Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:58 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,604,526 times

Advertisements

They have to keep track of your hours and pay minimum wage if you don't earn enough commission. Of course, if you can't sell enough to earn more than minimum wage, they will fire you. If it's a decent place they will give you time to learn.

It's a very very boring job and you hear no all the time and people scream at you and hang up on you and all that. But I did it due to it making more money than any other no skills job. I did it in high school. And after college while looking for a good job.

If you can get even the tiniest promotion it will be so much better. SO much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,761,654 times
The key to being a success at telemarketing is to create your own script because it sounds more natural. That's how I became a successful telemarketer which led to sales bonuses. Eventually I left because my mom felt that it was something out there better and helped me get my first professional job.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:06 PM

810 posts, read 669,023 times
I did this a couple of times after college. You're basically looking for suckers and the really gullible. The fast talking salespeople who lie or leave out huge details are the ones who make any kind of money and as such never seriously reprimanded by management. This one woman I worked with was named Debra. She would come to work 20-30 minutes late and outsell everyone by absurd margins.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:17 PM

You might be calling people with cable subscriptions to offer then free HBO for a time. You might call for the Police fund for families of slain officers. It isn't all useless crap.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
I did this a couple of times after college. You're basically looking for suckers and the really gullible. The fast talking salespeople who lie or leave out huge details are the ones who make any kind of money and as such never seriously reprimanded by management. This one woman I worked with was named Debra. She would come to work 20-30 minutes late and outsell everyone by absurd margins.
Depends on the place. I would have been fired for that.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:17 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,153,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You might be calling people with cable subscriptions to offer then free HBO for a time. You might call for the Police fund for families of slain officers. It isn't all useless crap.
The point is, I didn't ask for anyone to call and try to get money out of me. I don't pay for a cell phone as a means for solicitors to contact me regarding things that I have absolutely no interest in. It's supposed to be a convenience, not a hassle.

Like it's not enough that I have to listen to commercials on the radio, look at billboards on the highway, sift through junk mail, deal with pan handlers knocking on my car window, deal with constant internet ads, remove ads from under my windshield wipers, throw away ads that people slip under my front door, have every store I go to ask if I want to join their membership program, waste time watching TV ads, and delete email spam. No, I have to have some bottom feeder scum calling me at 5:30 AM on Saturday morning trying to scam me out of my hard-earned money.

Telemarketers really are the lowest of the low. I would say what I think should happen to them, but it would likely get me banned.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:54 AM

Telemarketing is not a job someone should have if they are paying rent or a mortgage since it's so unstable.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:57 AM

7,200 posts, read 9,353,135 times
Nobody ever calls you on the phone or knocks on your front door to give you a good deal.

Therefore, I never answer either unless I know who is there.

So I would never accept a job that requires me to annoy people. That's not a job, it's a sentence.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,008,280 times
If someone has to convince me I need something I don't already have, I don't really need it.

Also, why do some telemarketers have to get so nasty and spew profanity just because you say "no " ?

Telemarketers---------lowest of the low

Reading posts where people try to defend telemarketers makes me laugh.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
If someone has to convince me I need something I don't already have, I don't really need it.

Also, why do some telemarketers have to get so nasty and spew profanity just because you say "no " ?

Telemarketers---------lowest of the low

Reading posts where people try to defend telemarketers makes me laugh.
Because they are under pressure to get sales and will be sent home if they don't meet the quota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment