Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:59 PM

82 posts, read 91,795 times

Advertisements

Man... sifting thru this helps me remember not to take things for granted. I love my 15 min bike ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 07:39 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
After 12 years of a 3 hour (1.5 hr each way) daily commute, I'd say no.

You will never, ever get that time back.

I don't know how I did it all those years.

One regret I have in my life.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:33 PM

516 posts, read 1,616,464 times
I have an offer to work at a prestigious company/institution but would need to do a commute of approximately 2.5 hours each way on either a bus or car/train. Before you comment, here are the details. I would do the round trip 1 day per week and then go up one day, stay over night, and then return home the next day by 5 pm. This would entail 4 roundtrips for a total weekly commute time of 10 hours. The opportunity is incredible and inspiring and an absolute dream job.

I am just concerned about that dreaded round trip commute on that one day per week--the other trip up and back may be more tolerable as it is spread out over two days. Over time -- 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, 10 years-- will that commute become something so dreaded and stressful? I could be productive as about 2/3 of it is in public transportation. Again, the job is an absolute dream job that is exceptionally inspiring. The one night per week away is consistent with what I do now so the time away from family is a wash as I presently work until 10 pm and get home around 1030 pm on one night. The other night I get home at 730 pm. My present job has the approximate same amount of time (16 weeks) where I can work from home but there are some looming financial issues that cause concern and prompted the interest in the new job.

So, is considerably higher prestige and greater job satisfaction sufficient to compensate for the commuting arrangement I described (1 roundtrip of approximately 4.5 to 5.0 hours; then another roundtrip over two days where I would stay up overnight).

I am just curious to hear from folks who undertake or have undertaken such a marathon commute but over just a few days like I described. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2017, 08:45 PM

156 posts, read 123,651 times
Just move closer to work. For me, commuting 30 miles is already difficult but 90 one way? No way.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
I have an offer to work at a prestigious company/institution but would need to do a commute of approximately 2.5 hours each way on either a bus or car/train. Before you comment, here are the details. I would do the round trip 1 day per week and then go up one day, stay over night, and then return home the next day by 5 pm. This would entail 4 roundtrips for a total weekly commute time of 10 hours. The opportunity is incredible and inspiring and an absolute dream job.

I am just concerned about that dreaded round trip commute on that one day per week--the other trip up and back may be more tolerable as it is spread out over two days. Over time -- 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, 10 years-- will that commute become something so dreaded and stressful? I could be productive as about 2/3 of it is in public transportation. Again, the job is an absolute dream job that is exceptionally inspiring. The one night per week away is consistent with what I do now so the time away from family is a wash as I presently work until 10 pm and get home around 1030 pm on one night. The other night I get home at 730 pm. My present job has the approximate same amount of time (16 weeks) where I can work from home but there are some looming financial issues that cause concern and prompted the interest in the new job.

So, is considerably higher prestige and greater job satisfaction sufficient to compensate for the commuting arrangement I described (1 roundtrip of approximately 4.5 to 5.0 hours; then another roundtrip over two days where I would stay up overnight).

I am just curious to hear from folks who undertake or have undertaken such a marathon commute but over just a few days like I described. Thanks!
I'd seriously consider moving much close to work. The commuting would get very old and being away overnight from family is different than getting home at 1030 pm. Personally, I wouldn't take a job with that kind of commute unless I was able to move significantly closer. My time has value as does my personal life.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:11 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
90 miles ridiculous relocate move the end its life cant have everything you want

Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'd seriously consider moving much close to work. The commuting would get very old and being away overnight from family is different than getting home at 1030 pm. Personally, I wouldn't take a job with that kind of commute unless I was able to move significantly closer. My time has value as does my personal life.

Unfortunately, relocating is not an option at this point in time at least. Hummm.....I wonder why you say getting home at 10:30 PM is different than being away overnight. I would just see the kids for a 30 minute stint or so before they head off to school. Maybe it is the psychological factor of just being present overnight? I guess that makes sense.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
Unfortunately, relocating is not an option at this point in time at least. Hummm.....I wonder why you say getting home at 10:30 PM is different than being away overnight. I would just see the kids for a 30 minute stint or so before they head off to school. Maybe it is the psychological factor of just being present overnight? I guess that makes sense.
30 minutes is much more than NOTHING! You'll become an absentee parent. Your spouse will have to deal with you gone all night. Easier than it sounds. If there's an emergency or sick kid overnight, it's ALL on your spouse. You get out of dealing with those issues. Things like that can quickly build into a great deal of resentment. It's not all about seeing your kids....you have a spouse as well! Marriage takes work from 2 people. If one is gone every week that much, how you can strengthen your marriage?

Old 04-24-2017, 06:02 AM

point taken but it is one day per week. Does that change your opinion?

Old 04-24-2017, 06:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Very common where I live. People want the big city wages, but want to live in a low COL area. They are willing to commute 2-3 hours a day for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment