Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:16 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times

Advertisements

I was just let go from my job after 5.5 months and am sitting in shock. I thought I was doing great and fit in and had NO negative feedback my whole time there. Is this normal after No negative feedback??! I never made mistakes that I know of. I had the same job at the last company I was with and it was going well. They were giving me more responsibility, but I wanted to move. He basically just said that I wasnt' good enough for my pay or didn't know enough for my pay. Then said someone I worked with called me "the greenest person he worked with", but I was skeptical of this and called him and he said no way did he say that.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't have anything to do almost my whole time there. I don't know if there just wasn't anywhere to put me? But then why not just lay me off for lack of work? They have also been known to fire or layoff a lot of people, but I have no idea what I did. This is scary to me because now I will always be scare of being let go. Please give me some insight.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-08-2017 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Corrected typo at user's request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 03:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Ideally, a company will warn someone by writing them up, before firing them. But some places do not bother with that. It is possible they had to let you go for business reasons, but chose to blame it on you and say you are fired. A lot of companies don't want to accept blame so they push it off on the employee and say "you weren't working hard enough" or whatever. This is very common especially on temp or contract positions. Hopefully, you will be able to collect unemployment benefits.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:34 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Sorry about that, but just sounds like there wasn't enough work to support an employee in that position.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Sorry about that, but just sounds like there wasn't enough work to support an employee in that position.
Why not just say that and lay me off?

Old 08-04-2017, 03:46 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
I know it hurts and stings, but unfortunately nothing you can do about it. There's nothing illegal about it.

Employers in general can lay a worker off for any reason (at will) except for obvious ones (age, race, etc., knowingly at least).

File for unemployment and start looking for another job ASAP.

Vent here if you need to.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:08 PM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
"the greenest person he worked with" sounds like negative feedback to me. Sounds like you weren't a good fit, just move on.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Because they have to pretend it was the employee's fault.

I was let go from a 2 week temp assignment, they couldn't give me any work to do and didn't know what or how to delegate anything. I talked it over with them, they said they would "get around to it". After 2 weeks, they said "we have a personality conflict with you". Yeah, sure. Whatever. The problem was their own poor decision to hire someone without a clear role to put them into.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Because they have to pretend it was the employee's fault.

I was let go from a 2 week temp assignment, they couldn't give me any work to do and didn't know what or how to delegate anything. I talked it over with them, they said they would "get around to it". After 2 weeks, they said "we have a personality conflict with you". Yeah, sure. Whatever. The problem was their own poor decision to hire someone without a clear role to put them into.
I really think that's might be what happened, but I think there should have been somewhere else to put me. I just don't know though.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:20 PM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Maybe they thought you should be more proactive in finding work to do? I don't know. What kind of job was it?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:13 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
It can be a million reason, one of those being that most jobs are political and people look for ways to get people or friends they know into the door. Don't fear the future if you have the skills and competency to go work somewhere else. I remember when Arthur Anderson didn't offer me a position, and months later they completely shut down and went out of business. Remain hopeful and the right door and company will be right in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment