Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 04:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

It was hard when I first was promoted and had to do two jobs while replacing myself, but things eventually smoothed out. Now I would say not hard usually, unless one of my staff has a major conflict to mediate, or the system I administer has a significant issue to troubleshoot and get fixed before a hard deadline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 06:00 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
To clarify, I meant hard as in mentally hard where you have to have the intelligence or mental capacity to do it, not physically hard. A good paying career at 80k or more.

Last edited by Berteau; 07-02-2017 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 07:36 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
So I have a job that is decent and a real career and pays decent, and sometimes I get asked if it is hard. I'm not sure how to answer, I mean I am good at it so it doesn't seem that hard to me, but it would be hard to someone less experienced or competent. So for those of you with higher paying careers, "is your job hard"?
Not at all. It's stressful at times and carries a lot of responsibility but compared to what my co-workers do who have the other position (there's really only two positions where I work) I personally find it to be much easier (having had worked the other position prior to the one I'm in). The hours are sometimes draining (much of that is because I have a long drive to work though), but I'd be devastated if something ever happened and I couldn't work there anymore since I enjoy the work. I'd much rather be doing something else (since it's definitely not my passion) but most of the times though it's a drag to go in, once I'm there I actually enjoy it; I often actually find that while I'm tired at home, working there really energizes me which is great because I hate being tired during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
To clarify, I meant hard as in mentally hard where you have to have the intelligence or mental capacity to do it, not physically hard. A good paying career at 80k or more.
It's definitely can be hard in that way--you have to know your stuff and many times use your "professional judgment". For me it's not hard because I've been working in that position for a number of years now and most of it's things I just know now. Sometimes someone will throw me a challenge, but I usually know how to look it up or refer them to someone who can help. It was harder when I first started, a bit of a learning curve. Now it's easy though. The stressfulness and responsibility is what can get hard. The stress is there often but the sense of responsibility is always there however.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 07-02-2017 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 07:57 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I have great job. Very rewarding. I am allied health care practitioner, without getting into specifics. It is also rather a niche job, very few of us for the country. Like one per 300 000 population.
Job is great. Employer - not so much. Numbers is all they care about. THAT makes job very hard. And because it is a niche profession and non compete is enforced - I am stuck.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
I was a professional nurse for a couple of decades and considered the work "hard" - fast-paced, intellectually and emotionally intensive each and every day; Often manually intensive as well. Rarely a day went by when you could just relax. Most days you returned home exhausted.

It's not a profession that I'd recommend for anyone wanting a "cushy job (easy, stress-free, well-paying)".

Old 07-03-2017, 06:41 AM

619 posts, read 574,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Right. And it depends on what definition of hard or difficult we are using. Physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.
Exactly. My job is not boring *to me* but I'm sure that many people would find database management to be boring and tedious. My job can be challenging when something goes wrong or we have a busy time at work and I have to stay late/work from home on weekends, but I do what I gotta do to get the job done. Other challenges include working with people who are difficult. But at the end of the day, I live what I'm doing so I'll take the challenges that come with the job.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:41 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
I find my job very easy and stress free. Others have failed, so I suppose it can't be that easy.
At my job, you can get a ranking depending on certain criteria. There are roughly 200 people in my area. Only myself and one other person hold the highest rank possible. The other person has worked for the company for about 5 or 6 years and she earned the ranking the same month I did. I earned it the first possible day I could- at 18 months of employment.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:20 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My job was hard to learn because it is completely different than anything I've ever done but I've been there 13 months now and rarely have to ask questions anymore. However it took a good 6 months. The hardest part is sitting at a desk for 6 hours. But it's only for 2 days a week so I deal with it. I don't have to deal much with anybody outside of our office (there's only the three of us), it's close to home and the hourly salary is pretty good. I have no complaints.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:26 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Here is my opinion. If someone tell you I have to go to work because I need it to pay my bill and I constantly need help from my coworker, that's an indication that the individual is not good at the job, and maybe not even the job that he or she wants.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Is my job hard? Not to me it isn't. There are many definitions of hard though. There is physically demanding, which this job is definitely not. There is mentally demanding, and this job can be mentally demanding, especially if an employee can't mentally switch from one patient/task to another quickly. Troubleshooting is also a big component. I am more knowledgeable about it than most others who do it because I have cross trained in several related fields and have done all the different fields for years. It requires several important skills: accuracy, educating patients, communication between several people, taking payments, etc. Without accuracy, employees don't last. It doesn't pay very well, but I don't care. I love it. Besides, who doesn't like wearing scrubs and tennis shoes every day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment