Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:18 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Because they are under pressure to get sales and will be sent home if they don't meet the quota.
And they have to make 3 efforts at most places. I politely inform them I know they have to do that but I am not willing to stay on to listen. I politely let them know this and hang up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 03:04 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,532,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They have to keep track of your hours and pay minimum wage if you don't earn enough commission. Of course, if you can't sell enough to earn more than minimum wage, they will fire you.
What are you saying?

I thought if I work for an hour and sell nothing I will be paid nothing for that hour.

What is the law in the US about paying an hourly wage if you get commissions?

Old 07-19-2017, 03:22 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
If they aren't going to pay you, then they can't require you to work a certain number of hours per week, either.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Also, it sounds pretty awful and not worth it. I'd look for something else. Telemarketing is not easy to do anymore, most people will hang up. And the company might not pay the commissions they claim to.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:05 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
I've always resisted commission jobs. I have done telemarketing. As recently as a month ago for a company I have worked on and off for over 5 years. Telemarketing is pretty much over with unless you are trying to schedule appointments, send out emails, or mail stuff out for consideration. Residential telemarketing I can assure you is over.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:07 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
What are you saying?

I thought if I work for an hour and sell nothing I will be paid nothing for that hour.

When I worked in telemarketing if you didn't have any sales by 1pm you would be sent home and only paid for a half of day. That's why I worked the hardest in the 9am hour because I didn't want to be sent home early.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
What are you saying?

I'm saying it's illegal not to pay you. If you don't make enough commissions, they have to pay you minimum wage. Of course, they don't have to keep you. If you can't sell enough to make above minimum wage, you won't want the job and they won't want to have you.

I worked other pure commissions jobs and it was the same. Hours were kept for legal purposes so that at least minimum wage was earned. Even if the lowest we could earn to keep our jobs was $50K/year, it is still the law.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Also, it sounds pretty awful and not worth it. I'd look for something else. Telemarketing is not easy to do anymore, most people will hang up. And the company might not pay the commissions they claim to.
It's never been easy. But it does pay more than minimum wage. That was the whole reason I did it as a teen. I wanted to earn more. Most of what I sold was very forgettable. The worst client was NY Telephone. Selling a bs 'home wiring' product that I hated. And yet, companies still sell it. AT&T tried to sell it to me the other day. Those calls were extraordinarily annoying to people and they screamed at me. I didn't blame them.

I worked for one place where I refused to say what was on the script. It just wasn't right and sure enough they were raided by the FBI. But mainly I worked at a very legit place with multiple and changing clients. It was nice to change things up.

If one is smart, one will have a great work ethic, sell well, and get promoted ASAP. Even the tiniest promotion - anything that gets you off those phones is good.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:05 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It's never been easy. But it does pay more than minimum wage. That was the whole reason I did it as a teen. I wanted to earn more. Most of what I sold was very forgettable. The worst client was NY Telephone. Selling a bs 'home wiring' product that I hated. And yet, companies still sell it. AT&T tried to sell it to me the other day. Those calls were extraordinarily annoying to people and they screamed at me. I didn't blame them.

I worked for one place where I refused to say what was on the script. It just wasn't right and sure enough they were raided by the FBI. But mainly I worked at a very legit place with multiple and changing clients. It was nice to change things up.

If one is smart, one will have a great work ethic, sell well, and get promoted ASAP. Even the tiniest promotion - anything that gets you off those phones is good.

I was selling accidental death insurance so you know that was rough. lol

Old 07-20-2017, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I was selling accidental death insurance so you know that was rough. lol
I do! For one of our clients, we were trying to give that free! and yet ............ ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment