Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:34 PM

113 posts, read 85,881 times

Advertisements

So they didn't do a background check until he had been promoted and with the company for years? Yeah I think this was a made up topic....

In any case with the internet and everything, I don't think you could really lie on a resume anymore about job history. I guess that's a good thing (lol...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 04:44 PM

7 posts, read 2,667 times
I agree it depends on the type of candidate and how expendable he/she is. Is it legal to "revise" person's compensation as a result?

Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,308 times
LOL - I was looking for an opinion but most people seem completely caught up in whether or not it is "true" or not - so yes, its true although some facts might be changed - You want the guy's name and social security number? LOL.

Its actually easier then a lot of you think - how many of you know a business owner of a small company well enough to use as a reference - for a job - you never did? In fact - look up Mangano Nassau County arrested - on Google.

In Nassau County, NY the County Executive and his wife were arrested for a variety of things - but the wife had a $400,000 job as a "taster" for a restaurant. They are saying the job never really existed and was part of a kickback for political contracts.

But what happened if she applied for a job as a taster for another company? The owner will act as her reference and in this case, she actually got paid on the books. In my case, they didn't actually pay the guy because he never actually did the job, even though, they might have said he did if the company called them for a reference.

See how easy it is? To lie and make a job up and get away with it.

How does he get caught? How does any liar, cheater or fraud get caught? You brag to the wrong person who reports it and then what? Either the owner gets in trouble for "paying off the books" or admits he never did the job in the first place. Because the guy's social security benefits statement will show zero income for the time he was supposed to be doing the job on his resume.

5 years, 10 years, 15 years - does it matter? That's what I'm asking.

Does time somehow deaden the impact so if the company is tipped off about a high level, high paid employee having lied about his work history - 5 years ago, 10 years ago - should that company taken any action?

s

Old 02-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I've bumped into several completely fabricated resumes over the years.

I had one a long time ago who claimed to have worked 5 years as a 'C' programmer. Something smelled fishy. I handed him a whiteboard marker and asked him to write a program that prints "Hello World". This is page 1 of any 'C' programming book. The guy couldn't do it.

More recently, I've bumped into a funky cultural issue where the Indian engineers would prep their buddies to fake their way through the job interview. Fake resume claiming they worked on projects that would pertain to what we were hiring for. Again, I managed to sniff them out but that was usually after several other people had interviewed them and saw no problem.

Tons of people are out there who didn't quite graduate. I don't care about that. I care about their last 5 years of work history. My tech industry sector is small enough that I can pretty much always do a backdoor reference check on any candidate. Most of them check out but you encounter the occasional one where you get a "No. They never worked on that project. They were doing xxxx." where xxxx had nothing at all to do with what we were hiring for.
Ah see this is what I'm talking about - but in the case where the guy obviously could do the job - got trained by the company in fact - but its not a technical job - its basically a job anyone could do if they have the right personality and let's face it - anyone who has the balls to lie there way into a job - is usually quite the charmer and can manipulate just about anyone into believing they are who they claim to be.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Or maybe he has 'something' on his higher up that forces him or her to cover for him. He may have even been hired under that same blackmail situation.
Ha ha ha - nothing so dramatic.

But how about you get hired by a small business that does a cursory reference check - calls the guy's brother and says hey - did so an so manage your store for you for 10 years and the brother says - yeah sure he did and they're satisfied and move on.

Meanwhile the guy was a druggie living off his parents for those 10 years and the brother managed his store with a partner but hey - its family right? Or a friend right?

NOW imagine the little business merges with a bigger business, or gets bought by a conglomerate - this creates a couple of promotions which this guy gets.

NOW the buy pisses the wrong people off - people who knew him for the 10 years he did nothing - and knew he lied about it - and they tell the personnel director at the conglomerate the liar is now working for at $100K.

That's the scenerio.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
How it all was discovered?
A tip off to the personnel department by someone he bragged to about how much better he was doing then the person who knew he lied to get the job a few years back.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:26 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
If true, he should be dismissed as an example. Probably won't happen though.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:41 PM

67 posts, read 50,023 times
just shows how stupid and pointless the rat race is. I wouldnt fire him unless there was something he really didnt do at work.
if he's done the job he was hired for, theres no reason to worry about it.
work is nothing you can take with you in your life. All jobs are useless busy work with no real reward.
words like 'skill' and 'experience' are truly meaningless.
the people who make millions are usually the dumbest of the bunch..actors,Jocks politicians etc.

those are fake jobs but no one complains about that.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:12 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I doubt this is based in reality. It is quite unlikely that a person with no experience could enter a high level management job and succeed.

I believe that not only was "his entire experience ... made up", I believe that this entire post was made up.
Maybe it's her boyfriend or husband or someone else close to her and she just wants to get our feelings about this or free HR advice from those that do it for a living.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbayboomer View Post
maybe it's her boyfriend or husband or someone else close to her and she just wants to get our feelings about this or free hr advice from those that do it for a living.
HER? I'm a Her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment