Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2017, 01:12 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times

Advertisements

Counter argument:

1) Fewer teens want to work now that mommy and daddy give them everything they want until they are about 30.

2) Fewer parents want their kids to work because they would be embarrassed that their kid is working at a fast food joint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 01:20 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I see teens or college students working in fast food places. The older people are usually supervisors. Maybe the dominance of the industry by older people in your location has something to do specifically with your location, OP.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Good. Some really disgusting things happened at a lot of fast food places when teens were in charge!

Old 06-01-2017, 01:22 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Counter argument:

1) Fewer teens want to work now that mommy and daddy give them everything they want until they are about 30.

2) Fewer parents want their kids to work because they would be embarrassed that their kid is working at a fast food joint.
Parents would be embarrassed? They're not embarrassed to have their kids work as bag boys/girls in grocery stores, I don't see why they'd be embarrassed to see them working in fast food. Besides, plenty of families can't afford to be embarrassed--they need the income, or they need the kid to work to help out for his college expenses. You're assuming all parents are upper-middle class, or something.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Counter argument:

Really? If I had millions of dollars I'd still want my kid to learn the meaning of a dollar. Hard work to get one.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:44 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
I own my own business and enjoy the flexibility and the high per-hour rate, but I've considered getting a part time job at Publix or similar. It would get me out of the house (I work from home) and being in some extra money. Someone might assume that I'm a dim bulb or that I have no skills, but I don't really care about what random strangers think. It's very possible that some of the adults you see in these positions are in similar situations.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Counter argument:

Do you know many people like this? I know plenty of rich kids and most of them work. My son just graduated from a private, college prep school. He has a job (2 jobs actually) and all of his classmates have jobs. It is true that their parents (including myself) do give them more than people who have less money give their kids. However, most kids of successful parents want to be successful themselves.

It was tough a few years ago when my older kids graduated from HS (2012 & 2014). There weren't many good jobs for teens. Kids like mine who were able to go to work for their parents businesses were really lucky. They had jobs but many of their friends had trouble finding jobs.

Things are different now. It must vary by region but around here (FL) teens who want jobs have them. There are mostly teens and retirees working at FF places. There is a large contingent of hispanic immigrants around here. Some of them work at FF places when they first get here but if they have any job skills at all they wind up in landscaping, painting, housekeeping, driving and other higher paying jobs. Right now it isn't difficult to get a job.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:41 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
I still see a lot of teenagers at the Grocery stores working around here.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:05 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,365 times
[quote=Kim in FL;48338727]2) teens do not have a work ethic. teens have a hard time understanding things like coming to work, coming to work on time and working while on the clock. Plus, they can't be without their cellphone for 5 mins and we don't allow cellphones at work.

We aren't fast food, but we'd rather hire someone in their late 20s and up than hire someone 18-26. The turnover rate in that age bracket is insane because they are all entitled kids who don't understand the concept of being professional in the work place. I blame their parents.

k:

Old 06-01-2017, 03:17 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,440,379 times
When I see an older person, some seem really elderly too, I wonder how many are choosing
to work because they need the money and how many are simply bored. I bet it's mostly the
first reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment