Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:56 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
My specific example right now (though this is not the only example) - I am the top person in my team. My company is growing and we need to urgently hire more people. We are paying above market salary to acquire good talent. However, since I joined the company couple years ago and company was at a different stage then, I am paid less than these new unproven hires are. When I ask about getting a salary adjustment, I get canned answers like "soon soon" and just push back. At this moment, I was super unmotivated to do anything.

When I vent to other people (such as you reading this), a common reply I get is "you should not worry about other people's pay or title and just worry about yourself and how you're doing"

This is something I struggle with. Any advice? Besides "don't worry about others" or "find a new job"

I was recently on the receiving end of this. As in, I was the new person who your company hired and paid more than they were paying you in spite of your seniority and loyalty. After you and I developed some rapport working together, you vented to me about your frustration about the gap between our compensation.

I was surprised that you had such intimate details about my compensation, but was equally disturbed that the company that I just started working for didn't value your and other seasoned people's experience and knowledge. I hated feeling like there was a perception that I was over compensated and was turned off by the negativity. I received a better offer with more pay and a more positive culture and after a very short tenure, I quit. You now have my responsibilities and yours and you still don't have more money.

Be careful about who you gripe to. Not everyone is as willing to hang around as you are.

Be brave - find someplace better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:20 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
You're not thinking.

Since this company needs new people so much they're willing to pay them more...and, according to you, you're tops on your team...you should be telling these people that you're going to need more money to continue working there, i.e. "If you don't pay me more/what I'm worth, I'm going to find an employer that will." I'm fairly certain they don't want to have to replace good people for currently filled positions on top of trying to fill their needs at open positions.
That speech will get you no where. They are paying the OP a lower salary, because they value more the new hires for some reason. So the OP shouldn't go into the supervisor's office and make demands, because they will call the OP's bluff. "We are sorry that you are unhappy here, perhaps it is time you look outside the company for a place which is a better fit for you. Thank you for your service, here is your severance package, please sign these documents...".

The OP has already asked for a raise and gotten delays, so it is time to update the resume, put together your best references (not your supervisors!) and find another job asking for higher compensation. This is how it works, because if the company truly did value the OP, they would be increasing the compensation as a way of retainment. Since they have not been doing this, it is clear, the OP needs to leave.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 07-06-2017 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So tell us OP, what DO you expect us to advise you outside of looking for another job?

Obviously they keep blowing you off in terms of pay raise/adjustments.
The OP expects us to come up with some magic, so the OP does something wonderful at work and they will suddenly realize how much value they really offer and shower the OP with cash.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:25 PM

36 posts, read 25,048 times
It is an awful situation to be in. The fact that it is hurting your morale and drive is an indicator that you HAVE to do something. If others at work notice this loss of "mojo" it will certainly hurt you in future financial negotiations.

It may be time to do some work and research what you are really worth.

You may have to buff up your resume and start looking for work with other companies. That will give you an idea of where you are in the market. If the numbers look favorable, you can present this to your current employer with the hopes of a pay raise. If not, be prepared to leave and take the most desirable offer.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times
Many companies pay only what they need to, and only what affects their bottom line so, sadly, profits are more important than fairness. As you said, they needed to pay more to get more good people. You on the other hand, were already there working for them, and they didn't have to do anything to keep that going the way it was.

It's the same everywhere. In (what's left of) the magazine subscription business, loyal subscribers who faithfully renew each year are not rewarded. They keep paying that $29.99 a year just to keep receiving. New subscribers, on the other hand, are seduced into subscribing, with special offers and gifts in their first year. It's not fair at all to the loyal subscribers because it's all about numbers and profits.

I feel badly for you. If they value you, though, and if you value yourself, you should negotiate while looking around for better prospects.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
This is pretty common. I found out I make about 10k more than some of my coworkers because I negotiated up. I was also hired after all but one of them.

It's the way of the world, unfortunately. You have to know your worth and fight for it.
I've always been paid more than my co-workers doing the same job for this very reason, I asked for it when being hired. People don't realize they have a range budgeted for the job, and if you ask outside of the range after they have decided they want you, they simply get upper management to approve of the higher salary. As a result, people value things they have paid more money for. So you get the better chairs, better equipment and better treatment from other management because they know you are being paid more for a reason. The very fact that you value yourself more than the others telegraphs to management you have more to offer. Management isn't so skilled to always recognize someone who has superior skills, but they know a loser when they see one, because a loser accepts the offer without question or gives a lowball figure for salary requirements.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:45 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Don't ask for a raise,
tell them "I gotta have it or I gotta go".
Or shut up.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:35 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
Many companies pay only what they need to, and only what affects their bottom line so, sadly, profits are more important than fairness. As you said, they needed to pay more to get more good people. You on the other hand, were already there working for them, and they didn't have to do anything to keep that going the way it was.

It's the same everywhere. In (what's left of) the magazine subscription business, loyal subscribers who faithfully renew each year are not rewarded. They keep paying that $29.99 a year just to keep receiving. New subscribers, on the other hand, are seduced into subscribing, with special offers and gifts in their first year. It's not fair at all to the loyal subscribers because it's all about numbers and profits.

I feel badly for you. If they value you, though, and if you value yourself, you should negotiate while looking around for better prospects.
And interestingly enough, those new subscribers, who only subscribed for the great deal, drop as soon as the price goes up, so they never really get a good return on that customer. Just like paying more to get the new hire, who then just as they get productive, turns around and leaves for someone else. They leave so fast you never get the value out of their work. Like with the magazine, they aren't creating profit, they're creating churn. Sad part for so many businesses is management is too stupid to realize it.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:35 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
There's a parable in the Bible about this: Employer hires workers at 6am, then at noon, then at 4pm and he's paying them all a full day's wages. When the earlier hires complain, the employer reminds them they were happy and willing when they took the job.

Don't let what others are receiving dictate your attitude or productivity.

Envy is a slippery slope.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Oh yeah? I make $40K in California while my family members are making $100K also in California. How do you think I feel?

Why should you feel any way at all?

What are you doing that only pays 40k compared to what they're doing that pays 100?

OP: Unless you can negotiate a pay raise, your only only option is to find another job. And yes, stop worrying about everyone else and focus on yourself. If you want more money, go get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment