Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 06:52 PM

472 posts, read 439,136 times

Advertisements

So the situation is this: My coworker who had been having a difficult time adjusting to what they perceived as favoritism at work involving another coworker and the lack of fairness said coworker saw in the workplace as a result. Well, the coworker recently applied for and was granted FMLA protection for taking care of her mom. As a result, she has been gone for basically three weeks straight. She came back for two days during that stretch and has been gone again for a week since returning for those two days.

She called me and informed me that her mother is fine and she just can't bear to come in to work because of the lack of fairness. So she is abusing FMLA and while she said she isn't getting paid because she's out of PTO, her absence is having an effect on what is a small office because someone has to do her work while she's gone which means they can't always do their own.

What should I do with the information? Nothing? Tell someone? A third option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,656,797 times
Well first off she is an idiot for telling you that.

Was the mother ever actually ill? Or is this case of the mother really was ill, but is now better and your coworker just doesn't want to come to work?

It sounds like you're somewhat friendly with her. I guess you could say to her that is actually abusing a law set up for people to be able to take unpaid leave for family situations, and since she has now shared that her mother is well, she either needs to come back to work or you will have to share with the boss what she told you.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 PM

371 posts, read 494,520 times
Do basically nothing.

She's probably looking for another job, and is going to be miserable and useless while she's at work anyway. Let her do what she needs to do, and she'll be out of there soon enough.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:43 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,586,954 times
You could tell her that if she doesn't come back soon, the HR department will probably be checking out the situation. Also, if you have any suggestions on how she could solve the perceived work problem, it might help.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
Do basically nothing.

She's probably looking for another job, and is going to be miserable and useless while she's at work anyway. Let her do what she needs to do, and she'll be out of there soon enough.
Disagree.

She may or may not be looking for another job. She just recently went on FMLA, she has up to 3 months of time off with FMLA. She could stay out till well into May.

She put the OP in an unfortunate situation by sharing this with them, she must be real bright....LOL. If you're going to pull something like this you don't go around telling people.

If the OP says nothing, there is a chance it could come back to bite them, this coworker when cornered might say she told the OP early on that it was dishhonest.

I would say to her "it's really unfortunate you chose to share this information with me, and I really wish you hadn't. But since you did you need to either come back or quit, we're shorthanded and you're breaking the law, so either you take some action or you have forced my hand to share this infomation".

She must be a real dolt, I wonder if she posted this on FB as well....LOL.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:08 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times
The FMLA law provides for the employer to require proof, our HR will always require a doctor's form to be filled out before agreeing to FMLA. I would not recommend ratting out your coworker, but if she calls again, ask what she's going to do when they ask for proof. They may just not do it the first few weeks.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The FMLA law provides for the employer to require proof, our HR will always require a doctor's form to be filled out before agreeing to FMLA. I would not recommend ratting out your coworker, but if she calls again, ask what she's going to do when they ask for proof. They may just not do it the first few weeks.
Unless she is totally fabricating the story she may have already supplied a doctor's note. That was 3 weeks ago, now the mother is better but she doesn't want to come back to work.

I'm not normally for spilling the beans, the problem is this person decided to involve the OP. I don't think it's too smart to get further involved with her and asking her when she is going to supply proof(if she hasn't already).

I would be concerned if the truth comes out and the boss finds the OP knew she was pulling a "fast one", what the ramifications would be.

I wouldn't be so concerned about ratting someone out who clearly doesn't want to work there, could be using the time to look for another job vs. getting yourself fired or the very least now viewed as not trustworthy by your employer.

Anyone stupid enough to do this and tell a coworker(even one they might consider a friend) isn't the brightest bulb and doesn't need to be protected.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:30 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
Someone who is Retired Now used to have problems like this all of the time. Your coworker has her doctor's note and her time will be up soon enough. For all you know the story she is telling you is fabricated.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:34 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,028,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
So the situation is this: My coworker who had been having a difficult time adjusting to what they perceived as favoritism at work involving another coworker and the lack of fairness said coworker saw in the workplace as a result. Well, the coworker recently applied for and was granted FMLA protection for taking care of her mom. As a result, she has been gone for basically three weeks straight. She came back for two days during that stretch and has been gone again for a week since returning for those two days.

She called me and informed me that her mother is fine and she just can't bear to come in to work because of the lack of fairness. So she is abusing FMLA and while she said she isn't getting paid because she's out of PTO, her absence is having an effect on what is a small office because someone has to do her work while she's gone which means they can't always do their own.

Do nothing. It's not your place.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:35 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,027,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
...her absence is having an effect on what is a small office because someone has to do her work while she's gone which means they can't always do their own.

RAT HER OUT!!!!

What is she doing to lessen the impact her absence has on the rest of you? If she's not doing anything to balance out her absence but has no problem with gloating to you, you owe her nothing. Rat her out. Make her an unemployed person, not an FMLA abuser!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment