Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:07 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times

Advertisements

The ONLY thing that should matter is did performance. If an emplyee made me money, as long as it was legal, that was the only thing that mattered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 12:02 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
It's very hard to lie about 18 years of prior management experience. All the executives at his current company would have contacts that worked at the prior company in the last 18 year.

He might get away with lying, if he went to a mom and pop shop. At a Fortune 500 company, it's unlikely. Pepsico execs may have worked at Coke, during the same time period or have friends that still work there.

I came across the same issue even as a non-management employee.. In my current job, 2 of the interviewing members on the panel knew my boss at the former company. They had worked together for 2-3 years at another company.

In the prior job, the VP knew all 3 of my references, my former managers. She had worked with all three of them at a Fortune 500 company, prior to her current role. She called up one of them, who vouched for me. I got the job offer, the next day.

It's a small world, when you deal with management.

Last edited by move4ward; 02-03-2017 at 12:16 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 12:06 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
I worked for a major Fortune 500 company who made quite a few hiring mistakes. One of which was hire a juvenile who posed as an adult.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:29 AM

286 posts, read 851,385 times
Yeah lying is not cool, but he has to have some competency and skills to be able to be promoted. It depends on the job too. Things like graphic design, food services, tourism, and retail, he can get a pass since it more about the doing the job itself. But things that require certifications and credentials, he would get fired immediately.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I've bumped into several completely fabricated resumes over the years.

I had one a long time ago who claimed to have worked 5 years as a 'C' programmer. Something smelled fishy. I handed him a whiteboard marker and asked him to write a program that prints "Hello World". This is page 1 of any 'C' programming book. The guy couldn't do it.

More recently, I've bumped into a funky cultural issue where the Indian engineers would prep their buddies to fake their way through the job interview. Fake resume claiming they worked on projects that would pertain to what we were hiring for. Again, I managed to sniff them out but that was usually after several other people had interviewed them and saw no problem.

Tons of people are out there who didn't quite graduate. I don't care about that. I care about their last 5 years of work history. My tech industry sector is small enough that I can pretty much always do a backdoor reference check on any candidate. Most of them check out but you encounter the occasional one where you get a "No. They never worked on that project. They were doing xxxx." where xxxx had nothing at all to do with what we were hiring for.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:25 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
Yeah lying is not cool, but he has to have some competency and skills to be able to be promoted. It depends on the job too. Things like graphic design, food services, tourism, and retail, he can get a pass since it more about the doing the job itself. But things that require certifications and credentials, he would get fired immediately.
Or maybe he has 'something' on his higher up that forces him or her to cover for him. He may have even been hired under that same blackmail situation.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
If a background check is gone it will show what schools you attended and degrees earned. It will also show employer history. With that said, if an employer does a background check these days you really can't lie. 10 years ago... Probably. If the employee had done well with no attendance issues or any other type of problems I would think after 10 years of employment they might overlook this with a warning in his file. If something else happens then they let him go. However some employers may let him go right away for lying on an application.
I mean, maybe it varies by company but ... when I moved to my current company 11 years ago, my background was checked under a microscope. I needed personal and professional references, in addition to the work, education, credit and other histories. And they wanted everything down to the month that I met a person. One reference, I was in a panic because I knew what year we had met, but I couldn't remember the exact month. Believe me, they checked all of this (my reference told me afterwards). I obviously passed, but I no way would anyone have been able to get away with lying about something in their background 10 years ago at my company, particularly on something so huge.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:24 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
If an employer decides to terminate an employee one approach is to go back to their application and verify everything claimed as an applicant. If any material misstatements are found that would have resulted in a no-hire you have no recourse, you are a goner.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:56 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Why doesn't he just quietly finish the degree? Makes no sense not to & why take the chance?
A lot of times the credits expire if you don't finish by a certain time and you have to start all over.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I know quite a few people who are just a few classes short of a degree. Many college allow people who are close to walk and go through with the ceremony but not actually issue the degree and I think once that's done, and a job is started, going back to college isn't a priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment