Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 03:17 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,106 times

Advertisements

You're assuming humans will need to work by then. In a little over ten years there's the possibility computers could do most of the work. Imagine automated cranes building a tower from blueprints taken from a database of collective blueprints. Then the building is inspected by an automated safety drone that auto approves it's new tenant, a robot law firm with first generation law drones with the world's collective law database at it's disposal. Sound far fetched by 2030? Perhaps. Then again who in 2000 figured everyone in 2013 older than 10 would have a smartphone and perhaps a tablet too that they stayed glued to 24/7, ordering a car to pick them up while playing candy crush?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 03:24 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
Ugh...the liberal arts hate will never cease to amaze me. I've got nothing against STEM career paths and get the current emphasis, but seriously, are we going to somehow spawn a population that is ALL science oriented?? I agree with the previous poster who thinks the future will still value humanity in many fields. While many (if not most) of the jobs of the future have yet to be invented, there are some careers that a robot just can't do. When AI is capable of actually experiencing emotion (and not just recognizing it), I'll eat my hat, throw up my hands, and say, "well, it's STEM or nothing now." But I have a feeling that is unlikely to occur in my children's (or grandchildren's) lifetimes. We still have value people! Don't give up yet!

Side note: I do agree with the above-referenced poster's comment about work ethic. It's an imperative trait and one not often emphasized enough these days.
And what does a computer feeling emotion have to do with it being able to perform a job? I can literally think of none where not feeling emotions would cause it to have a problem performing it's duties. Being able to perceive emotional states and predict likely responses, something they can do now, is already sufficient.

And if you think any companies will care how anyone feels about a robot now performing one of those jobs that surely only a person could, ask anyone who's been in Walmart if they think that company gives a damn about how people feel towards self checkout.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:12 AM

554 posts, read 684,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
And what does a computer feeling emotion have to do with it being able to perform a job? I can literally think of none where not feeling emotions would cause it to have a problem performing it's duties. Being able to perceive emotional states and predict likely responses, something they can do now, is already sufficient.
That's a grim view of humanity and the rich fabric of our emotional capacity and functioning. Any type of creative pursuit (writing, acting, art, photography, music, etc.) requires people to have emotional capacity to feel - otherwise, it doesn't translate authentically. The practice of psychology is dependent on authentic human emotion and connection - can you imagine going to see a grief therapist or a marriage counselor who could not feel? I'm sure their scripted responses would come off a totally empathetic. Lawyers depend on social nuance and improvisation based on emotional reactions to argue their cases. Wedding planners are trying to create an ambiance that triggers an emotional response. Doulas give women emotional support while giving birth.

I could go on, but the point is, humans are social creatures. Emotions and social connections are imperative to our survival. The only way I see the whole world stripped entirely of jobs that value humanity and emotional capacity is if computers take over the world and eradicate us. That said, there's an entire genre of post-apocalyptic fiction where technology is rendered useless that leads me to believe we'd find some way to take out the computer hive mind if that were to happen. Corporations may not value people/humanity, but humans do.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:45 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I want to prepare my 10 year old for some potential careers. I know, I know, we should let kids choose what they like to do, but I think kids need some guidance and it doesn't hurt to present some strong options.

3. Finance. I'm in finance myself; I know this industry will always be high-flying. I just sometimes feel pushing money around is meaningless; but it pays the bills.

Any thoughts on this?
If you think your job is relatively meaningless and it just pays the bills, then why would you want your kid to do the same thing?

There's a lot thrown around on this forum about becoming broke and destitute if you choose the wrong major/career, etc.

Personally, (and I am in my 40s), everybody I know on my Facebook page does ok. I mean, yes , some people make more than others obviously, but everybody makes enough money to get by. But nobody is on the streets begging for $. And some of my Facebook friends are relatively incompetent, lazy, and/or have bad attitudes.

My dad hated his job and my mom was indifferent yet they pushed me towards jobs where there was 'stability'. I never understood that.

In any case, he's way too young. Just instill him with work ethic.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:32 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Jet pack mechanic.
lol

Old 06-06-2017, 02:51 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Almost everything will be automated by 2070.

Tell him to become a billionaire. That's the only way he will survive.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:57 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
People probably won't want robot lawyers. People will always fight over money. Maybe he could go into law.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:58 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times
Medicine
Robotics
AI development
Coding

Law and architecture seem like strange inclusions on the OP's list. Those are two jobs for which there already exists a glut of people compared to the available jobs and it will only get worse.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Weapons development, as more and more hampsters are added to the cage eventually there will be a desire to start a major conflict (not a police action) but a major world war. It may go nuclear but if it doesn't there will be huge demand for all sorts of military gear.

As the population keeps exploding something is going to break.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:44 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Medicine
Robotics
AI development
Coding

Law and architecture seem like strange inclusions on the OP's list. Those are two jobs for which there already exists a glut of people compared to the available jobs and it will only get worse.
AI is going to be HUGE, our entire military force is likely going to go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment