Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:46 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,290,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Yes. I'm Confused, angry, sad, depressed, scared, and feel alone.

It was an assistant project manager position in construction management. I supported the project manager.

Looking it now I should have sat down with my manager and had a serious conversation about giving me more responsibilities. I did ask for more work, but not enough or forcefully enough. He needed to be pushed. I was actually planning on asking to be on other projects the next time we sat down. This might have saved me, but who knows.

Thank you for your comments everyone.
Good for you, taking to heart some of the input here. A lot of people who post about such problems will just argue with those who make suggestions. It sounds like you are very willing to reflect on your work at this job and learn from it.

The situation is unfortunate and hard not to be worried and upset. The comment shared to you from the co-worker was unnecessary, not helpful or constructive and particularly cruel, IMO. This kind of thing can be a real blow to your confidence, so try not to allow that to happen (I know, easier said, than done). Try to focus on what you learned at this job and out of this experience and bring that to your next gig. The fact that they are willing to write a recommendation letter is a pretty good sign that your tenure at this place wasn't all bad in their eyes.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 12:09 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,957,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Good for you, taking to heart some of the input here. A lot of people who post about such problems will just argue with those who make suggestions. It sounds like you are very willing to reflect on your work at this job and learn from it.

The situation is unfortunate and hard not to be worried and upset. The comment shared to you from the co-worker was unnecessary, not helpful or constructive and particularly cruel, IMO. This kind of thing can be a real blow to your confidence, so try not to allow that to happen (I know, easier said, than done). Try to focus on what you learned at this job and out of this experience and bring that to your next gig. The fact that they are willing to write a recommendation letter is a pretty good sign that your tenure at this place wasn't all bad in their eyes.

Good luck!
Well the coworker didn't actually say that comment, which makes it all the more bizarre. Like he was really searching hard for excuses.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:25 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,770,018 times
These things happen.

You just have to keep your head up. Right now, I'm locked in a conflict with my supervisor and I am doing everything possible to find another job before she decides she doesn't want me anymore.

Treat every day as your last at your job.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:39 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,812,158 times
happened to me yesterday over some crazy miscummuciation and drama from a supervisor. Just learn from it and don't let it happen again!

Old 08-06-2017, 01:00 PM

I could keep posting and reading this thread all day long. I have nothing to do but sulk and analyze this mess. Now I'm feeling so stupid for leaving my last job (I wanted to move closer to home) where I was doing a good job and they were giving me more responsibilities towards promotion. Now I'm sitting here unemployed with a ding I have to explain on my resume.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:09 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,107,645 times
Quote:
I could keep posting and reading this thread all day long. I have nothing to do but sulk and analyze this mess. Now I'm feeling so stupid for leaving my last job (I wanted to move closer to home) where I was doing a good job and they were giving me more responsibilities towards promotion. Now I'm sitting here unemployed with a ding I have to explain on my resume.
I assume your old job (or a comparable one) aren't an option?

I don't think I'd sweat it though. Just get out here and start beating the pavement. If you get asked about the last position, tell them what you told us. You took the job in order to relocate closer to home, but it just wasn't a good fit. Make sure you have a good response to the follow-up question, as to why it wasn't a good fit that doesn't look like you're trashing the last company. It might even be good to contact your supervisor and ask what he will say when he gets calls. If you feel like you left on good terms, you might even suggest an actual response. As long as it's not a lie, and doesn't make them look bad, he might be open to it. Be proactive (show initiative -lol). Dust yourself off and get back on the horse, this is just a minor bump.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I assume your old job (or a comparable one) aren't an option?

I don't think I'd sweat it though. Just get out here and start beating the pavement. If you get asked about the last position, tell them what you told us. You took the job in order to relocate closer to home, but it just wasn't a good fit. Make sure you have a good response to the follow-up question, as to why it wasn't a good fit that doesn't look like you're trashing the last company. It might even be good to contact your supervisor and ask what he will say when he gets calls. If you feel like you left on good terms, you might even suggest an actual response. As long as it's not a lie, and doesn't make them look bad, he might be open to it. Be proactive (show initiative -lol). Dust yourself off and get back on the horse, this is just a minor bump.
This job is basically the same as my old job, but as I said, with little work and little responsibilities. My old company would be an option if I still,lived there.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:38 PM

1,104 posts, read 921,048 times
OP you're not alone. I worked for a company for several months and got fired over a very minor infraction. It was a shock to me, and damaged my confidence. But when I got back to looking for work again, it was a relief to learn that many other people had been fired from the company too in the same circumstances, and that the company wasn't taken very seriously. At one point they were hiring and firing at the rate of one person per day. That's just how some businesses like to roll, but that's their prerogative, not yours.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:32 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Quote:
Why not just say that and lay me off?
Depending on what state you're in it may not make any difference other than making you feel better.

In Texas being laid off is no different than firing without cause. So if I don't like the brand shirts you wear I can legally fire you. And you can legally go file for unemployment and likely get it.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:01 PM

227 posts, read 746,267 times
This happened last year to my co worker. She was let go after 10 years with the company. No reason given just cut backs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment