a college graduate, you know something more believable.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I was about 2 classes form graduating. Not having a degree and being honest about it really hindered my career opportunities. I should of left small area midwest.
There are so many opportunities for continuing adult education at so many colleges, there really is no reason not to finish it. You don't have to finish it at the school you started it with, you can transfer credits and finish it elsewhere. Take one class at a time if needed to finish it. I know too many people who complain they don't have a degree or graduate degree, and because of it they don't have the qualifications for jobs they want. The thing is, I've known people like that if they spent the time working on the degree they could have finished 4 times over by now. There are people who started college, and then go back to finish their undergraduate degree 20 years later.

It is far better to spend a few years and complete it than limiting your chances and confidence for the rest of your life.

In 2017 it is major stupid to lie about a degree you don't have, because it is so easy to do the verification of it now. Even if somehow you can get away with it, the daily stress that you will be found out is going to take it's toll on you. Also, you won't know if other jobs you applied for you were turned down because they found out you lied about a degree. What people don't realize, is that prospective employers aren't cops, they aren't going to come confront you about a fake degree, they will just move on to the next candidate.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:58 PM

289 posts, read 220,060 times
Quote:
That's not how student loans work. Once you dip below full-time or are no longer registered as an active student, your loans are no longer in deferment.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:00 PM

289 posts, read 220,060 times
Odd, my post second post was simply stating to ignore my post because others had already covered the issue at hand in regards to how student loan payments work. There wasn't a pinch of rudeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment